Editing and Removing Parts of Mods

Cyberweasel89

Yo. I'd like some info, please.

Is it possible to take mods other people have made, and edit or remove parts of them?

For example, I specifically want to remove these parts of the Ghoulification mod:

-Command Feral Ghouls to follow and fight with you

-Absorb double the radiation

-Lose four Charisma points

-Body slowly loses rads

-Die if your rads hit zero

How would I go about removing those parts of the mod?

I'm also interested in removing the stat, health, and addiction effects (as well as the "Do you have a cigarette?" dialogue option), of the UsableCigarettes mod so that smoking cigarettes (with the sprite animation) is purely aesthetic, yeah?

Naturally, I only plan for these mods to be for my own personal use.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some help, yeah? I'd research this myself, but I have no idea where to look.

Thanks in advance.

This really all depends on how the mods in question are set up. In some cases, the features that you want to remove will be largely independent of the rest of the mod so removing them will be very simple, but in other cases you might have to be more careful. The only real way to go about this is to snoop around the back end of the mod, and just see what happens when you remove some things. It'll probably be trial and error at first, but after some practice it'll get much easier.

Cipscis

This really all depends on how the mods in question are set up. In some cases, the features that you want to remove will be largely independent of the rest of the mod so removing them will be very simple, but in other cases you might have to be more careful. The only real way to go about this is to snoop around the back end of the mod, and just see what happens when you remove some things. It'll probably be trial and error at first, but after some practice it'll get much easier.

Cipscis

After Cipscis, experience is the best teacher. :)

Before you do anything, make sure you have a backup of the mod you want to modify. You need two tools for modding mods, Fo3edit and GECK.

Start with FO3edit as this utility makes it easy to see exactly what a mod is effecting. You can edit directly from FO3edit, but I recommend you do your initial editing with the GECK.

Some of the changes you want to make are easy. For the cigs, now that you know the objectID from FO3edit, you can find it in GECK, open the dialog box and remove the object effect via the dropdown menu.

Not familiar with the ghoul mod, but it is likely controlled through scripts and packages. Again, FO3edit will show you what the mod is changing, but is not a good tool for editing scripts and packages. You will have to open the mod in geck to drill down and see what the scipts and packages are doing.

Warning, once you start climbing that modding learning curve, you just might get addicted. Have fun.

Thanks. I was hoping to do this with just FOMM, but I guess that's not possible... I'll have to get GECK and FO3edit, then...

Anyway, how might I change the name of things in a mod? Like, for example, how might I change the name of items that come with a mod? Is there a way to do that with just FOMM? Or do I need GECK and FO3edit for that as well?

Now, I think I saw GECK and FO3edit in the mod list of the Nexus... Hope they aren't too hard to track down...

Thank you again! Sorry for the noobish question. If I had known it was only possible with GECK and FO3edit, I would have looked those up instead. Thank you again!