Oblivion Construction Set Plug-in Saving Error

blackpheonixark

Ok, this is the most popular question, but i have found no answers. I have used Morrowind construction set for years and It has always worked fine. So i started using oblivions. After i change anything or even create my own items, i attempt to save my plug-in, as I try to save it comes up with this error: ["Unable to complete operation due to failure renaming temp file. Temp file remains. Continue running executable? "yes to all will disable all warnings this session"] The only answer i have found online is, "Its a security privilege issue. you don''t have administrative privilege". That is completely untrue. the only accounts I have on my PC are Administrator and guest and i am ALWAYS signed on under administrator. I have tried re downloading the set. Uninstalling and reinstalling. and modding pre made mods, but it ALWAYS comes up with it. I am running XP SP3 and NOT vista so its not a vista issue. What can i do?

Also, I have completely uninstalled Morrowind AND Oblivion construction sets and removed all plug-ins from relating to both and re-installed oblivions construction set. No luck

Here is the steps I take:

Open CS. Load Oblivion.esm. Create my mod. Click on save. It asks me to choose filename. I enter filename and click the save button, then the save window closes and the error pops up. When I go the data folder. The esp is in there. but when i load it up, only the orginal oblivion files are in it. Not the Mods I made. So I dont bother opening up the esm at all, instead i restart CS and i start making the mod without loading any other esp or esm files. then i hit save and go through the same process and its the exact same, except this time when i open the mod file, there is nothing.

Ok, this is the most popular question, but i have found no answers. I have used Morrowind construction set for years and It has always worked fine. So i started using oblivions. After i change anything or even create my own items, i attempt to save my plug-in, as I try to save it comes up with this error: ["Unable to complete operation due to failure renaming temp file. Temp file remains. Continue running executable? "yes to all will disable all warnings this session"] The only answer i have found online is, "Its a security privilege issue. you don''t have administrative privilege". That is completely untrue. the only accounts I have on my PC are Administrator and guest and i am ALWAYS signed on under administrator. I have tried re downloading the set. Uninstalling and reinstalling. and modding pre made mods, but it ALWAYS comes up with it. I am running XP SP3 and NOT vista so its not a vista issue. What can i do?

Also, I have completely uninstalled Morrowind AND Oblivion construction sets and removed all plug-ins from relating to both and re-installed oblivions construction set. No luck

when done in the CS do this to create and save to an ESP:

ckick file(upper left hand corner)

click date

click ok

you'll get window asking you to save to an ESP

name your ESP,click ok or save and ESP is crated and data saved.

to edit or add to,load in the CS as Active file after loading Oblivion

As an update, here is a list of everything I have tried so far:

Delete Morrowind

Delete Morrowind CS

Delete Oblivion, CS, and all mods

Re-install Oblivion

Re-Install CS

Create new account on PC and give it administrator authority

Shut down and restart

Create mod while in Oblivion and attempt to save it

Open and save an empty mod

Open and save Oblivion.esm as a esp

Use of different file names

Combine Plug-Ins

And a list more o things. I am reaching the end of my rope here guys. I LOVE modding. I have created a few good Morrowind mods and I really like creating mods for oblivion, but how am I supposed to share when I can't save a single mod? Morrowind mods save no problem. But it just doesn't want to work on oblivion and i hate it.

• 1 year later...

I have exactly the same problem and a similar background making or tweaking mods for Morrowind that worked Would love to know how to fix it. Tried much the same as you. Only difference is the plugins I tweak or create become locked. Visible only in the construction set but not in the Data folder. They are still playable and I can make adjustments If I override the error. However they will not appear in the data folder. I found this while doing a practice mod it shows the other mods I changed grayed out with a little lock on the file.

I have come across this before. There is stuff hanging out in the Virtual App Data folder somewhere. I used to be able to completely remove bad or hidden plugins from the search prompt. Now I can't get rid of the defective file since ihad to reinstall my Win7 O/S. Like you I tried uninstalling the CS. In some earlier cases I may have had a corrupt copy. Uninstalling the CS would totally delete any plugins I made changes to previously.

My thoughts are it might be a problem with the CS. I can create a blank plugin but any attempt to modify it results in an error. Also if its a pre-existing mod there is no prompt or selection for renaming it. I am hoping a more experienced modder might have an answer as the online documentation isn't very helpful.

~Edit Security and Permissions issue. After enabling write privileges for my user and Admin for Oblvion and the data folder I was able to save.

Where do you have Oblivion installed to? If it's in your Data Files, try installing it elsewhere, My Documents for instance.

I had a similar problem -- For some reason, my mods would save to a temporary files folder or something like that, which I couldn't figure out how to access. Try reinstalling elsewhere is my best advice. It'd be a shame to see potential go to waste over something like this =(

I've had the same problem too and what fixed it for me was to ALWAYS boot the CS up with administrator rights. Are you working with Vista? If you are, the Oblivion CS won't let you save anything unless you start it with right click and "run as administrator".

• 1 month later...
im having kind of similar problems. Every time i try to save, no matter if i changed only 2 words on a races desription, a window pops up and says cs must close, and it doesent save. I have it updated and everything, oblivion is updated. I have shivering isles and every other dlc besides knight of the nine, and i dont kno whats wrong. I run it every time as administrator. Any help would be nice.

As an update, here is a list of everything I have tried so far:

Delete Morrowind

Delete Morrowind CS

Delete Oblivion, CS, and all mods

Re-install Oblivion

Re-Install CS

Create new account on PC and give it administrator authority

Shut down and restart

Create mod while in Oblivion and attempt to save it

Open and save an empty mod

Open and save Oblivion.esm as a esp

Use of different file names

Combine Plug-Ins

And a list more o things. I am reaching the end of my rope here guys. I LOVE modding. I have created a few good Morrowind mods and I really like creating mods for oblivion, but how am I supposed to share when I can't save a single mod? Morrowind mods save no problem. But it just doesn't want to work on oblivion and i hate it.

One known cause of the problem is if you try to save a mod from the CS while you have it also open in some other program (such as TES4Edit). Closing the other program first will usually allow you to save normally.

As a last resort, you can set a flag in the ConstructionSet.ini (same directory as your personal Oblivion.ini). Find the line that says

bAllowaUnsafeSave=0

and change it to

bAllowaUnsafeSave=1

• 4 months later...