Who's the greater ass? Hitler or Kim Jong-il

phildog

This question donned on me earlier. In our society Hitler is generally accepted as the incarnation of absolute evil, the ultimate ass, but is he really? I don't like to enter into discussion of evil, because I find that to be metaphysical bullshit and open to wide interpretation. For the sake of clarity and concencus, I generally reference assness as a substitute. Both evil and assness are commonly defined by one thing: selfishness.

As for the question of who was a bigger turkey, I think what needs be asked is who was more selfish? Hitler or Kim Jong II

First let's examine Hitler's case. Now Hitler was not a selfless person by a large regard, but one could argue he still did care about his people, about his country, and about the future of both. He wanted to rid the world of those peoples who he viewed to be the cancers that plagued the humanity and prevented it from becoming all it could be. Fortunately for him, they were all easily identified themselves by their skin, heritage, or ideologies, and even more fortunately for him these all happened to be people he never liked in the first place.

Kim Jong-il on the other hand is arguably much less noble than his Hitler. For example, while Hitler had only one large & elaborate mansion built for his personal use, Kim Jong-il has 17, at least one featuring watersides and many having large golf courses. While not busy stealing food from his own people and subsequently watching them starve to death, he enjoys the benefits of "western capitalism" that he brainwashes his people to fear; things like vising Tokyo Disneyland, viewing home of his 20,000 movies. To top it all off the only work he actually does as the leader of his nation only revolves around one thing, protecting his own ass by threatening to blow up japan.

In short, Hitler really cared about some people, and all he asked was that they look like him, came from a similar heritage, and agreed with everything he said. Kim Jon-il on the other hand clearly doesn't care about anybody excluding himself. Not to say Hitler was a saint compared to him, both men will lock you in prison and let you rot to death if you look at them the wrong way, and that's if you're lucky. However, at least Hitler was able to feel concern for the welfare of some people other than himself, and may have thought he was doing the "right thing". At least that's something, and that if that small something is good for anything, it proves he wasn't as much of a selfish ass as Kim Jong-il.

What do you think about all this? Was Hitler less of an ass than Kim, or is there something I'm missing? What's you're opinion?

If they had Disneyland at Hitler's time he would have gone too. :thumbsup:

Though I don't see the correlation of going to Disneyland making one more evil. :whistling: ... oh wait... hmmm :unsure: :blink:

Tyranny is tyranny as I see it. And it is evil. I'm not sure if you have the facts to compare each of the tyrant's aftermath of human suffering, infamy points, if you will. Then you'll know who the bigger ass is. (What? playing Oblivion/Fallout 3 hasn't taught you that much? Shame on you!) :P

What I mean is, if this discussion is really going to be a serious debate, you'll need facts 'cause it won't be resolved with just matters of opinion.

Umm... I just find it strange what word you found appropriate for such people. To me it all was and definitely still is too serious for such terminology.

On the other hand... does "ass" mean "bad person? If so, then I think it's the wrong criteria here. Does it really matter what person, for example, Hitler, was, if the real terror came from his acquirement of power... and abuse of it? I also heard (sorry, don't remember the source, probably some documentary films) that he wasn't exactly a bad person, but was mentally sick.

In The Official Compendium of Imaginary Fights, Jake Kalish lists the following as the All-Time Top 10 Assholes:

1. Adolf Hitler

2. Barry Bonds

3. Johnny Lawrence, the blond turkey from The Karate Kid

4. Osama Bin Laden

5. Nurse Ratched

6. %&$! Cheney

7. Joseph McCarthy

8. Gargamel

9. Donald Trump

10. J. Jonah Jameson*

As you can see, Kimmy didn't even make it to the top ten. Then again, Jake IS a Jew. He may be slightly biased to say Hitler was more of an turkey.

*For those who don't know, J. Jonah Jameson is the editor of the Daily Bugle in the Marvel universe. He yells at everyone who works for him (especially Peter Parker) and does everything he can to malign Spiderman

In The Official Compendium of Imaginary Fights, Jake Kalish lists the following as the All-Time Top 10 Assholes:

1. Adolf Hitler

2. Barry Bonds

3. Johnny Lawrence, the blond turkey from The Karate Kid

4. Osama Bin Laden

5. Nurse Ratched

6. %&$! Cheney

7. Joseph McCarthy

8. Gargamel

9. Donald Trump

10. J. Jonah Jameson*

As you can see, Kimmy didn't even make it to the top ten. Then again, Jake IS a Jew. He may be slightly biased to say Hitler was more of an turkey.

*For those who don't know, J. Jonah Jameson is the editor of the Daily Bugle in the Marvel universe. He yells at everyone who works for him (especially Peter Parker) and does everything he can to malign Spiderman

WTF? I didn't say Hitler was a turkey!

Lil Kim is definitely the bigger turkey. As pointed out, although there was all that genocide stuff (I know it was bad, you know it was bad, do we really need to go into it?), and despite the fact that Hitler also happened to be jewish, and part of those groups that he had selected for having their property taken, tortured, forced to work, and killed, his main goal was in trying to better the world. If not for Hitler, we wouldn't have the autobahn, rockets, and a poster-child for all forms of racism, oppression, or subjugation.

Kimmy on the other hand seems to work only for himself, models himself after Hitler, and fails horribly (The autobahn gets used... That several mile stretch of 8 lane freeway in North Korea is more evident of an equally massive (and arguably pointless) ego). He seems to only work toward trying to make himself look more "godlike" to his people, instead of making any effort to try and help them.

Assholes come in all shapes and sizes, but most of them only try to serve themselves. Although Hitler was a horrible person (not much worse than Stalin or some other leaders at that time really), and lead people to do truly horrific things (Everyone was kinda doing some horrific things in those days), he wasn't an turkey. Not to try and defend Hitler mind you... That's an argument that nobody will win.