ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Missing textures

scoobnut

I'm relatively new to Skyrim and loving it but recently found some of my textures are missing. So far I have some of my chests with a horrid purple plastic look, bench seats and alter table surfaces. Reading up on the problem I found it could be... lack of memory, graphics card or a mod. Before I start messing around with something I really no little about I thought I would ask here in case anyone could help.

I have...

I5-4670K @3.40GHz

800 GB of ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 OC - 2GB

My mods...

SkyUI

Realvision ENB

Unofficial skyrim patch

Unofficial Dawnguard patch

Unofficial Hearthfire patch

Unofficial Dragonborn patch

Skyrim HD textures

Apachihair female-v-1-2

Race compatibility.

Climates of tamriel (including DLC)

EC clothes

Imperial robes

Lady KD circlets

Leather armours

Convenient horse

Enhanced lights (including DLC)

CoT weather patch

CoT weather patch_DB

CoT weather patch _ snow-40

CoT weather patch _NL2

SGEybrows

The eyes of beauty

BVFE _ Serena

character making extender

Enhanced character edit

Realistic water 2

Realistic water 2 - waves

Realistic water 2 - waves - Dawnguard

Realistic water 2 - Legendary

Bashed patch, 0

Skyfalls + skymills + DG + DB

Skyfalls Dragonborn small waterfalls

Water colour for ENB _ RWT

Candrians Balanced Magic

Cinematic fire

Dust effects V1.0

Young male face texture by Fuse00

EotW mage robes of skyrim + DLC

Better hands Mesh for UNP

Dimonized UNP female body

Dimonized UNP female DIMface

High resolution scars

Horizon of dreams

AOF Detailed mountians

I wash- New skin for for skyrim ver 93

Natural grass texture floor

Porcelain vampire skin for CBBE UNP...

UNP texture blender

SG textures renewal

Weapon Retwxture project - WRP

Magic runes HD full pack

High res legible road signs

Better vampire Fangs and eyes

Trees HD- skyrim veriation - LOW

Eldrids Armopur mash up UNP

UNP Dawnguard armours for base body

Enhanced lightes + DLC

Vivid landscapes Enhanced lights and FX compatability patch

Vivid landscape Dungeons and Ruins

aMidianborn Caves and Mines 1k

Detailed chests Texture replacers

Show race Menu Precache killer 1-3

I used a mixture of 2K and 1K so as not to stress my PC.

All were installed in correct order and are in the correct load order according to BOSS. Dirty edits cleaned. I had steam verify which replaced five files but this never fixed the texture problem.

My game is also a new re-install (following instructions)

While the missing texture don't affect the gameplay it is annoying and a fix would be nice if possible, hopefully without re-installing my game.

I think that's it...I hope the info I gave is what you need and helpful.

Thank you.

Edited by scoobnut

I'm not familiar with all your mods, but many texture replacers install "loose" files (individual dds texture files instead of bsa files). Different mod managers *cough* MO *cough* also install (unpack) bsa files. There is a chicken and egg issue which crops up with loose files; they need to be installed (not sorted by BOSS, INSTALLED by the mod manager) in the correct order because they may over-write loose texture files installed before them. Many texture replacers don't have an esp and can't be sorted by BOSS, so determining the correct installation order requires info from the mod authors, educated guesses, or a mod manager that identifies file conflicts (Wrye BASH).

Mods with bsa files simply replace, they don't over-write, textures loaded before them and usually come with an esp to, at least, set the bsa load order. But, any existing loose files will override any bsa resource.

One bad result of all this is a potential texture mis-match (purple), especially if any meshes were also changed by mods. I notice that you have a chest texture replacement mod. I would just un-install it, re-install it to restore it's textures as the most recently added and then see if your issue clears up.

What mod manager do you use? Did you install ALL your mods with the mod manager, or did you do some manual installs?

BTW, the only mod lists that really help are BOSS/LOOT logs; they show the actual order that mods are loaded and that order is the information we need in order to help.

Edited by Lord Garon

Hi and thank you for your help.

The chest replacer texture was added last night in the hopes it would fix the problem (it didn't).

