New to modding Help

ChrisPydtank

Hello, Im new to G.E.C.K, Ive enjoyed watching and trying this kinda stuff for long time and wanna try and do awesome stuff with fallout 3... So im learning the basics using the tutorial that has been made "MyFirstVault". :thumbsup:

But im also trying to learn more advanced stuff and trying to understand it better... atm Ive been trying to use a users mod on here that can help you use tools to create Custom numbered Vault and sliding doors. Maybe people on here know of it and might be able to help, but i also wanna be helped on one other thing, problems with getting the vault door to open in-game.

Main issue (Opening a vault door in-game)

Ok, ive been stuck on working out how to get the control panels for the vaults doors to be able to be pressed and open the door in my own vault im making... I could be doing something slightly stupid :confused: or i could be way off :wallbash: ... hence why i am asking to get help... ok the one and only thing ive tried is what mainly works on the vault 101 door... in the control panels properties when you double click on it... i goto to link Ref and i use the button to select my own reference... now as you may know the crosshair icon appears and it is red... when you go over the right object then it turns white... well no door i go over wants to turn white... ive been using the custom doors i got off here which is the blank door since its the only one that works (more on that later) that has no numbers... But i tried all doors just in case... and all the control panels available... nothing... i must being doing something wrong or maybe its the scripting... i dunno but ask me if you need any more info and ill try to help you as best as i can to answer.., :mellow:

The next issue is Custom vault doors using files from a user on here.

I have downloaded everything i needed from what he said to make vault door 74... i saved my .psd of vault saying 74 on it... then i went to using DSS Converter... I have vista computer for the computer im using to mod... I know DDS Converter has issues on vista but i have my sisters computer on XP... so i used her comp and it converted the file into .dds but on the users youtube video when it converts it gives him 2 files... the original in .dds format but the same but the filename at the end has "_n" and the picture is blue like light isnt on it... Im sure this affects the final product, any ideas?... but then the next issue... on vista and xp... NIFSCOPE!!! :verymad: when i load the mesh i got from user and a mesh i extracted from the game...

NIFSCOPE just dont work at all, the mesh picture is nothing but a white dot and blue, green, red lines... Might be something wrong with the mesh itself... or something else is wrong coz when it loads a box comes out... example of what it says is:

""device position incorrect after block number 0 (BSFadeNode) at 9246 ended at 9246 expected 9342""

that one example happens on both computers and has many errors... the box is huge...

Not only that but the video shows how he uses NIFSCOPE to edit the mesh so the textures work on the textures i made... i cant do what he does... its all errors and not correct at all...

So i hope that someone takes on my question and helps me work out the 2 problems so i can enjoy creating the rest of my vault with better working stuff like proper vault door and a door that can open...

:thanks:

Chris

Hello I worked out why the vault door couldnt be set as a reference target for the control panel just in case someone else has this problem, I found that the control panel didnt have a ref ID... i wrote what it was, "Vault Door Control Panel" and then tried to link ref again, the red crosshair turned white. Now hopfully when i test it and press on panel the door should open!!!

But my question remains on NIFSCOPE and its issues not loading Meshes... PLEASE HELP... Please... its not that hard to have a go helping me...

PLEASE HELP... Please... its not that hard to have a go helping me...

Neither is it that hard to follow the available tutorials in a step by step method rather than get impatient and try to skip over them. Take the time, you will be glad that you did. Also use the search functions in this forum and search the GECK and Oblivion Wikis for information.

Dogmeat helps those who help themselves.

I did follow it step by step, everything by the book, but the DSS issue did not change, I did not get the to files "Vault74GearDoor.dds" and "Vault74GearDoor_n.dds", I downloaded the latest NIFSCOPE 1.0.9 and went down the list to check if its not the updates causing issues. Nothing, I loaded the mesh from the file i downloaded to make custom vault door and I extracted the mesh from the .bsa file... both again i repeat!!!

NIFSCOPE just dont work at all, the mesh picture is nothing but a white dot and blue, green, red lines showing XYZ but not the mesh (The shape) itself that was shown in video tutorial... thought it might be something wrong with the mesh itself but i extracted the games mesh... something else is wrong coz when it loads a box comes out whilst loading... example of what it says is:

""device position incorrect after block number 0 (BSFadeNode) at 9246 ended at 9246 expected 9342""

that one example happens on both computers and has many errors... the box is huge...

Not only that but the video shows how he uses NIFSCOPE to edit the mesh so the textures work on the textures i made... i cant do what he does coz its screwed up

This is the picture of the "mesh" im suppose to see... ill also try to add the box that loads when i select to load the mesh...

From what I can see in your pics it looks like you haven't added your nitristipsdata etc into you bsnode. They have to go into the BSNode if they don't then the project will not work.

To add properly you must right click on the nitristrips go to block, copy branch then go to your other nifskope window and right click on the BSNode and block, paste branch. Repeat for everything

this will not always work to make it work 100% everytime you must duplicate the main part ie. 10mm pistol

this will make two then replace the nitristripsdata with the data from the part you want to add.

If you can make sense of this I don't have that much time at the moment, but talk with jackpack he is very good.

Man and to add to the top of the issue list... i tried testing my vault add on i made... when i COC to it the sound wasnt coming on good anymore... the best examples are the flame thrower and minigun... when i fire the flame thrower... instead of have the bursting roaring sound of fire... nothing... when i reload sound... jump a sound... some other sounds work but minigun i can only hear the bullets cases flying out and hitting the ground... not the turning barrel or the bullets zooming out... the pipboy 3000 dont make all the sounds... and then the main menu stopped having sound... I quit and reloaded without my vault... still happens... wtf??? seems to be getting worse and worse for me... but i wont give up...

for doors you apply a parent & a linked refrance "ie: switch" & make them persistant refrences.

get gimp & save your new texture as a dss file "ticking minimaps"

bin your gun & open one of the vanilla wepons, rename it & swap the mesh with your.

dont know but i think thats what your asking?.