A few questions about making mods

Buttitchski

Hi all,

If these questions have been asked before I apologize in advance.

Is it possible to add a waterfall to the FO3 world? There is obviously gravity, would it cause water to fall in a natural looking setting?

How would one go about adding cutscenes (not sure of that is the correct term here). My example would be the scene in Zeta when you fall out of the trash bin. For a brief moment the player is not in control, you just watch what unfolds. How is that created? What if (in my mod) I wanted the character to fall through a trap but, grab the edge and pull themselves back up? All being viewed (by the player) in third person. How would I implement that?

Where is the electricity coming from in the FO3 world? We have lights, working computers, power cells that need to be charged from some source. It couldn't be left over from the past. What battery could stay charged 200 years? Maybe, the alien power cells. That's the only one I can think of that could squeak by.

My idea is to re-energize the wastes through an elaborate quest. The idea I have is (more than likely) more than I am capable of. I'm just tossing around ideas. But, the quest would need a waterfall, a dam and some scripted scenes. Seems, new textures/meshes for those items as well.

My last question would be, for a mod the size of Zeta, what time frame and number of people would it take to create something with that much content?

Thanks for any input.

I'll explain my idea a little further...

While exploring the wasteland the player happens across a huge waterfall and lake, where they meet a man that convinces them to help him bring electricity back into the major towns/cities. The task would have the player venturing out to gather the materials to build the dam. Steel girders, cement bags... the PC will travel to remote towns to gather the items. They will then have to walk back to the work site with Brahmin hauling their cargo (no fast travel) an a guard or two. As the materials are gathered they will see the dam start to take shape. When they return from each task, they will see more of the construction has been complete. After the last of the materials are gathered they will be sent out to repair power lines. Each city/town could be a separate set of objectives. Slowly, the major parts of the wastes could be lit up. I have many more thoughts on this, but I have no interest in making a crappy mod.

Thoughts...?

Is it possible to add a waterfall to the FO3 world? There is obviously gravity, would it cause water to fall in a natural looking setting?

I do not believe you can add a waterfall to the game. This is based on speculation as the only other time I see water above the water plane was in the project purity tank. :P

How would one go about adding cutscenes (not sure of that is the correct term here). My example would be the scene in Zeta when you fall out of the trash bin. For a brief moment the player is not in control, you just watch what unfolds. How is that created? What if (in my mod) I wanted the character to fall through a trap but, grab the edge and pull themselves back up? All being viewed (by the player) in third person. How would I implement that?

For cut-scenes the best thing to do is just look at how Beth did it or download The Cube from FO3nexus.com and see how they worked theirs, it's done very well.

Where is the electricity coming from in the FO3 world? We have lights, working computers, power cells that need to be charged from some source. It couldn't be left over from the past. What battery could stay charged 200 years? Maybe, the alien power cells. That's the only one I can think of that could squeak by.

Nuclear power my friend!

My idea is to re-energize the wastes through an elaborate quest. The idea I have is (more than likely) more than I am capable of. I'm just tossing around ideas. But, the quest would need a waterfall, a dam and some scripted scenes. Seems, new textures/meshes for those items as well.

That sounds very ambitious and I would love to see that! I would support you 100%!

My last question would be, for a mod the size of Zeta, what time frame and number of people would it take to create something with that much content?

Differences: They have a fairly large team and they are paid. You are one and maybe a few others will help (every modder has projects of their own going on so you may only have a few supporters) and unpaid!

In my opinion start working on it and start reaching out for help if you need it or otherwise learn it yourself and do it! Take Tony, he is creating a mod by himself and only requests volunteers if they want to help, he doesn't need help but for times sake he will accept any offers.

iceD

theres some waterfall parts in the geck so you could do it.

asfor ppl & size?. it just depends on how motivated you are obviously the more ppl the better. i needed a garage for my mod & i had it finished in 1 day, so i guess once you know what your doing in the geck you can make your layout quite soon.

the rest of the stuff is the hardest by makeing the terminals, npc's ect ect.

I do not believe you can add a waterfall to the game. This is based on speculation as the only other time I see water above the water plane was in the project purity tank. :P

For cut-scenes the best thing to do is just look at how Beth did it or download The Cube from FO3nexus.com and see how they worked theirs, it's done very well.

Nuclear power my friend!

That sounds very ambitious and I would love to see that! I would support you 100%!

Differences: They have a fairly large team and they are paid. You are one and maybe a few others will help (every modder has projects of their own going on so you may only have a few supporters) and unpaid!

In my opinion start working on it and start reaching out for help if you need it or otherwise learn it yourself and do it! Take Tony, he is creating a mod by himself and only requests volunteers if they want to help, he doesn't need help but for times sake he will accept any offers.

iceD

Thanks for the input!