I use NMM to install and check the modders info in case the mod needs to go somewhere else than what BOSS says and had been working until I re-installed.

Question, boot/loot logs, where do I find them. Sorry about my list, so much for being helpful.

BOSS logs - the easy way: On the desktop, goto Start-->All Programs-->BOSS. Click BOSS GUI, not BOSS. On the little BOSS GUI window, go to the Output Options-->Output Format drop-down and select Plain Text. Make sure that "Show BOSS log on completion" is ticked. Click "Run BOSS" and now a Notepad window will open with the BOSS log in it. You can copy all that and post it, preferably in Spoiler tags (in the post editor window, click the third icon on top (Special BBCode) and select Spoiler from the drop-down. Just paste your logs into the text area of the little window that opens.)

Purple textures: There's a load order or data conflict, especially if your mod setup worked before. In fact, I might guess that the re-install was done without removing your old "textures" and "meshes" directories from Skyrim\Data. Those directories contain your "loose" files. Steam won't mess with files/directories it doesn't actually install, so it would have left your old textures and meshes directories alone, unless you deleted them yourself.

I would try this next:

1. Find a bad chest in-game and make a Save there. Exit.

2. Run BOSS and keep the Notepad window up.

3. From NMM, disable and un-install all texture mods that aren't body or character related (Dust Effects, Amidian Caves, Skyrim HD textures, Detailed Chests, etc.)

4. Fire up Skyrim and see what the chest looks like.

5. If its okay, there's a load order problem or data conflict with the mods you uninstalled. I would re-install them in the order they're listed in the BOSS log you kept open from step 2, or the order you discovered from the mod authors if they're not in BOSS, ONE at a time. I would install Skyrim HD first, in any case. Go back in-game and check the chest. If okay, keep re-installing mods one-at-a-time and checking.

6. If the chest is still broken in step 4, I would do a complete mod un-install. Use NMM to uninstall everything. Then go to your Skyrim\Data folder and delete the textures and meshes folders. Fire up Skyrim (it will complain about a lot of stuff missing, but should load. Don't save while testing.) and check the chest. If its still bad, we have bigger problems. If its good, start installing mods again, in the BOSS or your discovered order, a few at a time, then check in-game. Keep going until everything is back in, or the chest breaks.

Pain in the arse, I know, but its a brute force process that's worked for me many times.

Before re-installing I deleted the entire skyrim folder from Steam/ SteamApps/ Common and all files from My Documents keeping my saves listed in another folder elsewhere. I used to play The Sims and it was the same way to do a re-install (don't laugh). Will try what you suggested and let you know. Below is what you asked for, thank you again for your help.

BOSS
Version 2.2.0

======================================
Summary

Plugin Type Count
Recognised (or sorted by user rules) 43
Unrecognised 4
Inactive 0
All 47

Plugin Message Type Count
Warning 0
Error 0
All 7

* Masterlist updated; at revision: 3092018fd.
* No change in recognised plugin list since last run.
* Note: Latest BOSS thread ("http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1485022-relz-boss-for-skyrim/")
* Note: Your SKSE is up-to-date.

User Rules

Rule Applied Details (if applicable)
Sort "Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp" after "Update.esm" ✓
Sort "Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp" after "Dawnguard.esm" ✓
Sort "Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp" after "HearthFires.esm" ✓
Sort "Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp" after "Dragonborn.esm" ✓

SKSE Plugins

SKSE Version: 0.1.6.16

CFM_extensions.dll

CharacterMakingExtender_plugin.dll

showRaceMenu_preCacheKiller.dll

Recognised Plugins

These plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

Skyrim.esm Active

Update.esm Active
* Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Version 2.0.3 Active

Dawnguard.esm Active

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Version 2.0.2 Active

HearthFires.esm Active

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Version 2.0.2 Active

Dragonborn.esm Active

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Version 2.0.2 Active
* Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}

ApachiiHairFemales.esm Version 1.2 Active

RaceCompatibility.esm Version 1.60a Active

ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Version 3.1 Active

HighResTexturePack01.esp Active

HighResTexturePack02.esp Active

HighResTexturePack03.esp Active

SkyUI.esp Version 4.1 Active

EC Clothes.esp Active

imperialrobes.esp Active

LadyKdCirclets.esp Active

Leather Armors.esp Active

Convenient Horses.esp Version 14950 Active
* Note: Do not clean. "Dirty" edits are intentional and required for the mod to function.

