Why are Deathclaws so damn deadly?

AxlDave

That's what I thought, but as is mentioned above I can't find it anywhere. In my latest testing with maxed out Resists, I fired Euclid's C-finder at my feet and barely got a scratch. It seems rather ridiculous that a few Deathclaws are more powerful than the entire energy of the Sun focused on one point...

Well their base damage is crazy high, like over a 100, plus a high combat skill etc. I don't know if there is an unarmmed formula like there is for weapons, but if there is they'r also pretty freakn strong. What really pisses me off about them is their reach. I can dodge most critters pretty easy, but not them....but I digress.

But I think that's the deal, no hidden abilities or what have you.

It is strange. The Deathclaw Mother is given the Psycho perk via script, a hidden perk that gives her +25% damage or something.

I'm wondering if a similar thing happens to other deathclaws, though the only perk that it could be is Piercing Strike, and I can't find any untoward references to that anywhere.

Yeah that's broken/fubar'd, it doesn't do jack. Do a search and it will give you more details/info.

checked the deathclaw nif and nothing that would indicate a separate weapon, no funky nodes, no separate meshes . Their base dam is 125, they also have a pretty decent crit chance at

I did some testing of Damage Resist and Damage Threshold for a mod I'm making, including changing the Game Settings of fMaxArmorRating and fPlayerMaxResistance to 100 each. This should, I believe, allow all resistances to max out at 100%, as well as raise the 85% cap on DR when calculating combat damage to 100%, allowing Damage Resist to completely eradicate all damage. Most of my testing supports this.

Did you also decrease FMinDamMultiplier to 0?

If your having trouble balancing them I'd just add an actor effect that reduces damage and slap it on the ones that are troublesome. Changing game settings or altering the base damage on the objectIDs doesn't seem like a good way to IMHO.

The real reason there so deadly is to sort of make a border that seperates the noobs from new vegas. Otherwise nubs would go to new vegas at level 1, without following the games purpose of leading them through the diffrent towns to learn the wastes storys and learn important survival and milatery tactics. Deathclaws are not so OP in fallout 3 as a result of them being a npc insted of a border guard npc.

Did you also decrease FMinDamMultiplier to 0?

I did not, now I have and it fixed the problem :D

Deathclaws are as ineffective as a bunny launcher now, cheers!

So you found out what it was, but what does it mean? What does the FMinDamMultiplier do? Obviously by the name of the variable it sounds like it sets the minimum damage used for a multiplier used in the fighting script. What was it set at originally? Do I have that right?

So you found out what it was, but what does it mean? What does the FMinDamMultiplier do? Obviously by the name of the variable it sounds like it sets the minimum damage used for a multiplier used in the fighting script. What was it set at originally? Do I have that right?

In the damage formula it's the minimum portion of damage that gets through even if all modifiers result in 0 or less. It's default is set at .2 (20% minimum), its the minimum damage that Jazzisparis was refeering to in his post above.

To elaborate on devinpatterson's post, the calculations for Damage Threshold and Resist are calculated using certain variables and constants. To ensure that nobody can be invincible, the max DR is capped at 85%, and the max that DT can reduce the adjusted damage to is 20%. So in the calculations, 20% is achieved by using a multiplier of 0.2. Setting it to 0 enables DT to completely eradicate all damage less than its value.

During my testing, the only thing I've found to be more deadly than a Deathclaw is a Player.Kill script.

I think the point of Deathclaws is to f*ck you up, no matter how high your level. But I mean, seriously? More powerful the the sun? That huge ten trillion megaton nuclear bomb in the sky? Some poxy lizard is more powerful than that?