Moved game file, FOMM can't connect?

gridbug

I recently moved my Fallout 3 game file in its entirety to another location, and now when I open the launcher and check the DATA FILES, nothing shows up. I've gone into my FOMM and the mod packages are still there, but they can't seem to get connected to the game. Any suggestions? Thanks!

:)

UPDATE: I found that when I launch the game from the Fallout3 icon in the folder, it goes right to the loading screen and apparently all the mods are in place. But when I use the Fallout3 launcher icon to get to the launch window (gives me access to options, data files etc) and select DATA FILES there's nothing listed. It'd be nice to be able to select which mods I want to use... it was all fine until I moved the game folder.

Still open to ideas!

You are obviously having this problem because you moved your game folder.

You might have heard that its bad to install the game into Program files folder so you decided to move it.

But when someone is talking about moving the installation folder, they mean that they reinstall the game to a different location.

You should do the same. move your files back to where they used to be to avoid errors during uninstallation.

When you uninstall your game it will get rid of the registry entries that you did not consider when you moved the folder.

reinstall to the new location and enjoy your game.

To underscore what Baduk so rightfully posted, simply moving the folder doesn't change the Windows registry entries (and using regedit to do it is a dangerous practice). Programs like FOMM, FO3Edit and ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated! rely on Fallout3's registry data to work.

So, yep, Baduk's right -- reinstall Fallout3, the 1.7 patch, then any DLCs, followed by reinstallation of any of the mentioned utilities. That would be followed by the grunt work of reinstalling mods.

Do reinstall to a directory other than Program Files, especially in Windows Vista, as it gets rid of some problems. A location like c:\games\Fallout3 works great (not only for Fallout, but games in general with Vista).

Thank you for the replies! I'd considered the "starting from scratch" approach to fixing this, but thought I'd try shortcutting it first. Ah well!

Am I right in thinking that I can backup my game saves and my mods (in their own folders) then uninstall the whole thing, reinstall as suggested and copy those two folders back into their respective registries?

It might work for the mods. But there is a higher probability that it won't, I'd highly recommend reinstalling mods. The saves should be okay once the mods they depend on are reinstalled.