How can i clear all the dialogue from an NPC?

Deleted1387982User

Im making a mini quest and one of the NPCs im using has loads of dialogue already in it, how can i remove it all and add my own?

Thanks!

Physically clone the NPC and reproduce its clothing and gear out. Give it the same voicetype as the original NPC. Give it all of the new lines since it has no pre-existing dialogue. Script your quest to make sure that the clone NPCs are not both enabled at the same time if they are in the same cell.

actually, if you duplicate the NPC, items etc. are copied as well, so all you have to do it (if they have a script) change that to none, then click on the dialogue button and remove the dialogues (from the choices and just add your own dialogues in the greeting topic) and after that check the AI package tab cause if it got dialogue, it most certainly has NPC specific ai packages which you probably should remove.

actually, if you duplicate the NPC, items etc. are copied as well...

Duplicating an NPC would work as you desxribe. I meant something different by cloning.

Let's say that I want to clone an NPC actor who is a caucasian female. I open her edit window. Her ID is BADAngel001 and her name is Angel Pye. I create a new caucasian female character. I make her ID BADAngel002 and her name is Angel Pye, as well. Now I have two separate NPC windows open. I open the FaceAdvanced tab for both edit windows. I copy the features from BADAngel001 and paste them onto BADAngel002. Now they have the same features and complexion. Open Head Parts and make the hairstyle, eye color and any addtional Head Add Ons identical. Open the Face tabs and copy over the hair color. Equip the inventory of the two NPCs the same or dress and equip them differently.

Now you have a cloned character that looks identical and sounds identical with the same voicetype, but has no remnants of scripts, packages or quests attached.

Sometimes I find it is simpler to clone an identical fresh character than it is to duplicate an old character and cull away all of the existing references. Missing an attachment and not deleting it can cause lots of headaches.