Fallout 3 with Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat stuff

Ghazstar

Actually the source engine and the gamebryo are pretty different. Source engine is a much heavier modified version of havok as well as a much more stable version.

Actually the source engine and the gamebryo are pretty different. Source engine is a much heavier modified version of havok as well as a much more stable version.

Well... but with my point of guns? Could they still be joinable to Fallout? How? You gotta explain that from scratches because I never did these things before.

By the way, is there a program I could use to edit the textures from Fallout 3? If so, I'ld love to get it please.

yes u can use the models from one game. I explained the basic process of doing that on the first post. But you will have to look in the new to modding section at the top of the main page in order to find out how to do it. As its a long time consuming process.

Fallout 3 & Oblivion use the Gamebryo Engine, I think the Havok they use is the physics engine. Havok do several engines, including AI and destruction (used in Red Faction Guerrilla) but they DON'T do a base game engine. Regardless, apart from the copyright issue, it depends on what you're trying to import. If it's character models and weapons, you can avoid all the copyright and just make your own - as for gameplay stuff that's hardcoded and probably worth avoiding.

Fallout3 & Oblivion use bethesdas modified Gamebryo/Netimmerse engine, with Havok modules added on. period. fact.

@Ghazstar theres some stickied links at the top of the mod talk forums you should read, should have full coverage of alot of questions you might have

To get your own weapons into fallout 3 you need (at minimum)

Nifskope

a 3d program like Blender, Max or Maya

Niftools plugin for that program

GECK

You should probably get:

Photoshop with Nvidias DDS extension, and Nvidia texture tools

Or

GIMP with dds extension

Fallout 3's meshes are in .NIF format. Its textures are in .DDS format.

Niftools plugin exports your models from your 3d program in NIF format.

Photoshop/Gimp with DDS plugin exports your DDS textures

Nifskope is the middleware program that is REQUIRED to get it all working. With that program you open two copies, open a vanilla fallout3 weapon, and in the other, your own.

Then its a long and painful process of copy and pasting over the vanilla gun.

Then in GECK you create a new entry using an existing weapon as a template, rename it and save it as a new form. then save your Plugin(mod)

This and more is all detailed in the stickied articles at the top

about the Source Engine:

Its written in C++.... gamebryo was written in C++ also, however Source engine is an evolved grandchild of Carmacks original Quake engine, whereas Gamebryo i am fairly certain is original code

Fallout 3 & Oblivion use the Gamebryo Engine, I think the Havok they use is the physics engine. Havok do several engines, including AI and destruction (used in Red Faction Guerrilla) but they DON'T do a base game engine. Regardless, apart from the copyright issue, it depends on what you're trying to import. If it's character models and weapons, you can avoid all the copyright and just make your own - as for gameplay stuff that's hardcoded and probably worth avoiding.

it would be easier to just go to FPSbananna and use those models for a personal mod or a releasable mod (will need permission for that) since the css models there look better than the original valve ones.

You will need some more tools:

cannonfodder's mdldecompiler (.mdl to .smd)

VTFEdit (.vtf to .tga)

Blender .smd-import/export script (if you're using blender)

while we're at it, can someone help me with an UV-map issue? I'm able to get the gun from the .mdl into my character's hands in Fallout. but always, when exporting the .nif, the UV-map gets lost.

also, if I have overlapping UV-maps and two according textures what would be the easiest way to make them use a single texture? (but this isn't that important, I think this could be worked around by duplicating the according branch in NifSkope and splitting the object up in several parts..)

THREAD JACKER!!!!! anyways you need to separate the models by material in blender. Most guns have about 3 textures per gun (Sometimes you'll run into model hacks with about 9-10 textures and OMG... -_-). Normally they will be split by receiver, some kind of sight/addon, and the barrel/stock. I do my models differently then most people here so i don't know how the blender .smd scripts work. But you will have to find out what parts are affected by what texture. The way you are doing it, Id suggest you look at how many textures you have and the texture layout first. That will tell you how many pieces need to be split. Then based off UV maps split them to the texture. Again though i am unfamiliar with the .smd scripts their might be an easier way.