I'm making a mod to fix a game bug...

DomSUFC

OK. I made another thread about this, and no solutions have been posted, nor have I found any, despite alot of people having this problem.

After letting the Ghouls in Tenpenny, I have no shop keepers. Bessie does nothing there, and Michael Masters is dead because he was hostile in the Metro originally for no reason. After testing, Masters was hostile after the first time I met Roy or so, when I went to finish the quest with Mr Burke. Anyway...

I have 2 ideas to resolve this.

- Change Masters' hostility in the console. I always get the "E to Talk" option, but in red. Maybe this will let me speak with him and solve this.

- Create new Ghoul NPCs in Tenpenny who will act as Bessie and Masters'. Matching their inventories, specifically the House Themes.

I have been reading through threads on here, and following some guides on the official GECK website. There are a few things I need to know first about how NPCs and modding work which I haven't read elsewhere. To be honest, I wouldn't know what categories to look in.

- How do I change things in MY save games. Obviously Tenpenny and NPCs change over time. For example Masters. He starts off low level with an Assault Rifle, this is how he appears in the GECK. How do I change the behaviour of the Masters at MY point in the game (Sub Mach Gun level, 5+?). Mainly wanting to make him take his place as Shop Owner properly. He always has the inventory key after the take over, but resides in the Metro, albeit Neutral at this point.

- Same as above again. I could choose to kill Roy (preferably tbh). However I robbed 2 of the human Tenpenny shops and they leave. Even unpon <kill resurrect disable enable> they stick to this script.

I'll not carry on waffling, as I think that's why no one answered my last mammoth post :whistling:

Thanks in advance! I have looked, and i'm happy to read any guides if someone can just point me in the way of what I should be looking for. :thumbsup:

Michael Masters should not be hostile towards you when you first meet him unless you have attacked him, Roy or Bessie. Make sure you talk to Chief Gustavo and get the Tenpenny Tower quest before you go into the tunnels. Also, try checking to see if any of your mods are causing this hostility via conflict, though I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would cause this to happen.

You can find a good NPC creation tutorial packed with the Sharing & Caring Companions mod. It will tell you in detail how to set up an NPC, which you can use to modify existing ones if necessary.

Michael Masters should not be hostile towards you when you first meet him unless you have attacked him, Roy or Bessie. Make sure you talk to Chief Gustavo and get the Tenpenny Tower quest before you go into the tunnels. Also, try checking to see if any of your mods are causing this hostility via conflict, though I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would cause this to happen.

You can find a good NPC creation tutorial packed with the Sharing & Caring Companions mod. It will tell you in detail how to set up an NPC, which you can use to modify existing ones if necessary.

Yeah I tried alot of variables. Including aiming towards killing the Ghouls, letting them in and I did try convincing the tenpenny folks. Although I couldn't chat with them all because Lydia for example was not there because I robbed her shop. Thanks for the suggestions though, and I will definitely give that tutorial. Oh, and I don't have any mods installed except The Pitt, which I only activated a few hours ago.

I'm aiming towards just creating new NPCs or editing the existing ones now. The Ghouls live there, and I've carried on with the game. I'd hate to go back a few hours.

Yeah I tried alot of variables. Including aiming towards killing the Ghouls, letting them in and I did try convincing the tenpenny folks. Although I couldn't chat with them all because Lydia for example was not there because I robbed her shop. Thanks for the suggestions though, and I will definitely give that tutorial. Oh, and I don't have any mods installed except The Pitt, which I only activated a few hours ago.

I'm aiming towards just creating new NPCs or editing the existing ones now. The Ghouls live there, and I've carried on with the game. I'd hate to go back a few hours.

some possible things you could try:

try to reset the quest : console: resetquest 14E9F (14E9F = Tenpenny Tower) however that will undo it and you would have to start it over

otherwise, have you tried to reset the missing NPC's ?

prid npcID (just google the npc's ID's you need, there also should be a txt on nexus with all ID's)

disable

enable

kill

resurrect

moveto player (this is only needed if you're not standing over the corpse)

try to reset the quest : console: resetquest 14E9F (14E9F = Tenpenny Tower) however that will undo it and you would have to start it over

prid npcID (just google the npc's ID's you need, there also should be a txt on nexus with all ID's)

disable

enable

kill

resurrect

I'm still yet to try and make new NPCs with the Sharing & Caring Companions mod.

I did try resetting the quest though, and It was a disaster! There must be other triggers to allow me to advance.

Firstly, I was neutral to Masters this time when I entered the tunnel, which is good. So there was a problem with the Quest Script at some point it seems? I suppose the quest (although not officially in the PipBoy) starts when you first meet Roy. At least to some extent.

I told Roy Id help him kill everyone. Let them in, (messing about a bit, had to retrigger the Containment door) recieved a new Ghoul Mask and proceeded into the building. Sure enough Feral Ghouls all over, and Roy. But no NPCs of coruse. When you reset the quest it doesn't reset the tenpenny residents. So there was never a trigger telling Roy we'd killed them all. I tried spawning the residents with the console. Didn't make a difference one they were killed. Although I only spawned tenpenny and Lydia.

I've tried resetting the NPCs aswell, even in their rightful locations.

