Modifying the range of dynamic motion of the ragdoll

Panpiper

I've successfully done this in other games, hacking the externalized XML that defined certain properties of the skeleton used by the ragdolls in that game. The result was a much greater range of final resting positions, not to mention a lot more flexibility if playing around with bodies afterwards (and who hasn't enjoyed flinging them about on occasion).

I am wanting to do something similar but there does not seem to be anywhere an easily accessible externalization of that data. I've tried examining the NIFs in Nifskope and while there certainly are parameters in there that can be hacked, it seems to affect the mesh in extremely odd ways rather than define the degrees of rotation of the bones.

My question is; am I looking in the right place or am I off in a wrong direction looking at that data. Is there somewhere else I should be focusing my efforts. Or perhaps can someone with more of a clue than I simply spill the beans on what I should be modifying and where in order to achieve the effect I desire?

you are looking at skeleton.nif in nifskope right? thats the biped fallout3 uses. Any rotation or range of motion information would be in there.

as far as i know the actual ragdoll physics is part of the havok physics it uses. not sure how to get at that stuff though.

Thanks for the reply Skree. I was in fact initially looking at the wrong thing. But looking at the skeleton itself, I find myself trying to decipher for any given joint, no less than seven four dimensional vectors on 'two' (!!!) axles. The other game I successfully modified the ragdoll to, had a single parameter for a relatively easy to understand three dimensional vector for any given joint (plus limb weight and a few other relevant parameters). I suspect I'll need to crack Blender in order to do this job, which means it will take more than an evening. Ah well. I have other reasons for learning the intricacies of Blender in any case.

Unfortunately I dont think blender is going to help you much with this.

The havok in fallout 3 is different than in oblivion and the export script messes up constraints.

I found this out when i was trying to mod the teddybear :wallbash:

Nifskope support for fo3 constraints is still under development but The current release version with nif.xml 0.7.0.0 has been updated with new findings.

Nifskope version 1.0.21 is also currently in the testing stage. It may fix a bug with hinge constraints. I didnt happen to see anything for bhkragdollconstraint tho.

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/view...?f=4&t=2324

You should visit niftools forums and have a look at the threads on fo3 constraints.

There is alot of helpful information and a collection of various types of constraints is available to examine.

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/view...f=10&t=2067

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/view...f=31&t=2396

Oh yeah, if I were you I would download and play around with the ragdoll constraint provided by saiden in nifskope. Its just a simple nif that you can mess around with and test it in game.

That should give you an idea of what you want before you start working on skeleton.nif