Now here's a thought...

Luminiari

I don't think lending the disc alone constitutes as piracy, the license just temporarily goes to your friend as you can't play the game yourself without a disc.

Except that in this case, she can play because she has made a backup. This argument comes down to whether the company is "losing money" based on her actions. I would consider it similar to the situation of the friend renting the movie or game from the video store, but no money is changing hands and if the friend wants to own it, s/he still has to buy his/her own copy.

But as far as making backups for your own use of your own disks, which you paid for the write* right to enjoy and which you're not lending out, there is no copyright law I'm aware of that specifically forbids this. I'm pretty certain, last I checked, this was perfectly legal.

*Edit: that was freudian.

I don't think lending the disc alone constitutes as piracy, the license just temporarily goes to your friend as you can't play the game yourself without a disc.

This argument comes down to whether the company is "losing money" based on her actions.

So we're assuming that her friend would have purchased it, if not for the aforementioned "piracy"? Meh, my advice to the OP, don't feel like you've committed any horrible crime, and take the legal advice you get from the internet with a grain of salt. Morally, you're not doing anything wrong, and legally.. Well I liked how Arnold put it in "Red Heat":

"In my country, we shoot the politicians first."

Note: My friend now has her own copy.

This thread sure has taken an interesting turn! The only money involved in this entire situation is the money spent by myself and my friend to purchase this game. Sure is funny how this all works out!

In the end, I've decided to make an ISO for myself, and the original DVD will stay in its' case on my shelf. The ISO shall stay on my computer, and I REALLY can't be arsed travelling way out west to get a new copy.

Thank you for your opinions, guys.

So we're assuming that her friend would have purchased it, if not for the aforementioned "piracy"?

That isn't even close to what I said. I compared it to a video rental, which is also perfectly legal. Grow a brain.

So we're assuming that her friend would have purchased it, if not for the aforementioned "piracy"?

That isn't even close to what I said. I compared it to a video rental, which is also perfectly legal. Grow a brain.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Blackwidow5080/rofl.gif

Forgot to mention that Bethesda itself could give permission to make backup copies, in which situation national law wouldn't matter, but nevermind already.

Russians don't read license agreements anyway, so I have no idea if that's mentioned there. Not that I had any intention to break it.

I don't think it's piracy...

BUT...

if you would invite a friend, and then you tell him/her that you've got to go to the bathroom or something, and meanwhile, your so called "freind" copies the files from the disc and takes it home. Then, at home, he copies it several times and gives it to friends. If this is discovered, then the friend that copied it will be sued, but YOU will be punished aswell. That's what I've heard.