I've played alot since then now, and have completed the Pitt. Unfortunately Im running out of options! Although I couldn't wait around until I fixed it of course ;)

Thanks again for your help!

well I don't use that mod (sharing&caring) so i can't tell ya whats specific about that one.

but for NPC's:

the MOST IMPORTANT thing is that you NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES modify an already exisiting AI package, always duplicate and rename (I learned that the hard way :D )

there's several good detailed ones about NPC's and dialogue (one is stickied in the FAQ etc.)

basically what you gotta do:

pick a NPC you wanna use for it (in your case you probably could even use Bessie and just duplicate her) however in general use a random NPC (go to Actors -> and filter by "CG" that gives the standard preset npc's without scripts etc.) duplicate one of em go to face if you want and make some adjustments. important thing for starts is:

no scripts (if there is one change it to NONE) next go to AI DATA tab and delete everything thats in there

if you're making a merchant: click (after you removed em all) on "add" and select NPCvender something (there's only one thats starts with NPC, its the vendor package for moira brown, if you feel like it, you can filter it some more and add a tennpenny tower residents sandbox (so he/she interacts with objects sleeps etc.)

if you wish to pick a class for them, go with some vendor (prolly VendorMisc)

for leveling: set a start level, click once on autocalc (that does distribute it quite well) and i forgot what the box is called, but there is one that allows leveling (you'll know which one it is when you see it)

then for offer services: make sure you check every category they are supposed to sell (incl. Misc for the theme packs)

(make sure autocalc. for the provided services is unchecked and offer serives is checked, if they can repair items check the box labeled repair (quality of service depends on the given repair skill))

in general most of the checkboxes are pretty obvious for what they do and what they enable.

and thats pretty much everything you need to do there

now to actually make em sell stuff:

first either create a container (persistent ref. and unique ID) and link ref it to the npc (thats a good way to check if you made em a vendor or not, if they are vendors you get a: Merchant Container tab, where you can select the container (just lock it very hard or requires key (add the key to the npc's carried inventory, if you choose that option))

place all the items either in the container or in the inventory (heavy goes in the container light on the NPC)

now to make em give you the dialogue options:

actordata -> quests -> create a new one (name it something you remember, preferable something that has something to do with what its good for like: bessiereplacement or so)

the topics you basically need 3 dialogues:

1. Greeting (this one exists already, you can use that one or to be on the safe side (if you accidentally mess something up, make a backup and call it greeting01 or so)

if you go with a backup, make sure you ref it to your npc (when you get the box with invalid just pick the name of the npc from the drop down list)

in the first white box, click on new and type in the NPC's reply (the one you get shown) leave the top box empty (thats where you type in what YOUR dialogue option is (in this case its just "E) talk to ...")

2. a trading dialogue (create a new one) i tend to call em NPCTradeXX (XX = 01 etc)

in the TOPIC type something like: "show me what you have for sale"

in the first white box something like: "have a look"

don't forget the ref ID

IMPORTANT:

at the bottom right you got a white box (Result End)

type "showbartermenu" in there, or they won't sell anything

and finally:

3. Goodbye

same deal here, topic = goodbye

reply : "come back soon" etc.

NOW CHECK THE BOX LABELED "GOODBYE" (if you don't the dialogue starts over)

and the final step:

in each of the dialogues, you got on the center/lower right damit it now i forgot the name something with "Co" like Content or so

there you place all the other dialogue options that are supposed to be shown at that step, so for greeting you add: NPCtradeXX and goodybe

for NPCtrade you only add Goodbye (no point in saying hello again when you're already talking to them)

for goodbye you obviously add nothing

you can use this to get multi step dialogues lets say you have conversationA and B, you only can get to B if you did A before that, so you list conversationA for greeting but not B, now in conversationA you add conversationB and in conversationB you enter trade,goodbye and what else you got going there.

so to make this clear, you start the conversation so dialogue "greeting" is active your choices are:

NPCTrade

conversationA (->conversationB not visible)

goodbye

that should be pretty much everything you need.

one last thing: add a clothespackage into the npc's inventory (make sure they are the actual owner), one would be: "prewarclothing75" (obviously pre-war clothing with a quality of 75 (there should also be 10 (barely usable) ,50 and 100 (brand new))

results in the NPC changing clothes every 3 days (as opposed to standing around in underwear)

disable

enable

kill

resurrect

I'm still yet to try and make new NPCs with the Sharing & Caring Companions mod.

I did try resetting the quest though, and It was a disaster! There must be other triggers to allow me to advance.

Firstly, I was neutral to Masters this time when I entered the tunnel, which is good. So there was a problem with the Quest Script at some point it seems? I suppose the quest (although not officially in the PipBoy) starts when you first meet Roy. At least to some extent.

I told Roy Id help him kill everyone. Let them in, (messing about a bit, had to retrigger the Containment door) recieved a new Ghoul Mask and proceeded into the building. Sure enough Feral Ghouls all over, and Roy. But no NPCs of coruse. When you reset the quest it doesn't reset the tenpenny residents. So there was never a trigger telling Roy we'd killed them all. I tried spawning the residents with the console. Didn't make a difference one they were killed. Although I only spawned tenpenny and Lydia.

I've tried resetting the NPCs aswell, even in their rightful locations.

I've played alot since then now, and have completed the Pitt. Unfortunately Im running out of options! Although I couldn't wait around until I fixed it of course ;)

Thanks again for your help!

Sounds like you simply didn't finish the quest. Master's vendor package is conditioned on Tenpenny Quest being stage 250 or higher. You can use the command "setstage MS12 250" in GECK script, but not sure about the console.