The absolute needs... of good guidance.

Fifoo

After wanderings around the Nexus Forums, I have noticed that people have miscellaneous viewpoint about our consumption society, sometimes have difficulty for forming an opinion and sometimes wouldn't be able to tell what seems right or wrong, and ask themselves questions about.

That's why all people need good guidance for growing in mind and sharing out our world, it's really important for humankind's future.

The absolute needs... of good guidance.

(no religious debate) what do you think about?

I'm not an expert about economy, financial, politic and social rules and never intended to be one, but this is a serious problem and pretty enough to be food for thought.

You know our "civilised" world is based upon a consumption society model in mostly ways, and it's easy to see that all is turning on our needs of happiness.

"American dream - American way of life - etc..." no doubt about this, mostly peoples in the world have admired it enviously in one way or another to do as American does/did, just because it intend in itself "social win and success" in their minds. But how about this dream... Is it true that every people have access to it or is it an unreachable one... What means "social win and success" for people... Being happy and having a big car, a wonderful house, and the best job for building our own little realm full of gold? This is not for everyone, only a few people have the favour to access on, sometimes you need to be spoon-fed or be born with a silver spoon in your mouth, please don't see jealousy or bad meanings in those words, no offense here, it is just a matter of facts. Fortunately for other people the priorities are about "rights" and "freedoms"...

"About awareness..." in many instances, the collective awareness depends on priority and/or political and economical orientations of a country, and collective behavior have not the same signification between a country and others. In a collective point of view, ways of thinking may differ if you live in America, Europea, Asia, Africa, or Australia for various reasons. It depends on so many parameters... About the way to be happy, priorities are not the same if you are a citizen of U.S. and a native Australian: man will sometimes be happy for having a new car or just trying to survive in natural environment. It is so far easy to find other examples...

Often becoming conscious of that difference could already be too much for some people... and this is not going too far to have said that.

"The power of media..." nowadays the media have a real big influence in our everyday life. Their powers grows in impact, as they show us a way of life based on consumption's needs... What's about our needs? It goes the same way as our dream for happiness, some are useful and others too superficial, and most people are falling in the second category. Of course, we are living in a material world, but the media's market expansion strategy make profit in it for growing in impact, and so having the power to show their absolute needs in our life... without "them" our dreams of happiness simply "doesn't exist"... It is quite as simple as that. Hopefully, most of the people are wise for making choices, but how many of them...

"Stereotyped needs..." all the time, we could see many examples of stereotyped needs in our life. And the most of them are creature comforts. How could people imagine today a world without cellular phones, just for an epic one... I recently watched on a french TV channel a criticism about the impact of fast-foods in America, as we have in France a different point of view in usual food. We know that scientists have made a lot of search in that way, and obesity is becoming a serious healthy problem in all the world. Before the conclusion of this coverage, the reporters working on this subject have interviewed the Big-boss of the most famous one, don't need to say whom, and at the end he had to answer at this question: "Are your hamburgers good for health...", do you think he put an answer in style of "...No, don't buy them..." His answer was: "My hamburgers are the best in the world, and they are good for health..." In the conclusion, experts gave refutation on his response...

So, I'll stop here as a pm is not enough to address all aspects of this problem, just take a look on those little thought-worthy words:

"Let the people dreaming on something they need

and they would leave you quiet for growing your powers...

Don't give them abilities whereof dreaming

and they will go in hurt and lead you away making you weakly..."

"In conclusion..." actually it is simply a question of common sense and gesture of goodwill to give good guidances for making a better world for everyone, not an ego one, just endly to understand each other instead of tear each other to pieces... :smile:

Fifoo.

[Edit]

Sorry for this long pm, and thank you for reading it entirely. Feel free to give your comments as they are welcome, but beware, I must plainly stating that religion has no place or merit in the discussion. It may influence each of us, but has no place here...

"the problem with common sense is it's in the hands of to many pushie people" Quote from Last Of The Summer Wine (longest running english sitcom). Yes Common sense would give alot of good guidance unfortunatly most people seem to ignore it or misinterprit what it might be or just confuse it with personal wishes and wants and a more incompassing thing. (hmm this i fear could turn into a rant so will now shut up).

Thanks to all for your feedback, they are welcome, please forgive my english, I'm a french native...

Theres a great deal of good guidance and knowledge in common sense that people could see if they would just open thier eyes.

Sadly, Ive lost hope of this ever happening.

You are young and you have in front of you a lot of years to live through for taking the initiative to regain your hope, you know my deal is not to impose my ideas or opinions nor to bring suit for establishing myself or somebody else as a leader, just to have people become aware of this.