1. That's kinda what I figured. All the games water is on a level plane.

2. I have the Cube. Your right, it is very well done. I was totally impressed. I'll eyeball it in the G.E.C.K.

3. Where is the nearest Nuclear Power Plant? Maybe we should build one?

4. I think I am too ambitious for my skill level. But, I like to push myself to learn new stuff. Cube is really the first mod that made me go "Holy Crap!!" I want to be that caliber.

5. Yeah, I am starting to realize why a game takes so long to produce. So many things to learn. And learn to do well. I seem to be best at level design. As far as getting paid...

Have you even heard of Stardock or Wincustomize? They have a site that lets the community upload "skins" for Windows. The skins that are of the highest quality are called "Master Skins". These themes are for sale (usually no more than $5.00 us). There is really no reason that model couldn't be applied to game mods. I would have paid 5 buck for cube. It added about that many hours of gameplay and would have been worth it. The authors could have made a few bones for all their effort. They could add a section to this site titled "Master Mods" and let the authors charge what they feel is fair, giving the site a cut. Maybe I should quite giving away ideas. :O

HI!

Just a couple of things.

Animated waterfalls are totally possible.

Honestly i dont know if there were any waterfalls in vanilla oblivion but Unique landscapes adds alot of waterfalls.

You should examine that mod as reference.

waterfalls do NOT use havok physics, lol, they are a looping animation.

Selling mods would create a huge chilling effect on the modding community. Modding has made great advancement because modders are willing to share their knowlege and resources with one another, if sharing resources means that you will gain less money than you used to many will stop sharing. there are also probably some legal issues.

HI!

Just a couple of things.

Animated waterfalls are totally possible.

Honestly i dont know if there were any waterfalls in vanilla oblivion but Unique landscapes adds alot of waterfalls.

You should examine that mod as reference.

waterfalls do NOT use havok physics, lol, they are a looping animation.

Selling mods would create a huge chilling effect on the modding community. Modding has made great advancement because modders are willing to share their knowlege and resources with one another, if sharing resources means that you will gain less money than you used to many will stop sharing. there are also probably some legal issues.

I have Oblivion and will check out that mod, thanks.

I was just talking with a friend and he said pretty much what you did. It's not likely that it would be aloud due to copyright issues and most would just avoid the "paid for" mods.

There are a number of power stations in the Wasteland that appear to function to some degree, though it is not made clear what generates the power.

While training in electronics an instructor told me of a battery concept that provided electricity from the radioactive decay of isotopes. The inventor claimed that he had developed a large battery of that type that was shielded and could be placed in the basement of a home and provide all the power it needed for 100 years. The reasons given for the battery never being used: radioactive isotopes are dangerous and anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and such a battery would take a home off the power grid for 100 years and that is bad business for power distributors. Nicola Tesla also had a concept that would allow power to be transmitted like radio waves. A home would just need a receiving coil placed like an antenna to receive enough power to operate, eliminating the need for power lines. It was also not profitable and was discredited along with its inventor.

So back to your mod: what is the reason for building the dam and fixing power lines? Engineering a dam is extremely difficult and receiving payment for providing the power would be impossible to ensure considering the anarchy of the Wasteland. Even if you were able to build a dam that didn't collapse when the water started to back up and install the massive turbines and generators needed and acquire the engineers and technicians needed to make it all work, what would stop the Enclave or the Outcasts are even a well organized group of raiders from seizing control of it?

I remember a portion of the post-apocalypse movie The Postman wherein a group of people occupied an existing power generating dam, kept the power for themselves and defended their prize by shooting at anyone who threatened to take it from them.

Altruism is one of the first victims when an ordered society collapses.

Speaking of which: you cannot sell Fallout 3 mods made with the GECK because Bethesda Softworks owns the rights to the GECK and anything that is produced with it. You agree to that by downloading and using it. That is part of the long and boring text that nobody reads before checking [X] I accept this agreement.

Now this is what I'm after, some thought provoking responses...

There are a number of power stations in the Wasteland that appear to function to some degree, though it is not made clear what generates the power.

Right, those stations suggest to me, in addition to the power lines seen throughout the wasteland, that the area was still using today's power delivery system. Sub-stations and a wiring grid, provided by some "source", either hydro-electric or nuclear. But, there isn't anything in the game that addresses the need for power to establish any form of modern civilization (although the game world is an odd mix of old, present and futuristic tech). In-game we have radios, refrigeration, computer terminals, all that require some power source. Batteries just don't seem t cut it. Your not going to fire up Liberty Prime with a handful of DuraCells. :)

While training in electronics an instructor told me of a battery concept that provided electricity from the radioactive decay of isotopes. The inventor claimed that he had developed a large battery of that type that was shielded and could be placed in the basement of a home and provide all the power it needed for 100 years. The reasons given for the battery never being used: radioactive isotopes are dangerous and anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and such a battery would take a home off the power grid for 100 years and that is bad business for power distributors. Nicola Tesla also had a concept that would allow power to be transmitted like radio waves. A home would just need a receiving coil placed like an antenna to receive enough power to operate, eliminating the need for power lines. It was also not profitable and was discredited along with its inventor.