EnhancedLightsandFX.esp Active

ELFX - Dawnguard.esp Active

ELFX - Dragonborn.esp Active

CinematicFireFX.esp Active

ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp Version 3.1 Active

ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp Version 3.1 Active

ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp Version 3.1- Active
* Incompatible with: Realistic Lighting Overhaul

ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-2.esp Version 3.1 Active

CoT-WeatherPatch.esp Active

CoT-WeatherPatch_DB.esp Active

CoT-WeatherPatch_Snow-40.esp Active

CoT-WeatherPatch_NL2.esp Active

SGEyebrows.esp Active

TheEyesOfBeauty.esp Version 9 Active

BVFE_Serana.esp Active

CharacterMakingExtender.esp Active

EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp Active

RealisticWaterTwo.esp Version 1.11 Active

RealisticWaterTwo - Waves.esp Active

RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Dawnguard.esp Active

RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp Active

Bashed Patch, 0.esp Active

Unrecognised Plugins

The following plugins were not found in the masterlist, and must be positioned manually, using your favourite mod manager or by using BOSS's user rules functionality. You can submit unrecognised plugins for addition to the masterlist directly from this log by clicking on a plugin and supplying a link and/or description of its contents in the panel that is displayed.

SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp Version 3.0.esp Active

SkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.esp Active

Watercolor_for_ENB_RWT.esp Active

Candrian's Balanced Magic.esp Version 1.05 Active

Found it! Vivid landscape dungeons and ruins was the culprit. Following your instructions I removed all texture mods then added them one by one. When the purple chest reappeared I removed the last mod added (Vivid landscape), the purple vanished. Installed the mod again and the purple chest came back so it was definitely that. I also found I had Bethesda's HD packs which had installed automatically. I disabled them as I use Skyrim HD which I'm happy with, not sure if that was okay to do but saw no point in having to packs installed.

Thank you for your help.

Off to play now with no purple chests...yippee!

DOH! You posted while I was writing. You might try the Vivid Landscape mod page and see if the author knows about, or has a fix for it.

EDIT: Problem resolved

If your current mods include ONLY what's listed above (no manual installs), that narrows things down as I have many of them running right now without the chest texture issue. (I did jump from Unofficial patches 2.0 to 2.0.3, but I haven't heard of your issue on the 2.0.2 versions.)

Try disabling the HiResTexturePacks (just un-select their esp files, you don't have to un-install them cause they're bsa based and won't load if the associated esp is disabled). If the chest comes back, enable one at a time and see which one is causing the problem.

Also, I didn't know you had BASH. If you merged any mods into the Bashed Patch (and a lot of texture mods will merge), they will still be in the patch even if you disable the original mod in NMM. Disable the Bashed Patch to see if a merged texture mod is hanging around in there.

Future Info:

BASH can do a lot in helping to find mod conflicts. If you add your mod archives to the "Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers" folder, you can look at the mods on the Installers tab of Bash. If you sort them to your desired installation order on the Installers tab (just drag them around) and highlight a mod, Bash will show you any loose file conflicts in your install order. That is, it will show which mods are trying to change the same loose files. If we suspect a mod is changing loose chest texture files, BASH will tell us which mod is doing it.

Edited by Lord Garon

I only recently added BASH, I'm still reading up on the program so haven't really done much with it apart from open and look to get familiar with it, merging anything is not for me until I know what I'm doing.

Someone else posted on the download page that they too had the same problem, from what I understand the Smim folder was needed from optional downloads. No idea what Smim is and if it says optional I tend to ignore it unless otherwise stated in main description.

I have left the mod out for now as I am happy enough without it. Maybe in the future I will re download, this time with the Smim files.

Thanks again for your help.