Cheating

Retribution

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Position:

It's cheating to change the game's mechanics to suit your whim and short attention span.

It's not cheating to get around things about the game that feel like they were designed by an 8 year old.

1. Guards

It's cheating to get rid of a bounty in the console just to make the guard who saw you break into a house stop chasing you.

It's not cheating to get rid of a bounty resulting from killing a man with no one around, and then five minutes later a guard comes galloping up on horseback from the opposite direction and tells me he's confiscating my stolen goods. :rolleyes: (This happened while I was using Reneer's Guard Overhaul. Nice.)

2. TCL

It's cheating to walk through a locked gate and then say your character coincidentally found a lockpick on the ground, which was then used to open a hard lock without breaking. What luck right? Maybe you then raise your luck in the console. Cheating.

It's not cheating to tcl up onto a ledge that the character could easily grab unto and climb up in real life. The only games I can think of that have realistic climbing in them are GTA, Zelda, recent Mario adventure titles, and a Prince of Persia game for Mac in the early 90's.

3. player.additem

It's cheating to add the amount of money you want for a piece of clothing you can't afford.

It's not cheating to pick up an old save from months ago, drop all your items, Travel to a point outside the game world (with a mod), and then console add a few items of clothing that person would logically own. Viola, instant game start with no prison.

4. Skills

It's cheating to raise skills extremely high after previously making use of low skills with that character.

It's not cheating to do that and then also raise the age slider. :thumbsup: It's also not cheating to raise skills way up at the very start, and only at the very start.

5. Enemies

Finally, it's cheating to console kill monsters you just don't want to deal with.

But it's not cheating to console kill every wolf that charges at you out of the trees every five minutes, ruining the music, ruining the attempt at realism, ruining the immersion, and ruining the game. (But it would be cheating to loot their bodies.)

I've seen a lot of talk of cheating here. I've cheated with every game I've ever played. There comes a point at which it (any game) ceases to be a game at all, and becomes that ugly opposite of games: work. I usually feel sheepish about it, like if it's Zelda, ambivalent, like if it was Doom back in the day, or justified, like if it's Oblivion.

It all comes down to your experience and your character. Some people would say that my wilderness player.additem thing is cheating. The game is about getting out of prison first, or whatever a mod makes it be about. You can't just decide to be from the wilderness. But my characters are often ranger types, and it makes sense to add clothes they would have with them in the forest or if they are coming from a distant village or something.

(The edge of the physical map, where it's just non-collision mountains going off into the distance, makes an excellent vantage point for looking back one last time at the valley of your people. I then got arrested in the IC, cranked up the age slider a visible notch, got out and traveled to the sewer exit, and was off.)

So there's "cheating" and there's cheating. We could say it's cheating to reload your old saves and not just start a new game every time you die. It's cheating to use the difficulty slider. But those are things provided by the game, therefore they are considered okay to do, right? So is the console, you just have to work a little harder to learn what to type. Since you had to earn it's use, it's power should only be used with great care. Establish whatever logic you want about how the game should work. It's cheating if you don't follow it.

It's not cheating if you spread peanut butter on your balls and let your dog lick it off.....

Lol, no offense intended. I'm not making fun of you, it's just that your list form reply reminded me of that line from "Road Trip".

I only cheat the hard way (i.e. find a spot where I can safely sneak indefinitely, auto-move into a corner, and then go do something else for a while).

That's definitely cheating :P

Actually, I think because I'm using only gameplay mechanics, the technical phrase would be "breaking the game." It's actually dumber than cheating becasue it takes longer.

I just realized that.

It's not cheating if you spread peanut butter on your balls and let your dog lick it off.....

Lol, no offense intended. I'm not making fun of you, it's just that your list form reply reminded me of that line from "Road Trip".

I've actually never seen that movie. :whistling:

I myself usually play through a game once and then I cheat my butt off the second time around. :biggrin:

Not that I've completed everything there is to do in the game the first run, but I at least do the "Main Quest" first. :thumbsup:

Or I'll play a couple hours into the game and then try cheating a bit, whichever is more fun is what I usually continue doing. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
Cheating in a role playing game? What’s the point of playing a roll playing game in the first place then? That’s what a RPG is supposed to be for heavens sake. Painstakingly building up your character. Can’t imagine getting any feeling of accomplishment playing any other way.

Position:

It's cheating to change the game's mechanics to suit your whim and short attention span.

It's not cheating to get around things about the game that feel like they were designed by an 8 year old.

