The Types of Mods Being Produced

David Brasher

What about small quests, adventures, and dungeons?

When I asked the question, I think everyone was imagining something as big and elaborate as Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles, or Elsweyr the Deserts of Anequina. A person can slap together a one-cell cave in one night. They could make it fun and playable in three nights. They could spend weeks and make it a masterpiece. A decent quest could have just two or three stages. I really admire the people who make the huge things, but where are all the small things? I guess the attitude is, "If I can't make it huge, I won't make it at all!"

Some of the comments have implied that I am just a gamer and not a modder, but I have contributed a few things for people to play, and will continue to contribute more.

When I asked the question, I think everyone was imagining something as big and elaborate as Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles, or Elsweyr the Deserts of Anequina. A person can slap together a one-cell cave in one night. They could make it fun and playable in three nights. They could spend weeks and make it a masterpiece. A decent quest could have just two or three stages. I really admire the people who make the huge things, but where are all the small things? I guess the attitude is, "If I can't make it huge, I won't make it at all!"

Some of the comments have implied that I am just a gamer and not a modder, but I have contributed a few things for people to play, and will continue to contribute more.

Unfortunately, the small things will always be compared to the big things no matter how much thought, care and effort went into them, as I've just discovered after months of work. However, I did learn some new things so it wasn't a total waste of time. One thing I did learn is to stick to your original idea and don't be talked into branching off into an entirely different direction than originally intended if that's what you really want for your own mod.

Personally I would be just as happy with a small quest that had a good and engaging story as an epic huge one with voice acting and a lot of extras that people expect to be impressed by. Don't get me wrong....I like to be impressed too, but some of the larger quests I've never finished for one reason or another. I usually get distracted by other mods or time is an issue and I don't get back to the quest I was playing. I also tend to mod more than play these days as well.

I think the last big quest I actually finished was Gates to Aesgaard Ep1 and that was because I was involved in making it (testing, translation and writing the books) and knew it almost by heart. Before that it would have been The Dungeons of Ivellon which was just excellent.

Quests with their background stories told by journals and other books etc are more interesting to me than a mod that's mostly a dungeon crawl, although a good fight also has it's merits of course.

I do appreciate just how much work goes into the big quests though. Just doing a small one takes a lot of time, thought and dedication. And frustration! :sweat:

Unfortunately, the small things will always be compared to the big things no matter how much thought, care and effort went into them, as I've just discovered after months of work. However, I did learn some new things so it wasn't a total waste of time. One thing I did learn is to stick to your original idea and don't be talked into branching off into an entirely different direction than originally intended if that's what you really want for your own mod.

Personally I would be just as happy with a small quest that had a good and engaging story as an epic huge one with voice acting and a lot of extras that people expect to be impressed by. Don't get me wrong....I like to be impressed too, but some of the larger quests I've never finished for one reason or another. I usually get distracted by other mods or time is an issue and I don't get back to the quest I was playing. I also tend to mod more than play these days as well.

I think the last big quest I actually finished was Gates to Aesgaard Ep1 and that was because I was involved in making it (testing, translation and writing the books) and knew it almost by heart. Before that it would have been The Dungeons of Ivellon which was just excellent.

Quests with their background stories told by journals and other books etc are more interesting to me than a mod that's mostly a dungeon crawl, although a good fight also has it's merits of course.

I do appreciate just how much work goes into the big quests though. Just doing a small one takes a lot of time, thought and dedication. And frustration! :sweat:

What's bolded, underlined, and large texted is your answer..... as stated in a couple posts already. Large or small, quest/dungeon modes take time.

And creating a one cell cave would probably take me weeks at least.