bolt cutters anyone?

yungskiz

so theres a lock bash mod already. it has a feature that improves your chances if holding a blunt melee weapon (or at least the tire iron).

im all decked out with dragonskin tactical armor, and im stuck using a tire iron to bash locks....

thought it would be neat to have a set of bolt cutters in NV that can force locks open based off the strength value.

You can tie into the lock picking min game via it's menuMode. Maybe if you were to have a formlist of all the base objects that you could actually use a pair of bolt cutters on (are there many padlock style locks in fallout?) you could run the ref against the formlist. If it finds a match the mini game could be closed & the lock opened before the mini game even flashes on teh screen.

bypassing the minigame was already done in the lock kicking mod, and requires a separate script library esp, like a mini version of nvse, but a melee "tool" of sorts only increased your chances of forcing the lock, that script would need to be tweaked to 100% success rate if you met the strength requirement for the lock difficulty - or have that dependent on the items condition

realistically, i havent seen any pad locks in NV, but fence gates, lockers, and foot lockers all seem as though they would be secured that way. at any rate, the bolt cutters would have to be a melee weapon to be equipped and used, theres no actual animation for them since they require two hands, and realistically, no matter how durable they are i would not want to fend off creatures with the tool that helps me unlock things. although it is potentially a cheat...any person of average build can use them, if 5 STR could unlock very easy locks, and 10 for very hard.....it could end up a bit unbalanced

bypassing the minigame was already done in the lock kicking mod, and requires a separate script library esp, like a mini version of nvse,

I'm not a script guy, but that's not a mini nvse. You won't find any functions in the esp that aren't from the vanilla game or nvse, it's simply functions that are common across his mods.

at any rate, the bolt cutters would have to be a melee weapon to be equipped and used, theres no actual animation for them since they require two hands, and realistically, no matter how durable they are i would not want to fend off creatures with the tool that helps me unlock things. although it is potentially a cheat...any person of average build can use them, if 5 STR could unlock very easy locks, and 10 for very hard.....it could end up a bit unbalanced

I'm going to pass on this one brother, but maybe someone else will pick it up.

• 3 weeks later...

haha well i just meant its a library, and i thought that was the purpose of it, to add non vanilla scripts.

but anyway i decided that bolt cutters really wouldnt be that useful, but a crowbar would be. i was able to more or less do what i described (but more of a cheat for unlocking doors since i could not implement the strength check system), but for personal use, it uses resources from a mod that has been banned from the nexus, multiple times lol