Creating a New Sword... Strange UV Map!

Quadrefoil

Hi all guys! I'm a beginner in editing 3D Models and texturing them with 3D Studio Max. I was trying to create a new sword for skyrim to share with you in the nexus; i've created the 3D File (attached at the end of topic) and calculated the UV Map to begin working on the texture, but that UV Map looks really strange and i don't know why! Maybe i've done something wrong with 3DS Max! Please help! :(

Link to sword file: Sword.7z

Your uv map shows the sword from an unfavorable angle.

The following instructions are for 3ds max 2013(don't know which version you have but there shouldn't be much differences) :

Open the model in 3dsmax again,

Choose unwrap uvw and open the Uv Editor.

Inside the editor window select all polygons of the whole uv map, then click on mapping,normal mapping.

In the window that pops up you can choose the angle of the map. Choose "top/bottom" or try all other options till you can see both sides of the sword.

Notes:

You can map seperately selected polygons from different angles.

It is also possible to select polygons in the general workspace window(on the 3d model) to work with the selection inside the uv editor.

In the top left corner of the Uv editor window there should be some symbols for everything you might need to do: moving , scaling, rotating, ect.

Hope that helps a little. btw.: Thats a nice model! :smile:

Edited by OutLaw666