Asian modding comunity

Yoshh

you know this as fact then? or just biased opinionism

You need facts? Ok, Nezagaxa the Bladewing. Ancient_laws create this mod only for himself and his friends, and don't want free share it. Many of his works also not distribute. Go to this webpage. Don't free share:

- Raiment of Oracle

- Valakas of Infernowing

- Ifarian the Frozenwing

- Thoroidal the Spirewing

- Nezagaxa the Bladewing

If you browse 3dmgame forum more carefully, you will find many closed and private mods. And a lot of mods that are not here. Mods should be accessible to all, not a only for modder's friends.

and this means what??? He created them, he has the right to do as he pleases with his work.There is no free share law in the modding community.If your upset, to bad,learn to mod but don't call him or others greedy because you can't have his work,thats plain childishness! frankly why care about what he or others do.Why get upset,move on and forget about it.

Honestly, even if I'm socked every time I see a screenshot with ancient_laws mods, I understand if he/she does not share'em. I have all I need here at tesnexus, to much actualy.

Generally, there are 3 reasons;

1). Translation - People who make those mods might not know much English, and don't want to deal with problems or questions which people might have about their mods when they do not share a common language. Take a look at comments in the mod database here some time. How often do people post that they are having a problem with a given mod? How often in the forums do you have people who have a problem with a given mod? How often do some modders get messages from users about getting mods working? By only having mods listed in a place where language is shared between members, and having them within a closed group of people (who also probably mod to some extent, and are not just users), you reduce the number of cases where language is an issue, and also reduce the chances that people will have a problem with your mods since those people likely have some experience in using those mods, and are using that mod with the same game version you made it with.

2). Ownership - With every additional place that you host a mod, you have a higher chance that someone will come along and take credit for your work. If there is a difference in language, reposting of mods can often go completely unnoticed for months. Before TESN became aware of it, there were many people who were regularly visiting foreign sites, downloading mods, repackaging them, whole or in part, and uploading them as their own work, or without the permission of the original author. This same thing happens between English sites like this one, and some European sites. Obviously, this is a problem in and of itself, and shows a general disregard for the rights and wishes of the author of that work. By having a site which is closed off to the public, or which serves only people from a given country, you reduce the chances of stuff like this happening, and ensure that if anyone does, they have no excuse since they know the language, and were able to read the wishes of the author. Some mods may also contain borrowed or stolen content from other sources which they don't have rights to share, so therefore cannot share that work, or intend that work to only be shared among a small group of people who aren't likely to care.

3). Humility - Hard to imagine, but this is the other main reason. Many of the people uploading stuff to these sites are not uploading for fame or to build a name for themselves. They upload because it was something they felt like making, and might be something someone else would like to use. This is entirely contrary to the system we kinda have here, where it is always a case of "MY mod is better than YOUR mod, MY mod has more votes than YOUR mod, and if that stops being the case, I'll just flame and down-vote YOUR mod". They mod because they enjoy modding, not to please the ignorant masses or to get some sort of fame. Likewise, they would probably rather have their work somewhere where it isn't out in the open, where they don't have to deal with all the garbage from other users. Many of them don't even think their work is good enough to share.

Regardless, this notion of feeling entitled to these mods is entirely misguided. Demanding that a modder share their work never ends well. Flaming a modder because they stop sharing their work ends even worse. Ignorance, atleast in this case, is bliss.

*Sigh* Imperator3, do you just understand what are you talking about? Please, already GET IT that intellectual property is as property as any other. You don't call a person greedy if he doesn't give you his car to do whatever you want with it just because you like it? And that russian sites (and people) care little for the intellectual rights of others is a shame. Yes, I'm perfectly aware how widespread it is.

The fact of the matter is, it's not fair that they get to download all of the great English mods from this site, but we don't have access to theirs.

You don't get it. That's the decision of the modder based on where they upload. Just because they have access to English mods does not mean they can always use them, and even then, they usually cannot ask for help when things are not working.

The simple fact of the matter is that the English speaking web is generally open to all simply because it was an English speaking group of people who put it together and got it started. In exchange for granting people access to that portion of the web, the only requirement is that people know some English. Why would it be unfair for non-English sites to require people to know their language?

You also have to remember that some countries, namely China, have a much more restricted internet, so often cannot access most non-China based sites, or cannot always have communication with non-China based users.

But really, almost all of it falls into that bit I posted above.