1. Guards

It's cheating to get rid of a bounty in the console just to make the guard who saw you break into a house stop chasing you.

It's not cheating to get rid of a bounty resulting from killing a man with no one around, and then five minutes later a guard comes galloping up on horseback from the opposite direction and tells me he's confiscating my stolen goods. :rolleyes: (This happened while I was using Reneer's Guard Overhaul. Nice.)

2. TCL

It's cheating to walk through a locked gate and then say your character coincidentally found a lockpick on the ground, which was then used to open a hard lock without breaking. What luck right? Maybe you then raise your luck in the console. Cheating.

It's not cheating to tcl up onto a ledge that the character could easily grab unto and climb up in real life. The only games I can think of that have realistic climbing in them are GTA, Zelda, recent Mario adventure titles, and a Prince of Persia game for Mac in the early 90's.

3. player.additem

It's cheating to add the amount of money you want for a piece of clothing you can't afford.

It's not cheating to pick up an old save from months ago, drop all your items, Travel to a point outside the game world (with a mod), and then console add a few items of clothing that person would logically own. Viola, instant game start with no prison.

4. Skills

It's cheating to raise skills extremely high after previously making use of low skills with that character.

It's not cheating to do that and then also raise the age slider. :thumbsup: It's also not cheating to raise skills way up at the very start, and only at the very start.

5. Enemies

Finally, it's cheating to console kill monsters you just don't want to deal with.

But it's not cheating to console kill every wolf that charges at you out of the trees every five minutes, ruining the music, ruining the attempt at realism, ruining the immersion, and ruining the game. (But it would be cheating to loot their bodies.)

I've seen a lot of talk of cheating here. I've cheated with every game I've ever played. There comes a point at which it (any game) ceases to be a game at all, and becomes that ugly opposite of games: work. I usually feel sheepish about it, like if it's Zelda, ambivalent, like if it was Doom back in the day, or justified, like if it's Oblivion.

It all comes down to your experience and your character. Some people would say that my wilderness player.additem thing is cheating. The game is about getting out of prison first, or whatever a mod makes it be about. You can't just decide to be from the wilderness. But my characters are often ranger types, and it makes sense to add clothes they would have with them in the forest or if they are coming from a distant village or something.

(The edge of the physical map, where it's just non-collision mountains going off into the distance, makes an excellent vantage point for looking back one last time at the valley of your people. I then got arrested in the IC, cranked up the age slider a visible notch, got out and traveled to the sewer exit, and was off.)

So there's "cheating" and there's cheating. We could say it's cheating to reload your old saves and not just start a new game every time you die. It's cheating to use the difficulty slider. But those are things provided by the game, therefore they are considered okay to do, right? So is the console, you just have to work a little harder to learn what to type. Since you had to earn it's use, it's power should only be used with great care. Establish whatever logic you want about how the game should work. It's cheating if you don't follow it.

I can agree with most of that. I think at some point I have cheated with every single player game I ever played. Not to really advance a character (although I think I did do some shady things with one of my Oblivion characters) sometimes it is just fun to put it on god mode and shoot the crap out of stuff.

Multi-player cheating is wrong on any level and there are even certain things that people do that are provided by the game itself that each community deems as cheating or glitching or giving one player an advantage over others and they have taken measures to ensure everyone has an even playing field. For example there is a command in COD4 that allows you to turn down or turn off grass so the game runs better on slower systems. Some people use this for a cheat (remove the grass and you can see that sniper) so most servers will limit your number to 2-4 and if it is lower you get kicked from the server. Some people think using a Nostromo game pad is cheating or a mouse where you can use the wheel for trigger pull (each forward and back movement fires a round) so they have set up the serve to register bullet time and such and if it exceeds a certain ratio to speed you will get kicked.

So single-player always it is just fun... to a certain point.

Multi-player never! If you cheat at multi player games I feel it is a reflection (to a degree) of who you are and how you treat people in real life.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with cheating! In drastic situations, you MUST cheat! Besides, it's a game, not money and real life.

Ok, think about this; you have gone so far in a quest, and now you're in a cave, fighting some powerful monsters. BUT YOU FORGOT TO SAVE!!!

What do you do? Does moral count now? Would you try to survive, even you have a disease that stops you from increasing magicka and you have no healing potions left? And you have almost no health left?

Besides, cheating can be for fun aswell (IN OBLIVION). It's the epic cheat that makes you indestructible. So you can kill guards and people, and you can't be killed.

Mwahahaha! >:D