Quest Order

RalphWB

I've been playing Oblivion for about a month now and get frustrated a lot.My question is .In what order should I be playing the Quests?

I play so far in the main quest and reach a point where I can't get any farther along because something doesn't go right.So I thought that maybe I'm playing the quests in the wrong order.

Should I be using the unofficial patches? what about load order?for mods I mean.the only mods I'm using are Slofs horses, the silver longsword, the fast travel from anywhere,Wheres my horse,and a few of the Unique landscape thingys. well I've been using the unofficial oblivion patch with the k.o.n and shivering isles patches.I get a lot of crashes and complete computer lockups as wellas glitches in the quests. any help?Please.

General Load-Order Guidelines

Here are the guidelines that I adhere to, personally.

~ Unofficial Oblivon Patch should always be first on the list. The fixes are great, but most aren't essential, so if a mod overwrites them its not a big deal, and the fixes have the potential for screwing up other mods if loaded later.

~ Offical Content (DLC's) should be loaded last, until you complete all quests associated with them (that includes buying all furniture for the houses and whatnot). Once they're complete, they can be safely moved up in the list. This is especially important for Knights of the Nine, which will have some fairly major problems unless loaded last (unless you get the UOP for KotN)

~ Major overhaul mods (OOO, Frans, MMM) should be loaded near the end. That gives you the most complete experience with any of those particular mods. It also lets you carefully choose which other mods to load afterwards... only move mods that you know will conflict and that you want the changes from. For example, I have Improved Soul Gems below OOO because I know that OOO changes the icons of some of the SG's, and ISG needs to be below to show through.

Some people will recommend putting larger mods first, but personally I disagree. There are a number of mods out there that make minor tweaks, and loading after a large mod will end up completely overwriting a chunk from one of the bigger mods because of the way conflicts work in Oblivion (even one minor change will take precedence over the entire record... for example, simply tweaking the speed of a weapon can cause every stat of that weapon to be retained to vanilla levels if loaded later).

So basically, it stacks up like this...

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

<Minor Mods / DLC's (Post-Completion)>

<Major Overhaul Mod/Mods>

<Mods that specifically conflict with overhauls and need to take precedence>

<DLC's (Pre-Completion)>

Note: If using Mayu's Overhaul Mod. I recommend loading it after OOO or MMM

Expanded Load-Order Guidelines

by dev_akm

I would extend this to include:

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

<Weather/Environment/Sound Mods>

<Minor Mods/New Items/Houses/DLC's (Post-Completion)>

<Major Overhaul Mods>

<Mods that specifically conflict with overhauls and need to take precedence>

<DLC's (Pre-Completion)>

<Quests>

<Compatibility Patches/UOMP/Merged Leveled Lists>

And a special-case warning for Knights.esp (Knights of the Nine) -- you may not be able to move it earlier than some other mods (some people have had problems after moving it before OOO, for example).

That's basically the structure I use and I have 140+ mods working well together.

Another way of describing this (posted by DMan77):

Oblivion

unoffical patch

Deeper realism mods that add sights and sounds

added content like weapons/items

gameplay changes, like 'must eat and sleep'

The OOO type

the 'new begining' type mod..

maigrets...You should also follow Dezi's load order guide if you're new to mods. BOSS is good, but not foolproof. There are a lot of mods it doesn't have in it's database and they have to be ordered manually.

As a rule I do only the first part of the main quest and take the amulet of kings to the priory.

I then concentrate on doing the mage guild quests and join the guild at least level 8.

I then do Azura's quest to get the star. You have a fireball staff of at least 60 points

You then can go kill Umbra using the fireball staff and get the good armor and sword at an early level. There have been many great ways to kill her mentioned on the forum. I then work to level 10 and get the skeleton Key from Nocturnal .

I then explore and do side quests till I get to about level 89 fame. I then do the thief guild quests

Note: by getting all 10 statues for Umbacano you call sell them all to your first fence and get the 1000 gold you need unless you like the old fashion way and break into houses.

I then do the fighters guild to build up my fame again. At some point you get Martin and take him to the fortress so you can do some of the oblivion gates. The last guild is the Dark Brotherhood that way you only have to do the shrine quest once.

After that explore quest till you want to finish the main quest. One thing you might like to try if it is still around is a level slowing MOD which will allow you to develop your skills and enjoy the game a bit more and have time to do more side quests like the Arena, and SI if you like it (which I do Not)

What it is really about is fame vs. infamy as you can't use the chapels to heal if you infamy is higher than your fame. Just play a few games and you will figure out what is best for you.

Madgamer