Wouldn't it be great if there was a community effort to make an es

cybrbeast

*title seems to have failed, should have been: Wouldn't it be great if there was a community effort to make an essential Fallout 3 Mod Pack

I've ordered the Fallout 3: GOTY with all the expansions on it. And I'm planning my second run through the game on much higher difficulty. I would really like to start my game with Fallout 3 being modded to one of the best games it can be (I know the 'best' mods are highly subjective). But after browsing many mods it seems like it's really difficult to decide which are best for my game, and all the work it will take a lot of work to get all the mods working well and together in my run.

If users of mods and modders could come together somehow and reach some sort of agreement on which mods really make Fallout better.

Then maybe a pack could be created where every mod has been tested for compatibility. This could be installed like a standard windows installer with many custom options, like enabling/disabling and configuring certain mods. And also maybe some typical installer options like only visual tweaks, or only gameplay difficulty mods, quest mods, etc. After running this installer Fallout should work with these mods without having to have done tweaks and hacks to make mods work.

Not only would this make the experience of using mods much more convenient and fun, it would also open up all the great work modders have made to the not so tech-savvy Fallout 3 players, who otherwise might never come in contact with mods.

This would require quite some efforts on the part of the community to test mods for compatibility and quality, and then compiling them all in some easy to install program which might become a quite large download, but I'm sure we could find some hosting for that (like torrents). However I think the work might be worth it because it would make working with mods much more fun and easy, and it would improve the already great game a lot more.

The nexus makes such an effort to get people to constructively criticize mods instead of giving one sentence, trying-to-be-snarky "no" responses and yet on the forums people still get treated like that for being interested. C'mon Tony o_O

I like the idea, but I just have a hard time believing it could work. Like you've said, everyone's got their own opinions on what enhances their game. We've got the top files for what's most popular. It's also good to promote as many different kinds of mods as possible so maybe the lesser known ones can get some downloads and endorsements. It is a good idea though. I can see the value in it.

I guess something like Oblivion's FCOM would work. Right now, FOIP kinda sucks compared to that. Kinda.

Francescos = FWE (?)

WarCry = CRAFT/XFO

Oscuro's = FOOK

Mart's Monster Mod = Mart's Mutant Mod

It would be FWFXM! That's a really hard to say name! Fwif-ix-um is how you should say it.

The nexus makes such an effort to get people to constructively criticize mods instead of giving one sentence, trying-to-be-snarky "no" responses and yet on the forums people still get treated like that for being interested. C'mon Tony o_O

I like the idea, but I just have a hard time believing it could work. Like you've said, everyone's got their own opinions on what enhances their game. We've got the top files for what's most popular. It's also good to promote as many different kinds of mods as possible so maybe the lesser known ones can get some downloads and endorsements. It is a good idea though. I can see the value in it.

The question was "Wouldn't it be great if there was a community effort to make an essential Fallout 3 Mod Pack?" and I was simply answering that question. Don't be mad just because it isn't the answer you wanted... If you don't want my opinion, don't ask...

The question was "Wouldn't it be great if there was a community effort to make an essential Fallout 3 Mod Pack?" and I was simply answering that question. Don't be mad just because it isn't the answer you wanted... If you don't want my opinion, don't ask...

When your answer is pretty much on par with spam, it's best just to wait till you're able to give a more detailed answer stating your opinions. A simple no answer just comes across as rude and unnecessary when the question was rather detailed and proposed something interesting. You can give a good, negative answers as I did.

I like the idea, but one general mod pack might not be the way to do it. Maybe something where there's a pack for people who want cosmetic character changes and then another for new weapons and armor, and one for added realism and difficulty, etc. That way people who just want one type of thing don't have to choose between either 1 mod at a time with tons of compatability issues ore 1 giant mega-mod that has a bunch of stuff they don't want.

There are modders who think "Wouldn't it be great if...", then say "I will make this and it will work this way".

There are mod users who think "Wouldn't it be great if...", then say "Somebody (maybe a group) should make something like this and it should work something like that."

The modder's ideas are more likely to end up as postings for downloads. It's the initiative and personal involvement that make them real.

At a quick glance, it appears that the OP does not wish to solicit help in creating a mod but rather wishes to generate interest in creating a mod or mods that would make it simpler for he and other mod users to select quality mods, install them and use them. There are mods that work along those lines of reasoning and mod authors who invest their time in making mods more easily accessible for users. There may even be similar projects already in the works. Posting this under "Mod Requests" might be appropriate.

Mod Packs are almost always a bad idea. If a package contains many different mods, then it's going to be incredibly difficult to keep track of all appropriate updates so anyone who downloads it will almost certainly be downloading old inferior versions of the mods that it contains. Depending on what you're looking for, the next best thing is likely to be a list of recommended mods or a compatibility project like FOIP.

If you're looking for a lot of good mods that you can download and use without hassle, then a "recommended mods list" is probably what you want. The benefit of using a list rather than a package is that links to mods are used so you'll be getting the latest product, although just like packages they can rather quickly become outdated. I know that you can find a few mod lists scattered throughout the BGS Fallout 3 Mods forum, but I'm not sure how many (if any) have been posted on these forums.

Cipscis