What are RRA files!?

Afroherbalist

Ive got this huge file called Fallf178.rra, its over 450mb's in size, and it only recently appeared (as far as I can tell).

I had one of these files turn up before aswel. This was about a year ago, I moved it an noticed nothing stopped working, so I googled it and found nothing. Finally I just deleted them (there were 2 of them).

Now I notice theres another one in the data folder, like a year later, so I would like to know what this file is, and what its actually there for.

I have a feeling its some kind of backup file, but a backup of what? Its HUGE! I dont understand!

450mbs isnt that big tbh. Also, do you mean RAR? RAR is a type of compression file, like a 7zip file. You need a program like 7zip or WiNrar to open them. They are commonly used by modders to put data in, and to compress that data to a smaller size for faster downloads and uploads.

450mbs isnt that big tbh. Also, do you mean RAR? RAR is a type of compression file, like a 7zip file. You need a program like 7zip or WiNrar to open them. They are commonly used by modders to put data in, and to compress that data to a smaller size for faster downloads and uploads.

LOL, no I dont mean RAR, I mean RRA! I know what a RAR is and I use winrar to unpack/pack them. Im not a genius, but im not that stupid LOL.

450mb is big, for a file that just appears out of nowhere.

See the file? RRA, not RAR

I would just like to know what it is atleast

Googled around...

Some of files such as DLLs and EXEs, which may be in use ("locked")at install time, or during an update. When a file is locked but the installer wants to overwrite it, the new file is written to a semi-random name with a .RRA extension, and Windows is notified to rename the .RRA named file on next reboot to where it should have been installed.

Basically, reboot your system? With a bit more searching I found out this:

*.RRA Files are created by InstallShield. These are files that are created in the Program Directory when the file that the installation is trying to replace is locked. The file will be created with the first four letters of the real file name, followed by 4 random numbers and letters, followed by an extension of RRA. For example, if TBMAIN.EXE is in use at the time of the installation, a file named TBMA9F0B.RRA may be created in the program directory (or some other combination of letters and numbers following the "TBMA" portion of the file name). InstallShield will also place an entry in the Windows Registry to tell the computer to replace the locked file on the next reboot. Once the file is replaced by the RRA file, the RRA file will be removed.

Yeah, its something to do with installing stuff... Just restart your system, said one guy.

ARGH, double post.