Merging meshes. Help.

ecksile

Hello, today's topic is about merging multiple meshes into a single usable mesh. I can't do it. Ive tried multiple things none have worked. I did get it to merge once but don't know how i did it as I've tried that same process again to no avail.. Its a body re placer and i was able to merge the torso and legs somehow.. but i cant seem to merge the feet with the rest of the body. Ive looked up ways to merge meshes in blender it keeps pointing to booleans, but every time i use them it puts holes in the mesh which makes the mesh unusable. Another way was to create faces on the whole mesh which also left holes in the mesh and didn't merge. The one way I got the Torso and legs of the mesh to merge was by exporting as .nif then importing that .nif. On re import they were separated again i re welded all the vertices and exported again. When i re imported again the torso and legs were welded but if i try that process with the feet it wont work. I'm stumped and sad, As this is the last thing i need to do to get the mesh in game and working. I have an older version which i got in game by repeating the process but instead exporting as an .obj this in turn made the mesh loose all its texture data but welded everything. Any help would be appreciated. As you can see in the screenies they are welded and merged/joined in blender but on export separate into 2 pieces in the nif.

Blender

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/outlaw_027/MERGE-1.png

Nifskope

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/outlaw_027/MERGE.png

HI!!

Im pretty new to blendering and all that stuff but I love it. Blenders lots of fun and everything!

So anyway if you select both of them in object mode and hit control j then you can join em into one object. And then stick the verts together and remove doubles.

Hoep that helps u.

Ive already joined them via Mesh merge this only makes them a single user in blender upon export they are broken up back into their original groups. Ive already merged the vertices as well. But thank you for the answer.

Alright, well i guess you should make sure that you have the latest versions of niftools and blender cause its really important to to make stuff work smoothly as possible.

If you update your gona have to install python 2.6 but you can keep 2.5 installed also cause you might still want to be able to use wryebash for oblivion stuff.

Im gonna keep my eye on this thread cause I want to learn stuff also!

niftools exporter splits meshes up auto on export, by material assignment. diif mats = diff mesh object, so it splits it up even if u weld.

in blender, b4 u export be sure to delete all materials and/or assign basic blank material to everything.

that should solve your issue

Ill give it a shot but i think if i export without any materials i might lose the uv maps as well. brb.

****EDIT Yes, no more UV map. Its all welded but no texture. =[

*****EDIT EDIT Well I got it in game with working textures i just added the feet as an extra nitristrips which i didn't want to do, and hope to fix later. At least i got it in game with textures now to just perfect the body mesh and Ill be set. If anyone knows how to merge those 2 please tell me as i haven't given up on getting it to a single piece just set aside for now. Thank You for your time both of you.

are you SURE theres no UV map anymore? Ive nver really used Blender but i cant imagine why the UV map would dissapear just by assigning new materials to it.

In nifskope, look for the meshes Material Properties, or texture assignment, try to right click the block and 'Edit UV' When that pops up, you should see whatever UV map you used on it.

UV's are hard to blow away unless you really try hard at it.... (unless in Blender its easy?. I would think it should take extra work to destroy UVs. Just by assigning a new material, that should not happen)

I had already assigned materials before exportation then removed them to try your theory. I exported them as a single mesh without any material properties. I then opened nifskope and looked inside. There where 2 version of the mesh one with out the feet just the upper body and texture properties, and one fully welded. the fully welded version had no material properties at all it actually only had the tristips nothing else under the nitristrips block. Upon re importation into blender to add new materials all UV mapping was gone. =/

If you export a mesh without material in blender, you lost the UV-Map.

But Skree say it right, if your Object have two materials, it would be splitet in two Shapes after export.

To fix that, import all meshes, join all objects that use the same textur and delete all materials until one.