Models with multiple textures

LostHighway

Hi. I tried to search but didn't find what I was looking for so..

Using 3ds Max, nifscope and niftools plugin for max.

I have a madium sized model that has quite a bit detail (in textures) and I was wondering if it is possible to assing multiple textures for one model so instead of having one big texture map for all the elements in the model I would use separate 1k or 512px textures. I know how to do this in Max with the multi/sub object material, but how do I make it work with Fallout? Is it really that simple that I export the model with the multi/sub object material as a NIF to NifScope? Has anyone tried to do similar thing? The model is a static one, a wooden wall to be exact. If I need to do some magic in NifScope, a detailed explanation how to do things would be nice. I really don't have much experience yet with the NifScope.

Thanks!

I probably don't have much more experience than you do (and maybe less), but I believe that Nifscope and GECK only allow one texture per mesh (at one time), but some of the models are made of multiple textures with their own meshes. Like the Pack Brahmin have a texture/mesh for their body, a texture/mesh for the pack, and another texture/mesh for the lantern they can carry.

But that is about the limit of my knowledge at this point.

Good luck!

If you only have one model I don't think that would be possible... But as WatersMoon110 said, if the model you're using in nifscope is made out of more than one mesh then you can assign a diferent texture to each :D

Maybe you should get back to 3ds and separate the entire mesh into several parts? I think that will do the trick ;)

As the above posters said, if you split a model into different parts (effectively different NiTriStrips/Shapes in NifSkope when you export as a .nif) each of these can be assigned to use a different texture file and different surface properties. Basically what you want to do in 3ds Max is separate the various part of the model that you want to use different textures into their own objects and export the model as normal. This should make it export with those objects as separate NiTriStrips/Shapes.

Alternately I think you can apply materials in 3dsmax as exporting a model with different materials as .nif files effectively splits the model into subobjects according to material type. This might make it a little difficult making the UVWs as you want them, however you should be able to re-import the .nif model into 3ds max and fix the UVWs after the model has been split.