"the problem with common sense is it's in the hands of to many pushie people" Quote from Last Of The Summer Wine (longest running english sitcom). Yes Common sense would give alot of good guidance unfortunatly most people seem to ignore it or misinterprit what it might be or just confuse it with personal wishes and wants and a more incompassing thing. (hmm this i fear could turn into a rant so will now shut up).

Bring into focus is my deal, and I agree with you, but it's not as simple as that.

We could find three *behavior patterns* of people, those who are selfish, self-seeking, and some of them have mostly no materials hurdles in their everyday life, those who are selfless, open to other ones and give help to each others, and those who are uninterested for numerous causes or some reason.

[Off topic]

Many people wants to live in a better world, and a better world could be interpreted by many way in accordance with our world's vision, determined upon our lifestyle, our education, our knowledge of the world...

[in topic]

What we could observe, is that our civilised world is based upon a consumption society model in mostly ways, and we can see that we are in front of real big problems, our world must be turned around, that's why minds must change to a different way for humankind's future. Actually things are beginning to show their limits, environmental pollution, air pollution, precarity, poverty line, illness and health hazards, etc... all are increasing, and our economic and financial world models their fragility, their vulnerability and underbelly. Just see what's happened with the recent estate crash in U.S. and what are the results for populations: more precarity for the most of them, just because of some traders speculations! It's one of those reasons that make me fall near my bed, if you could get me away with telling that kind of joke.

It's one of so much examples we can find, and why absolute needs of good guidance must be our priority. Of course it takes time, much time... too much time for changing minds.

[Edit]

* I personaly don't like this expression but haven't find an other one.

"American dream - American way of life - etc..."

The "American way" as you put it, appeals to many people who don't even have the basic rights & freedoms we enjoy every day. That doesn't make it better or superior, it just means that some people desire an approximation of it.

"About awareness..." in many instances, the collective awareness depends on priority and/or political and economical orientations of a country, and collective behavior have not the same signification between a country and others. In a collective point of view, ways of thinking may differ if you live in America, Europea, Asia, Africa, or Australia for various reasons. It depends on so many parameters... About the way to be happy, priorities are not the same if you are a citizen of U.S. and a native Australian: man will sometimes be happy for having a new car or just trying to survive in natural environment. It is so far easy to find other examples...

So you're saying there are cultural differences between the peoples of the world...?

"The power of media..."

I don't know anyone who bases their decisions heavily off of the media (News, Social, Liberal, Conservative, etc.), and those that do are pretty sad.

"Stereotyped needs..." all the time, we could see many examples of stereotyped needs in our life. And the most of them are creature comforts. How could people imagine today a world without cellular phones, just for an epic one... I recently watched on a french TV channel a criticism about the impact of fast-foods in America, as we have in France a different point of view in usual food. We know that scientists have made a lot of search in that way, and obesity is becoming a serious healthy problem in all the world. Before the conclusion of this coverage, the reporters working on this subject have interviewed the Big-boss of the most famous one, don't need to say whom, and at the end he had to answer at this question: "Are your hamburgers good for health...", do you think he put an answer in style of "...No, don't buy them..." His answer was: "My hamburgers are the best in the world, and they are good for health..." In the conclusion, experts gave refutation on his response...

The cell phone, gadget thing is just another side effect of the culture of the particular society. The fast food thing is an addiction/medical problem for some people, like illicit street drugs do for others, and just as bad in most cases.

"In conclusion..." actually it is simply a question of common sense and gesture of goodwill to give good guidance for making a better world for everyone, not an ego one, just endly to understand each other instead of tear each other to pieces... :smile:

Common sense is actually extremely overrated, prone to subjective biases/errors, and often just plain incorrect. You'd be better off trying to teach critical thinking skills as a means to problem solve.

The "American way" as you put it, appeals to many people who don't even have the basic rights & freedoms we enjoy every day. That doesn't make it better or superior, it just means that some people desire an approximation of it.

Yes, of course, we know that in the past the colons were coming from all the world in America to cherish hope in a new world for a better life, with the intent to build a country established on moral values of rights and freedoms, and share it for the next growing generations, but that was not always the case, that's why people must be careful on those values for guiding the others.

You know that America have a great world influence, that's why it is such a great symbol for all people believing on rights and freedoms... I have edited a little this paragraph so others readers will not being mistaken about my intentions: *Fortunately for other people the priorities are about "rights" and "freedoms"...* And this is true for others lands, but unhappily in some countries, people have not even the right of speaking about...

