New modder

HeadHunterX

I've got tutorials for blender to help me out I have all dlc GECK and the brains not to jump into anything until I've gotten well used to moddeling and skinning so if anyone can throw in any extra tips that'll help me on my way just post oh and no posting links to tutorials I've got enough of them :)

It's gonna take me a few months to get used to blender alone but with the help of my brother it shouldn't be to hard

"ahead of time" :wallbash:

School isn't a problem 9th grade is easy

I love coffee not a problem either

and well I've been tinkering with blender for about a week

Is there anything I should know about blender and Fallout 3 models?

And what program would I use to edit Fallout 3 Textures to skin my models

lol ive found my self stayin up for actual days straight with blender. caught myself having microsleeps the nextday, dreaming while i was working in blender i was on autopilot for like 1 sec it was crazy xD. I had like 4-5 of them in a like 3mins it was trippy... As for tools...

nifskope for exported fallout 3 models v1.0.20

nifscripts for blender don't remember current version.

Gimp or Photoshop for textures. Then the DDS and normal map plugins for either.

Make sure to take breaks if you start getting frustrated or stuck or just after a good few hours, cause if u don't u will just loose interest in whatever your working on.

I think the first thing you want to do as a budding modder is make something really, really easy. I mean extremely easy, something like replacing a texture, swapping the model of a coffee cup or scripting an NPC to walk up to you and call you names.

While it sounds rather silly, it's a really good way of getting to know the basic processes behind modding and whether it's something you actually want to get into or not. Once you have your first mini-mod working and have decided whether you want to do it seriously or not, I'd recommend you delve into the field(s) that interests you the most - most modders specialize in one or two fields, and, at least as a start, it's a good idea to limit yourself a bit rather than working unfocused on texturing, modelling, scripting and world building all at the same time.

Once you have found your "niche" you can always expand your repetoire and become more rounded in the arts of modding. ;)

Here you are mate, bit of an assignment for you to wet your whistle;

Starting the GECK (copied from GECK wiki)

Creating your plugin

* Launch GECK.exe from your Fallout 3 installation directory

* From the main toolbar, open File>Data

* Select "Fallout3.esm" by double clicking it and OK to load

Loading the .esm may take several minutes. You should be able to view the loading progress at the bottom of the GECK window.

* Once loaded, press save

* Because no active plugin is loaded, you'll be prompted to create a new plugin

* Choose a name for your new *.esp file, OK to save

o From now on, you will set this as your active file when you load Fallout3.esm

o Your changes will be saved to your active file. This will be your mod distributable.

o Multiple plugins may be loaded, but only one may be active.

* Close the GECK by going to File>Exit, and we'll learn how to load our new plugin (.esp file)

3) Object window -> right down to the bottom, select All* -> In the filter at the top type in; "communenote01"

4) double click the red-iconed communenote01 in the 'editorid' column of the objects window. A box'll open called Note;

5) In the ID Field, type in a name of your choice, no spaces i.e. 'example1'

6) change Name to what you want the note to show up as in your inventory

7) Change Note Data to the text you want the note to read on your Pipboy. (If you get a spellchecker, just go through it or click ignore)

8) click okay, it'll say "Create a new object - blahblahblahhh, Create a new form?" - Click YES

9) Load up FO3 with your data file checked (if using FOMM - best Mod manager out there)

10) hit ` key to bring up the console. Type in (where example1 is the name of your chosen ID from stage 5);

Player.Additem example1 1

Hit enter, the ` once again to close the console, open up your pipboy and have a jolly good read of your brand new homebrewn note. Congrats, thats your first minimod. Feel smug and proud and dig around the net for tutorials :)

the first easy easy easy easy project i'm gonna do is a reskin for the power fist

lol, that's what I've started with, too :wink:

and like Baelkin said, "finding your niche" is the best thing. I thought I'd learn how to model and everything what's related to it but now I'm in love with the GECK ^^