It's truly a shame Telsa was discredited. That man was truly ahead of his time. I imagine the world would be a much different place had we followed his vision. Since the time setting of the game suggests a society a bit further advanced than ours, with the laser/plasma weapons available, maybe a Tesla Coil or a portable nuclear reactor makes more sense.

So back to your mod: what is the reason for building the dam and fixing power lines? Engineering a dam is extremely difficult and receiving payment for providing the power would be impossible to ensure considering the anarchy of the Wasteland. Even if you were able to build a dam that didn't collapse when the water started to back up and install the massive turbines and generators needed and acquire the engineers and technicians needed to make it all work, what would stop the Enclave or the Outcasts are even a well organized group of raiders from seizing control of it?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a dam. It was just my first thought. After reading your comments a Reactor seems more appropriate. My thoughts were, sooner or later, if people survived and some remained civil, society would eventually rebuild. The need for electricity would be inevitable. I was thinking about some form of grand quest that would establish a power source for the major areas (whatever it may be), that would result in more light for certain "built up" areas. One thing that came to mind was SpeedyB64 and RW2112's Fallout Street Lights mod. It would be somewhat cool to complete the quest and see things start to function that are still on the grid. Areas with street lights could fire up, traffic signals would start to function, giving a bit of life to the wasteland. As far as the opposition to your goals, seizure of the "facility" would make for a nice quest as well. Regain control with your posse of choice to complete the main quest. An old nuclear power plant seems a better fit.

I remember a portion of the post-apocalypse movie The Postman wherein a group of people occupied an existing power generating dam, kept the power for themselves and defended their prize by shooting at anyone who threatened to take it from them.

So, we just go kick their asses and take it. ;)

Altruism is one of the first victims when an ordered society collapses.

True. But dear old dad was still a selfless guy. He gave his life for the "good of humanity". The story line could be tailored for multiple outcomes depending on your disposition. An evil character could join the forces in control to keep the good guys out or vice-versa. To me, the game seems biased towards the "good guy" role anyway. It seems to fit that his son would be of similar character.

Speaking of which: you cannot sell Fallout 3 mods made with the GECK because Bethesda Softworks owns the rights to the GECK and anything that is produced with it. You agree to that by downloading and using it. That is part of the long and boring text that nobody reads before checking [X] I accept this agreement.

I know. It just seems a shame that people donate huge amounts of time and effort into learning/creating/releasing their work just for a few cheers and jeers. I understand the free flow of knowledge and the community is a great reward but, a financial gain isn't always bad. You have to pay for software, computers, web access and then give your time to learn. I know the game companies aren't going to let you make any cash no matter what you've put into it. Business wise, it makes perfect sense but, it still sucks. I figure a scenario like this, Bethsoft hosts the site for, "for purchase" user created content, they take a commission and give the creator the rest. Their site generates traffic, their hosted content makes them money, the loyal gamers and mod creators now get something for all their effort. It seems like a win, win. The game company still retains all copyrighted works. They created the tools to make it, they host it, they keep it. I know, it's never gonna happen but, I can dream can't I?

Dragon... LOL!

A little deeper thought on the quest line could go something like this...

You must establish a group soldiers to regain control of the facility. (Nuclear power plant sounds cool, would probably look cool in the wasteland too) Is there one in the Stalker mod?

You then need to recruit a scientist(s) to help rebuild the facility.

Once the facility is operational, then you are called upon to fix the power lines.

You are then tasked with turning on all those sub-stations, providing power to it's surrounding area.

Leaves allot of room for multiple side quests as well. Maybe even some repeatable quest like Bethesda Defense.

BP, I'll give you some time to craft a reply. BBL.

Bad Penny is a know it all (not sarcastic in any way)

I think I'll just start PMing you question from now on! :P

I think of myself as more of a smartass :whistling:

Availability of electricity in Fallout 3 is so ridiculous that I just had to put it all in the suspended disbelief category. Sometimes though I can't help but wonder why abandoned subway tunnels are well lit with electric lights. I think that I might like a mod that had all underground areas unpowered and pitch black.

If Bethesda made a profit from user made mods then they would have to take responsibilty for all of our naughtiness. Oblivion's rating got changed from E to M just because modder's could make sexy stuff with it. Can't blame them for keeping us at arm's length.

I just made a mod because I had fun doing it. I don't expect that I will get paid for having fun. I usually have to pay someone else for that. That reminds me, I haven't seen Nova for a while...