So you're saying there are cultural differences between the peoples of the world...?

It will be improper to say the opposite, we call that: "roots", traditions. The mores and the customs may differs by our cultural and historical circles of influences from a land to an other... U.S. is a young land in comparison of the others, historicaly meaning. Perhaps it is the reason why some people don't feel the same about the importance of having a strong culture, it's our owe to never forget the past for going ahead and moving on.

But what I wanted to say before all is that lands and countries have various economical, political or social preocupations than others, and priorities are not the same in accordance with their wherewithal, energy resources, natural resources just for an example. That's why needs may differs from a land to an other. Just an example with Saudy-Arabia, what do you think about their future when in perhaps 30 years they would have no more petroleum resources to shore? I don't think their needs will be the same as today...

I don't know anyone who bases their decisions heavily off of the media (News, Social, Liberal, Conservative, etc.), and those that do are pretty sad.

But it's the real facts, and by many ways. Look at our politicians when their influence goes wrong or when they become unpopular. They debate on TV channels, are looking after poll results and if they fall down in poll then they yeld on their positions. Politicians are using medias day-to-day for not giving the chance to be knocked down by the opposition.

An other example, the president of France, Mr Sarkosy, when we have had this year the OTAN summit meeting in Strasburg, (in my belt :biggrin: ), he wanted to be always near the president of America, Mr Obama, and be shooted near him by TV channels, just for the "prestige" and being more popular in world's citizen opinion...

In the past medias were used to make propaganda and brought about wars, you don't forget this as it is still used in some lands on these days... when you use the medias you gain the power to affect all the underprivileged sections of the population. And medias affect us everyday, everywhere and that's why me must be watchful. It is just a question of common sense, and if we are talking about rights and freedoms, we must feel concerned by this.

In an other way, as we are speaking about medias and their powers, let me tell you it was my job to make people dreaming on what they "must have" for being "happy", I was graphic designer and artistic manager in an advertising agency, try me, the advertising industry manipulate consumers via medias for encouraging people to buy more merchandises, it is intended only for one thing: gain more power and cash. And how many people are falling in the trap, buying merchandises just because they have seen them on the TV... Oh, of course we are living in a material world, and why not taking advantage of that and making the most of our time? Yes, but by a more reasonable way!

The cell phone, gadget thing is just another side effect of the culture of the particular society. The fast food thing is an addiction/medical problem for some people, like illicit street drugs do for others, and just as bad in most cases.

You can't say that, drugs addictions are not the same problem as stereotyped needs. You cannot put all things together without making distinctions. It seems you haven't understood where the problems are, in that case, try to take an other look into the paragraph "Stereotyped needs" and then take an eye on the text about medias just here above...

Common sense is actually extremely overrated, prone to subjective biases/errors, and often just plain incorrect. You'd be better off trying to teach critical thinking skills as a means to problem solve.

We, free citizen in a free land, have one chance: the freedom of speech. And when education teach us the capacity of understanding our world then we must share that knowledge only for one thing: trying to make a better world for our childrens. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

That's why all people need good guidance for growing in mind and sharing out our world, it's really important for humankind's future.

"In conclusion..." actually it is simply a question of common sense and gesture of goodwill to give good guidances for making a better world for everyone, not an ego one, just endly to understand each other instead of tear each other to pieces

There is only one thing man can't avoid these days and it's not taxes. Therefore what is the point of good guidance if both the fool and the wise end up with the same result? (discounting the religious answers)

Common sense constantly changes, it comes and goes and depends on the circumstances in which it is applied to determine if it is even "common sense".

Goodwill is indeterminable as a thing let alone as a justification for providing guidance. This is because there is no universal definable acceptable standard for what "good" is. There is no standard of goodwill other than that which the individual holds therefore when someone acts in "goodwill" to another it would appear an evil act to others. Therefore goodwill is no more than a personal moral opinion or a religious moral standard used by the individual to determine what is "good".

Also i point out there is no standard for freedom or "human rights" it is again moral/religious impositions that a minority of individuals impose upon the general populace which the public has acquiesced to.

Therefore there is no reason for there to be increased knowledge or understanding of the working of this World. For with "increased" knowledge and understanding the same issues and problems arise.

Problems today that the World suffers existed long ago and have only transformed themselves into a different form with the advent of "better" knowledge and understanding. Issues of greed and poverty, war and peace and many others have existed for thousands of years only in different forms and substances.

Humankind has survived for thousands of years with "ignorance" and "idiocy", let it continue.