ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Better Megaton, first WIP screens

TotallyNotToastyFresh

Hi everyone,

I released a mod some time ago called 'Rooved Megaton'. It was my first mod using the GECK (although I have some fair amount of experience with the TESCS). Taking inspiration from one of the most popular Oblivion mods out there, Bananasplit Better Cities, I decided to expand my mod and create something similar for Fallout 3. While I'm not expecting this to be larger than Better Cities I do hope that it can be a fairly large-scale mod one day.

Basically, the plan is that I expand megaton by a fair amount, add a lot of stuff of my own, but also what I'm going to do is make a whole lot of empty buildings that can be claimed by other modders who have modded their own Megaton facilities like shops, inns or whatever. If you are a modder and are interested in helping make an addition like that, drop me an email at toastyfresh(at)hotmail(dot)com.

Here's a few screens of my work so far. A little empty, but hopefully it will grow with time and work here and there.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8363/megaton01.png

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9929/megaton02.png

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9892/megaton03.png

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8858/megaton04.png

If you can't see what I've changed, basically what I've added is a large walkway that heads straight to Moriarty's, as I though it was a little annoying walking all that way tryign to find it; there's no direct route unmodded.

PS: If you wanna help me, start a team going, please do. I'm on my own with this one.

lookin good. i always thought megaton should be a bit bigger ... its kinda like 90% of the population has useful occupations ... there are more shops than simple townsfolk. woulda thought a town with a doctor and a mechanic should draw more people

so more please! apartments would be perfect

I'd like to see a complete restructure of Megaton, with tiers. Such as, the main gate enters Megaton into the middle tier, and there's things like shops and stuff in the middle tier, like a commercial district. It would sit on one or two very large plates. Then there'd be a lower tier, built on the ground, containing things like poorer houses, and the Common house, the Water Treatment plant, etc, like an industrial zone. Then on the top, there'd be the 'upper-class', containing Moriarty's, the Brass Lantern, some high-class houses (Like the Simms' place).

The bottom two tiers (especially the lowest one), would be really dark, and need to be lit by floodlights most of the time.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn291/FullMetalPatriot/thebest.jpg

Bow down to my photoshop skillz :O

If my GECK ever decides to NOT crash after five minutes, I'd try it. D:

Interesting idea you have there. Have you read Philip Reeves' Mortal Engines by any chance?

That's a wonderful idea and fits perfectly with my walkway but I would really need a whole lot of new buildings to actually make the town bigger. But I'll definately see what I can do.

Why yes I have. Though I think putting Megaton on treads is pushing it a bit. :P

For extra buildings, you'd probably only need new houses. All those Megaton Settlers can't possibly live in the Common House, right?

Though I think putting Megaton on treads is pushing it a bit.

Heh, yeah, but it's certainly possible with the crawler from Broken Steel. :P

For extra buildings, you'd probably only need new houses. All those Megaton Settlers can't possibly live in the Common House, right?

Right, but I'm rather bad with NPC behaviours. I'll give it a shot though.

EDIT: Opening the CS now, I'm not quite sure how I'll do this tiers system. It's definately easy to move the buldings around but No matter how much crap you put above something it will remain lit the same way as the top two tiers. I'd really like to have it split into three cells but I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to throw away all my work on the walkway.

Though I think putting Megaton on treads is pushing it a bit.

Heh, yeah, but it's certainly possible with the crawler from Broken Steel. :P

Right, but I'm rather bad with NPC behaviours. I'll give it a shot though.

EDIT: Opening the CS now, I'm not quite sure how I'll do this tiers system. It's definately easy to move the buldings around but No matter how much crap you put above something it will remain lit the same way as the top two tiers. I'd really like to have it split into three cells but I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to throw away all my work on the walkway.

Well, if lighting's that much of an issue, I'd recommend ignoring it. :)

Perhaps just throwing in some floodlights regardless of how well-lit the lower tiers are, would at least give it the illusion of artificial light.