Vault 101

Harabec Weathers

I gotta admit Fallout 3 is laughably easy, even on "very hard" difficulty. By the time you hit level 30 (Broken Steel) you were an absolute tank. Able to absorb excessive amounts of damage.

For discussion purposes, Im curious for ideas about how Fallout 3 character development system or overall gameplay and environment could have been better.

My ideas are:

1) Weapon training. You were born in a vault where the most danergous thing around is a 10mm pistol. Why is it that you can step out of the Vault, pick up a minigun and immediately know its full function and reload. My suggestion is that you must first receive training in various skills to be able to untilize them.

2) Less health gain. I think at level 30 I have like 650 health lol. The only threats to me were Albino Radscorpions and Supermutant Overlords armed with Tribeam Laser Rifles. Everything else posed no threat lol, even on "Very Hard" difficulty.

3) Tougher Enclave. In my opinion the Enclave were push overs compared to idea of what they were made up be. Their armors and weapons were in horrible condition and they just seemed like total push overs. Me having no Power Armor and some crappy assault rifle should have a tough time killing a trained Enclave soldier in the "exhaulted" Advanced Power Armor Mk. II and weilding energy weapons.

4) More buildings. When I first played Fallout 3, and arrived at DC I looked at all the buildings and my first thought was "oh wow so much to explore! This is great!" To my dissappointment 99% of the buildings in DC are just for looks. Yes I can understand that not EVERY building would be acessable after so many years of decay and having endured a global atomic war. But the feel for exploration is belittled by the lack of explorable terrain.

5) Better healing system. Chopping away on 200 year old Potatoe Chips should NOT heal you. Drinking water should NOT remedy bullet wounds. Restore action points, Yes, but heal youre character, No.

6) Delayed Stimpacks. I do like the idea of using stimpacks, they are like potions just in the future lol. But I they should not be insta-heal. They should heal over a duration.

7) Sleeping should not fix broken bones or heal you. Period lol.

Well thats really all that comes to mind at the moment.

No I wanna know what else could have been done to make Fallout 3 more immersive or better with overall character development or gameplay.

No kidding, there is a mod for every one of your points on Nexus. I know that's not your point, we shouldn't have to make mods for the game to be more realistic in your view, but just the same, at least you can download fan created plugins that give you the changes you want.

This is true we really shouldnt have to create these mods to make "fix" the game, for lack of a better word. The only mod im using is a delayed stimpaks mod, it works great and makes combat much much more challenging.

As for the others I simply opened the geck and began making changing that makes sense.

I.E. Being able to reapir power armor with scrap metal.

Made weapons and armors more duable by changing global settings. Havent gotten around to making the other changes yet. Probably wont even bother since I wont be playing fallou 3 for much longer anyhow lol.

Rad-away should indeed take affect over a duration, just like stimpacks should lol.

Actually I would love to see what the game would be like without rad-away. Only being able to get a cure for radiation poisoning by:

A) Dying

B) From the Brotherhood or something

Radiation does not work the Fallout 3 makes it look. If you breathe in radiation, tiny radioactive particles are taken in and typically go into youre lungs and stomach. Thats bad enough but when radioactive particles enter your stomach, the enzymes in youre digestive tract digest them thinking the radiation is calcium. The radiaoactive particles are then distributed into the marrow of youre bones where it then sits. All radioactive particles do are produce heat. Lots of it too. In time youre character would die of cancers, tumors, and his bones would turn into glass. PRetty horrible way to go eh.

However I have to admit that playing a roleplaying game where you die of cancer wouldnt be very fun, so I cant say Im complaining about having rad-away haha.

Vanilla Fallout3 tried (I think) to provide for all styles of play. It succeeded in some regards and failed in others, but you can't totally fault Bethesda's devs, because everyone has a different style of play, and providing for it without overly restricting player choices is extremely difficult.

So enter the modding community. As was pointed out, every one of the points you bring up can be customized to suit your style of play, they gave us the GECK to make those customizations. Give Bethesda that much credit, at least.

Realism mods and immersion mods, mods that increase spawns and their difficulty are not hard to come by. Mods that slow down leveling, that de-level leveled lists, that add requirements for Sleep/Thirst/Hunger, that increase damage dealt and taken -- all of these and more are readily available thanks to the superb efforts of the modding community.

The community has given us great utilities to handle all these customized mods: Fallout Mod Manager and FO3Edit are particularly vital for mod-users (and authors too!), and go a long way in managing the content available and ensuring they play nicey-nice with each other.

So download away and make Fallout3 the kind of game that meets your needs.

Rad-away should indeed take affect over a duration, just like stimpacks should lol.

Actually I would love to see what the game would be like without rad-away. Only being able to get a cure for radiation poisoning by:

A) Dying

B) From the Brotherhood or something

Radiation does not work the Fallout 3 makes it look. If you breathe in radiation, tiny radioactive particles are taken in and typically go into youre lungs and stomach. Thats bad enough but when radioactive particles enter your stomach, the enzymes in youre digestive tract digest them thinking the radiation is calcium. The radiaoactive particles are then distributed into the marrow of youre bones where it then sits. All radioactive particles do are produce heat. Lots of it too. In time youre character would die of cancers, tumors, and his bones would turn into glass. PRetty horrible way to go eh.

However I have to admit that playing a roleplaying game where you die of cancer wouldnt be very fun, so I cant say Im complaining about having rad-away haha.

radaway looks technichly possible, and i bet it is, particles that go thrpugh ypur system and then carrry the radiation out, i mean it looks tottally possibvle, alot of people dont know how radaway works and think its just some kind of potion.. wow...