Ambitious Mod Project 1: Underwater Vault 99

OHWceta

Concept Sketches for the Vault  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Take a look at the concepts at the bottom of page 1, which version of the underwater vault looks the best and most functional?

• Concept 1
    • Concept 2
    • Concept 3
    • Concept 4
    • They all look bad, I'll let you know where you went wrong.

The Plan: To create one of the first successful underwater Vault Mods. Upon finding the Vault entrance you will be attacked by a feral Great White and you will be saved by a Vault-Dweller who risks her own life to save yours. You will have the option to save her or not as well as help the Vault Dwellers escape or leave them behind as you find a way to escape alone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the mod will Include:

The MSM - 04 "Acguy" power armor

5 new races (male and female included), the Cetaceans, Great Whites, Hammerheads, Lionfish, and Jellys.

A New Vault to explore complete with shops (Though isolation makes it a bit pricy, where else can you go for now?) and (as of currently) an uncounted number of NPCs to talk to and learn about the vault.

10 new enemy creatures to fight (ferals, male and female of each breed)

1 new Boss character (Horace Pride, leader of the Ferals)

Terra Mcguyver added to Greenfield Town

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important names and terms:

MSM - 04 type power armor - A power armor designed to withstand the pressure of the deep ocean and nicknamed the "Acguy". It is used to construct the underwater portions of Vault 99. They are stored in the vault as a way to escape if the vault suffers damage, unfortunately due to the experiments making changes to anatomy and size of the vault dwellers they are unable to use the power armors.

Acguy - The nickname for the MSM - 04 type power armor, it is unknown where the name came from but as thanks to their building of Vault 99 most of the residents use Acguy as a slang term for the word "Love"

Pressurized locking mechanism - A Primative mechanism to prevent Vault 99 from sinking. If damage occurs then all compartments will shut themselves off through use of the same pressurization that keeps the Vault from imploding under the pressure of the Ocean. Also, this device relieves pressure on the doors in the Acguy launch ports (which were sealed shut when the vault was locked) to allow escape from the damaged vault. The Pressure relief valve is located outside the vault deep under the Ocean and the only way to trigger a pressure relief to open the doors is by turning the valve. Though most of the modified "breeds" can withstand the pressure they would be negatively affected by the irradiated water in which the vault now sits so they remain trapped in their vault.

Breed - A group of genetically modified humans that all contain similar traits. A Breed is officially recognized once it reaches a large enough number for the population to sustain itself through natural means.

Extinction - When a breed reaches too low of numbers to sustain themselves through natural means.

Cetacean - Smart and friendly, they will only fight you if attacked, they dont get along with great whites. Being highly intelligent they can use most weapons humans can but their tremendous physical strength makes them dangerous even without weapons. Good to have as a companion if you encounter a Great White.

Great White - Powerful and deadly, avoid them at all cost, they are much stronger than an average human. They usually stick to a certain area and avoid territory that others have claimed. They are Brutal and tempermental, they very rarely use higher tech weaponry.

Lionfish - Lionfish tend to be rather unfriendly but will only attack if they are attacked first. They tend to fight any non-human creatures that wander into their territory. Their physical attacks are rather weak but they can poisen their targets. They have the ability to use low tech weapons and guns.

Hammerhead - Hammerheads are generally pack hunters and team up together. They will only attack if there is a fight going on nearby, otherwise they can even be friendly. They're probably the most human regarding strength and size. They are curious and like to tinker with devices, they are able to use guns and other weapons

Jelly - Jellys roam aimlessly around until they spot something which they automatically walk up to innocently but then attack with a VERY deadly poisen strike. They can't use weapons but their physical attack is downright deadly. They have very low speed and defense.

Shamu Wilson - The Only known surviving Human/Cetacean hybrid. It is belived possible because the mother possibly contained slightly dilluted DNA allowing her to reproduce with a human. (Not being possible for other breeds as they are fish while Orcas are mammals thus furthering their DNA even more from human.)

Atlas C. Demott - Current Cetacean overseer of Vault 99. He is strict and very untrusting. Though if you save Terra he will respect you a lot more and treat you with kindness upon speaking with him after the vault liberation.

Terra Mcguyver - Terra Mcguyver first meets the Lone Wanderer after he/she is thrown out of the gash in the vault entry. (Risking her own life by exposure to the irradiated water by jumping out through an Acguy power armor launch port) You have the option to save her or not though choosing to let her die will give you high negative Kharma points and will make much of the following vault quests harder. If left alive she will continue to offer her aid until you complete the escape from Vault 99 mission where she will move to Greenfield and you can pursue a relationship with her if you're not already involved with someone else.

