Why are my cm partners disappearing from houses with the "stay he

Spiralunix

Why have my cm partners disappeared from my custom houses, or why would they disappear from any house for that matter I guess, when you use the "stay here" option? It has only happened so far with 2 custom houses and not vanilla, but I have had four cm partners that I made myself with custom races up and disappear completely from one house with several cm partners still remaining like normal, and two (also made myself in tes const. set with custom races) disappear from another house, all within the same general range of time I am guessing. I don't mod, so I can't even begin to guess why this would be happening. Is it the way the houses are made (is it possible for them to be un-cm friendly somehow?) is it the additions of new mods, amounts of cm partners in a house, amounts of cm partners in a save game, is is the cm partner mod somehow, etc etc etc. I want to know what could possibly be causing this and what I can do to fix it and prevent it from happening in the future. And no, I have not bought furniture for any of these houses, they come with their own furniture... but I have added several items I bought to them like weapons and clothing and ayleid stones and such. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer-

S

There could be a few different things causing the companions to disappear, I think.

If you tell a CM to "wait here" I think they revert back to their AI package, including the "wander" part. They will do whatever their package tells them (or at least they should do) and will go elsewhere if the package points to a specific location. Try using "stand guard" instead.

If the house is something like Frostcrag Spire or one of the vanilla houses for sale, the entire interior gets reset whenever you buy an upgrade for it, and that reset will ERASE your companion from the game as if you've used the console command "disable". Since just about all of the cells in the game respawn, I suppose the only truly safe place to leave a companion would be in a modded home where you're certain that it doesn't respawn. Or you could use the CS to change this attribute about any cell you want.

The load order of your mods could also be a factor. I try to keep all my CMs loaded near the end of my mod list. I don't know exactly which other mods affect this, though. I just know that I used to have problems with installed CMs not being where I've placed them with the CS, and that problem has never happened again since I started changing my load order.

Oh, and CMs MUST be checked as quest items and persistent references, or this problem will occur every time they move from one cell to another and their inventories will be reset.

If I'm wrong about any of this, all you other modders, please feel free to correct me because I'm really just learning this myself.

Anyway, I hope I've helped in some way. Good luck!

Depending on the custom house, the Path Grids may not have been done or adapted to the new building and it's surrounds.

Path Grids are like a network of nodes that run along the surface or just below the ground and these are what NPC's and creatures use to navigate the world.

If the cell your custom house mod is in hasn't had it's Path Grids adapted after the house and surrounds were placed, and this includes interiors, NPC's and I imagine companions, could easily get lost. If they have packages requiring them to perform specific tasks they will go to the nearest node and continue from there, or can become erratic and start acting strangely.

If the pathing hasn't been done then they may have problems.

You can find Path Grid under World\Edit Cell Path Grid in the CS. Press the "W" key to see them in wireframe mode and press it again to go back to normal.

This may be a cause of the Companions becoming lost in custom houses and not vanilla ones. Worth a look anyway.

When I lose things, I like to attach quest flags to them. Create a new quest (or use any active old one), go to Quest Targets, and put your NPC in Target Ref. Then you can chase down that NPC and figure out if it is dead and laying in tall grass, under a floor, inside a rock, or off who-knows-where following an AI package you didn't know it had.

When I lose things, I like to attach quest flags to them. Create a new quest (or use any active old one), go to Quest Targets, and put your NPC in Target Ref. Then you can chase down that NPC and figure out if it is dead and laying in tall grass, under a floor, inside a rock, or off who-knows-where following an AI package you didn't know it had.

:biggrin:

That's what I needed to read. Want to just find out where the frack they are when they disappear! Thankies