saving after Oblivion XP causes monitor to turn off

JURD

I ran a program called Furmark doing its standard stress test, not the extreme one...it and my card did not crash. I also used memtest for my ram and there are no errors there. I used the western digital disk health utility and my hard drives passed.

I am running the 9.8 AGP hotfix drivers. I noticed that there is version 9.9 available. I wonder if I should try that.

I have the game of the year edition so it does have Shivering Isles, although i didn't install it the first time. I don't have Oblivion xp installed this time. With this current install it crashed just as I started to escape the prison.

I am using all the unofficial patches running from Obmm. I used the shivering Isles disk to patch oblivtion to version 1.2.0.416 then installed the unofficial patches. All additions added this time were done using OMOD versions.

PS. I tried to run Half Life 2 lost coast to see what would happen because I still happened to have it installed as well. And my monitor turned off just as the old guy opened the gate. Yet I can run the Tomb raider underworld demo fine. I don't even dare try to run anything newer with this current PC

That is funny... because my old 9800XT could run lost coast. This current install of Oblivion had bloom lighting on by default. I have been reading in other places that I could try to turn off agp fast writes or try to install drivers from the cards actual brand website (sapphire) I think I'm using the hot fix driver from AMD/ATI right now. Also my catalyst control center has agp AND pci settings on on the SmartGart section...and this is a agp card...hmm

What do you think about the power supply? I has three 12 volt rails with 18 amps a piece. And this card calls for 30 Amps..should i just get a new power supply that has only one or two rails with over 30 amps on them like this one CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX? It has two 12 volt rails with 40 Amps a piece.

You could try a new power supply especially if the current one isn't rated for your graphics card. Do you known anyone with a power supply you could borrow? It would suck to spend money on one only to find that it wasn't the problem. If you have the money, you might just upgrade the MB/CPU. The newer processors actually use less power and run cooler than the old P4.

If you could trade up your power supply, that might be the way to go.

Nope, I don't have anyone to borrow from. I bought the psu from amazon and I don't know if they would trade an opened power supply, especially if it is for one more expensive than the one I bought. I also have read that some power supplies that have "multiple rails" like this one have actually have one rail, I don't know.

If I was to upgrade my cpu and mobo I might as well just go put together a new pc from scratch. But the whole point of getting the 3850 and new power supply was to play some games with this outdated machine for a while longer. But every time I cobble together a list of parts new processors, mobos, and graphics cards are announced so I am stuck in limbo. :(

Update..I reinstalled my 9.8 hotfix drivers to see if it would help. But it caused a few problems outside the game. I've since cleared them up I think. Damn having this new card is kind of a pain.

I think I have made some progress though. I found on the internet that if I disable the ati hotkey poller service my game works. I can also quicksave and save as usual. The only problem is that when I quit the game it crashes. Oh well, it's progress I guess.