I R Scared!!!

WaLkAwaY

In a previous post I described the nightmare of my MOD installation in Oblivion. Having 10-20 MOD's working at the same time was a lesson in futility. So I am reluctant to say the least in trying it for Fallout 3 (I did play vanilla Fallout 3 before my PC crashed though and that's why I want to add MOD's now). I have taken the first step and have the game installed and all the DLC as well (re-purchased the game in the Game of the year edition package for PC). BTW: The issues I had with Oblivion were CTD's and just general MOD conflicts.

So before I start adding MOD's to the game I was wondering if there was a utility like BOSS for Fallout 3. In my search I found these utilities that I think will work but some of them do the same thing and would like your input on which would be the best one(s) to use or if there are other utilities for what I am describing.

1. Fallout Mod Manager

2. ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated

3. Fallout 3 Mod Installer

4. FOMS: Fallout Mod Sorter

5. Butcher Pete: Mod Manager

I did search and half way through typing this post I realized that maybe I should have searched for a Newbies thread maybe titled "Quick Launch Guide To Getting Mods To Work Together In Fallout 3" or some such title. Hopefully this is not a redundant post and maybe someone with a working sense of MOD's and the game and what it takes to get started might champion that possibly non existent thread.

I also posted this here as it seemed the logical place for it, at least in my mind.

:thanks: in advance.

don't forget fose, as some mods reqiure it to function. also, look for a little tool called FO3edit. if used properly, this nice little thingy can eliminate mod conflicts and make your game more stable. use this guide on how to do it correctly or search the nexus forums for quick steps guides. you'll find plenty of those here.

foms is a nice tool and it seems to be the closest thing available to oblivions boss.

edit: oh yeah, i'm not sure about butcher pete and the mod installer because i've never used them, but the other three (especially fomm) are very important if you want to use mods.

well, i've played red faction but never finished it and actually never talked about it either :biggrin: that was probably someone else. glad i could help. and don't be discouraged if the game still crashes once in a while, even after careful preparations. all in all it tends to be quite unstable.

I think that loading and attempting to use many, possibly competing, mod managers might be less effective than picking one and learning to use it well. Fallout Mod Manager still seems to get the most positive feedback.

"A wink is as good as a blink to a blind bat." Mr. Neutron

There are two must-have utilities for Fallout3: Timeslip's Fallout Mod Manager (the Fallout3 version of OBMM) and ElminsterAU's FO3Edit. As a companion to FO3Edit, you'll want Miax's great FO3Edit Guide - Web-enized to learn how to detect and resolve mod conflicts.

There are other utilities, sure ... but these two, after months and months of futility on my part with mod conflicts, have proven themselves to be enough to get the job done and enjoy a conflict-free and (fairly) crash-free gaming experience (well, except for the obligatory Fallout3.exe internal function getRandomCrash(int Random()) :biggrin: - some believe the Fallout3 dev's implemented it to keep their jobs ... oh wait! I started that rumor!).

oh .. a ps: I am well over 150 mods now and conflict-free using just those two utilities.

There are two must-have utilities for Fallout3: Timeslip's Fallout Mod Manager (the Fallout3 version of OBMM) and ElminsterAU's FO3Edit. As a companion to FO3Edit, you'll want Miax's great FO3Edit Guide - Web-enized to learn how to detect and resolve mod conflicts.

There are other utilities, sure ... but these two, after months and months of futility on my part with mod conflicts, have proven themselves to be enough to get the job done and enjoy a conflict-free and (fairly) crash-free gaming experience (well, except for the obligatory Fallout3.exe internal function getRandomCrash(int Random()) :biggrin: - some believe the Fallout3 dev's implemented it to keep their jobs ... oh wait! I started that rumor!).

oh .. a ps: I am well over 150 mods now and conflict-free using just those two utilities.

Cool thanks I am going to check out mods and stuff today and I will definately be looking at those.