Rem Ventura - A friend of Terra Mcguyver, she enjoys fighting and is one of the leaders in the fight to escape Vault 99. She remains behind making Terra promise to tell her about the outside world. If you let Terra die Rem will join Horace and try to kill you on the vault escape mission. She is bitter rivals with Corina but they become close friends after fighting together to liberate Vault 99 from the ferals. She is one of the only vault-dwellers to have long hair.

Corina Williams - A hard-studying serious individual with aspirations to become Vault Overseer someday. She tends to focus on mostly her studies but when the ferals come to attack she can put up a good fight. She is essential to liberating Vault 99 from the ferals. If you let Terra die Rem will fight Corina leaving the Atlas open to an attack from Horace in which he is killed. Corina will become the new overseer and the members of Vault 99 will treat you unkindly. (Lionfish shop owners will double their prices.) On the contrary if Terra lives Rem will help Corina save Atlas and take down Horace together.

Ruby Spitzer - A young Lionfish in training as a Nurse. She is essential in liberating Vault 99 from the ferals.

Jade Wilkens - A Jelly breed gaurd, though being part Box Jelly she is somewhat tougher and more intelligent than many of the other Jellies making her a suited leader of the security force.

Horace Pride - A deranged Great White who leads the ferals on attack against the dwellers of Vault 99. He is the only feral who can still speak and retains a slight fragment of his sanity. He wants to claim "The Beautiful one with long hair" (Rem) as his bride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeline:

2065 - MSM-04 type power armor "Acguy" is completed. Construction of Vault 99's underwater support structures begins.

2066 - Construction of the actual Vault 99 components begin.

2069 - The last chambers are added to the support structures, construction of Vault 99 ends

2078 - Experimentation begins on the Vault Dwellers of Vault 99. Infants and Embryos implanted with Whale and Shark DNA show more mutation in thier growth than expected but the scientists declare the benfits outweigh the risks and continue.

2087 - Scientists slowly begin to achieve a more uniform method of mutation and start developing "Breeds" which each carry their own set of unique traits.

2135 - The "Cetacean" breed obtains an officially sustainable number.

2137 - The "Great White" breed obtains an officially sustainable number.

2140 - The "Lionfish" breed obtains an officially sustainable number.

2141 - The "Hammerhead" breed obtains an officially sustainable number.

2145 - The only known human/cetacean hybrid is born. He is named Shamu Wilson (Yes, in reference to Sea World. But still rather odd seeing as Cetaceans are human and Orca hybrids to begin with so a hybrid of a hybrid.)

2148 - A new overseer is chosen, this one is a "Cetacean" marking the end of human rule over Vault 99. Though a Cetacean overseer sparks anger amongst the "Great Whites" and crime begins to increase inside the vault.

2160 - Attempts to make a human and jellyfish hybrid results in most of the creations collapsing, unable to hold themselves together, being on land results in most collapsing in on themselves and crushing their organs. The successive attempts at the project nearly decimates the Vault's population and experimentation nearly comes to a halt. The Overseer places new restrictions on scientists. Martial Law is nearly declared after a drastic crime increase.

2175 - The First "Jelly" is bred and survives.

2200 - The Vault's population returns to a more stable level as experminentation has ended.

2203 - The "Jelly" breed obtains an officially sustainable number.

2210 - Humans officially "Go Extinct" according to vault records.

2222 - Atlas C. Demott is born.

2241 - Horace Pride is born.

2252 - Corina Williams is born.

2255 - Rem Ventura is born.

2257 - Atlas C. Demott becomes Overseer of Vault 99 beating out his Great White Rival by a landslide vote. Hostility remains high for about 2 months after the election.

2258 - Terra Mcguyver is born.

2260 - Jade Wilkens is born.

2262 - Ruby Spitzer is born.

2270 - A minor collapse in the support structure of Vault 99 rips open a hole in the entry hall of the underwater vault, allowing radioactive water to seep into the first few chambers of the vault, an automatic locking system to prevent sinking of the whole structure in case of flooded compartments seals the inhabitants off from the frontal chambers. Inhabitants of the partially flooded chambers begin to show signs of increased aggression.

2271 - Some of the trapped members with their sanity remaining make a desperate attempt to swim through the gash and up to the surface. Most of them Die.

2275 - All the members of Vault 99 exposed to irradiated water become completely feral. They survive by eating each other. The few that escaped wander around being spotted occasionally in the Capital wasteland, usually they are found attacking Brahmin or other creatures they see as food. Horace Prides attempts to organize the ferals under his leadership but without much success.

