Merging meshes. Help.

ecksile

I tried that as well i remove the material on the the feet and joined them and exported and the feet lost their uv map property but wer welded. i guess i could try removing the body material.

blender sounds ghetto then. Max nor Maya strip UVs if you dont have a mterial assigned. Thats really silly behavior for a program.

Also dont forget to UNHIDE all things in your scene before you export

delete all un-needed things too.

Then select only what you want and do an Export Selection.

The options in the properties box matter, so pick them carefully.

Typically for skinned meshes you dont want to stripify the mesh, so uncheck Generate Strips... atleast, as far as i can recall... things are a bit diff in max too =/

I suppose that's why blender is free...I like it though as its pretty easy to use. As for the stripifiying i normally wouldn't for a body replacer but I'm using breezes animation skeleton and rig which comes with a female body already rigged to the skeleton but in his nif he uses tristrips for the mesh instead of shapes. I'm not to worried about the feet problem as of now as i have played in game with the mesh active and there aren't any problems i see other then the body needing to be rigged better. (I just wanted to see if i could get it in game before perfecting it.) So today i should be just correcting the rigging and doing some more figure proportioning and correcting. Hopefully ill be done by tonight.

*****EDIT So i had a theory...and that theory went like this....I import the completed model i got in game into blender and then merge and combine the feet and bpdy like before.Then export, cross my fingers and do a back flip. And VIOLA it worked combined and textured and in game as a single mesh. WOOT! :banana: If anyone else should ever come across this problem YOU HAVE TO DO THE BACK FLIP! OR IT WILL NOT WORK!!

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I'll say how I got around this issue in Blender just in case someone else (like I did) finds this thread via search. My solution came from a combination of what is said here above. Niftools exports anything with different materials as a separate data block, and deleting mats deletes UVs in blender... so what to do? Re-assign the mats, and here is how I did it.

Open/Import your mesh in blender and go into edit mode. Select a face in face select mode (ctrl tab 3) and switch to the editing panel in the buttons window (F9). In the "Links and Materials" Tab you'll see what material the Face you selected has assigned to it. In many cases it will be noname. Now if you select a face from the part the Niftools keeps separating out you can see it has a different name here, like noname.00 So what we have to do is make everything use noname instead of a mix between that and noname.00 This is easily enough done however. Just select a face that uses the material you want all to use, noname in our example, then hit A twice to select every face (or specifically all the ones you want to effect). Now there are many faces selected but one, the first one you hit, will be kind of grayed out. That is the active face, and the information displayed in the "Links and Materials" tab pertains to that single face. Well we have everthing selected and our active face has the material we want to keep so now we hit "ASSIGN" button just below that to give that material to every other face selected. Now on export, provided you've Joined the objects already, they should export as one data block. Its kind of similar to how you add two-sided to all faces in blender really. Select one face, set two-sided, then select all and hit the tiny copy button near where you find two sided in the "Texture Face" tab. Of course you don't need to do this for nif's since you can just add a stencil property later, but if you want it to display two-sided in Blender's 3d view window while you're modeling it that's how you do it.

I really do have to say thanks to all you guys above since you helped me find a consistent method for merging meshes in blender now. Which kicks butt since the next thing I wanted to teach myself was how to add accessories to hairstyles and such, which definitely requires merging them first. Can't make egms off multiple datablocks and all. I tried that and it either makes the world explode or simply fails outright, seemingly with equal probability. Buuuttt now I can mix and match hair and useless but fun accessories to my heart's content.