2277 - Events of Fallout 3 Take Place. The Lone Wanderer uses an Acguy Power Armor suit to manually open the locks (which can only be done outside the vault). Fighting off the Ferals the vault dwellers make their way to the surface, many stay behind and establish a community in their vault. The number of Ferals increase in areas outside and near the Vault but no more remain inside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This mod will be open for ideas and suggestions, any help with things like voice acting, dialogue, building vaults, music will be appreciated.

I am currently working on Models for the new races and power armors.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

The Acguy armor is complete aside from texturing and smoothing off the edges. Expect a much cleaner and less boxy version in the actual Mod, but here's what I have at the moment, your oppinions please.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/OHWceta/AcguyModel.jpg

This mod looks good, I can't wait for it to be added to fallout 3 nexus!

The armor looks good, definitely needs to be smoothed out though and not so matte, but very nice start (better than I could do) keep up the good work and keep us informed!

Could you possibly add a mutant alligator type of creature? and are you going to added these creatures to all the large spaces of water around the wasteland? because that is one of the mods that I have merely dreamed about is having water creatures like harmless fish and then mutant sharks and alligators or crocodiles that will attack you.

Just a thought. :)

As of right now I know very little about scripting or creating animations for creatures (I'll probably use the Feral Goul Animations for my Feral Vault-Dwellers)

Most of the water is too poisenous to support life, but perhaps by the time this mod is ready to be released I may have some simple fish swimming by as you roam around outside the vault in the Acguy Armor (The hardest part about this mod will be working the part where you walk under the water.

On the Update I've just completed my helmet for the Acguy armor.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/OHWceta/AcguyHelm.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/OHWceta/AcguyFull.jpg

Note, the "Visor" is actually black, I made it grey for the rendering, but once complete with texture it will also have the glowing pink "mono-eye" (The full body version looks "decapitated" because the shadows on top of the head)

Meshes is the easy part, scripting it into the game is where it gets tricky.

And anyone can makes textures, but it takes a certain skill to make them look fitting into the game as opposed to all cartoony.

You can create meshes in Blender (free) or 3Ds Max (not free, but industry standard)

And as far as textures, after you unwrap the UVW Map in 3Ds Max or Blender, you use any 2D program, but perferably something like Photoshop. I think Gimp is the free equivalent to Photoshop, but I have no personal expereince with it.

Nifskope is usually used to put things into the game.

I know that the model above was made in 3Ds Max because I was helping Ceta learn how to use the program so he could make it.

Update: 2 New Characters will be added to the town of Greenfield if you have the Dynamic and Growing Town DLC.

Barrel will still show up even without it but certain events regarding his family and history will be cut out. (Due to Greenfield not existing without the DLC)

I'm currently working on several snags in the geometry of my Gundam Armors on my other Mod so that leaves me little time for work on this mod (It was probably a bad idea to work on 2 mods at once) Though I've completed several concept sketches of the Underwater Vault and will be uploading them shortly.

If anyone wishes to help out to get this mod completed faster I need help from:

Anyone who can put meshes, textures, ect. into the game itself.

Anyone who makes textures for the armors, vault interior, exterior, ect. (pending approval as it will have to fit the armor as well as the fallout universe, no "cartoony" textures as I've seen in some armor mods.)

Anyone who wants to help design and build the Vault interior regarding rooms and hallways.

Anyone who makes music for the mod (pending approval as it will have to fit the scenario)

Anyone who can create quests for the mod (actually making new Game quests in the game, not just quest ideas)

Voice Actors who provide voices for characters in the Mod

Animators who can create a short cutscene in the game as an intro.

I can complete most of this on my own aside from animating an introduction and providing multiple voices but with help on things like music and textures this mod could be completed a lot faster and probably with much higher quality (As I'm not a pro at a lot of this)

Alright, here's some concept designs for the Underwater Vault exterior design. I need feedback to decide on what would be the prefered overall look.

Concept 1:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/OHWceta/VaultConcept1-1.jpg

Concept 2: I thought this one seemed a little too boring from the outside to look at, I did not complete drawing in the support structure, I did however like how it was actually connected to the Beach.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/OHWceta/VaultConcept2-1.jpg

Concept 3: My personal favorite but there's no way of getting out to the middle of the Ocean entryway nor would there be any place for the escapees to go when they were free from the vault. The Lower support structures were not drawn in for segment 1.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/OHWceta/VaultConcept3-1.jpg

Concept 4: I tried to combine the best parts of the former designs into a workable undwerwater vault.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/OHWceta/VaultConcept4-1.jpg

I require your feedback now and would like any suggestions on creating this structure.