CS Crashes when attempting to edit AI packages

Pursinta

7 Probably wouldn't help you anyway. That's what I use and I still can't select an AI package without an instant crash. This has to have something to do with the GUI on CS and the way Vista and 7 interact or translate the info. I have disabled all of the transparent "Aero" or whatever stuff in 7 and don't see a difference. It is a HUGE pain in the ass to not be able to modify AI packages. I have been threatening to release a mod for months now and it just feels like it lacks something without customized NPC behavior. If I was better at working with packages I'm sure I wouldn't need to modify anything once I completed it however, I'm pretty clueless when dealing with them.

Wulf

• 1 month later...

This is probably a really stupid question but I don't suppose anyone ever found a solution to this? I'm on Windows 7, the CS is installed in the (steam) Oblivion folder and does everything fine EXCEPT if I click in the AI package window (both on an NPC AI window and on the Package menu) it just crashes straight out. I can add a new package to 'blank' NPC AI screen but I can't click in that window once it's done without crashing it. The only thing that setting XP SP2 compatibility has done is make the program shut down quicker after the crash;)

I'm rather surprised hear that people are having this issue with Fallout 3 - With Oblivion I can sort of understand it as it's getting on a bit but Fallout 3 is very recent...

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and the last time I had that problem was back around the first RC of Win7... :P

But anyway, here's my setup (Which seems to work):

Installed Oblivion and CS to default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion)

Turned off UAC - you know how to handle a computer, UAC is unnecessary...

Changed 'Permissions' of the Bethesda Softworks folder, to allow every user to change it. (I don't know if this changed anything, I just wanted to be certain)

I can't really think of anything else I did actually - it just worked^^

This appeared to work at first and it does have an effect on the problem but in my case performing these steps actually made things worse. Use with caution!

As an update to the previous entry... now its all working the way it should. I just don't know. I used to be a robotics engineer and I've seen more than my share of intermittent software quirks and hiccups but this is just freaking stupid. I hate crap like this. Try the following steps at your own risk. As I said, for the time being, it works again.

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Bethsoft_Tutorial_Clutter

Excerpt from the site:

"December 20, 2008: Several Vista users have reported bugs regarding the GECK crashing when clicking on items in the object palette list and/or when accessing/editing AI packages. A suggested workaround solution is to disable tablet functionality in Vista when using the GECK. Navigate to "Control Panel" -> "Programs" -> "Programs and Features" -> "Turn Windows features on or off". This last link is found in the left-side pane of the "Programs and Features" window. When the "Windows Features" dialog box appears, unselect "Tablet PC Optional Components", click "OK", and restart Vista. "

The procedure is the same for Win 7 and works like a freaking charm. It's 6:52am and I think I might just have a beer or 6 to celebrate!

It fixed my problem so now I can finally work on AI packages. I am thrilled.

Ummm OK, not quite as thrilled as I was a few minutes ago... I tested it a lot before I posted up here and now I am having a different but related problem. Now I can't even open the AI tab on a toon that has packages attached without a crash. I can however, click on existing packages to edit them in character/packages... or open the AI tab on a toon that doesn't have packages attached without a problem. This is such a stupid problem.

Wulf

I know this doesn't clarify how to fix it, but I had this problem previously ("fixed" it by downgrading to Vista)

I'm on 7 again, a fairly new install. I've just installed Oblivion, with no mods, no OBSE, nothing. Just the vanilla game with 1.2.0416 patch and the CS.

I just checked, and it appears the packages are working. I haven't even run the game yet, though, so who knows what will happen once I start modding again.

Anyway, the important stuff I guess you guys should know...

UAC is on (set to Windows 7's default settings)

Tablet PC stuff is installed, though the Tablet PC Input Service is disabled.

It's not at the usual installation place, but rather Z:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\

File permissions are default.

Uh... I think that's all. I'm hoping this doesn't break for me again, but if it does I'll try and keep a list of what I've changed in case it helps anyone here.

Edit: Packages work in both the NPC "AI" button dialog, and through Character > Packages. I can create/edit them with no problem. Also, this is the same PC which had the problem previously.

• 1 month later...

Ok so I had this problem and i would like anyone who has this problem to check this:

Go into event viewer on your computer (accessed by doing into start then type into the search box "event viewer")

after this has loaded up (it may take some time) go into "windows logs" found in the left bar on the interface.

Now click application. This will bring up a list of all events that are application based (Crashes, warnings, etc).

Minimize your event viewer and load up the construction set and cause the crash. Now return to your event viewer and press refresh found on the right-hand side of the screen.

Now check the new events... You should recieve two if not cause the crash again and refresh again. you should recieve an event with event ID 1000 This will be an ERROR.

You should also recieve an error ID 1001 this will be an information event. look in the 1001 and under the general tab just below the list find the line Event Name. If the event name is

BEX I believe this is a buffer overload... And yes this is my problem. I also believe if this is the case for you it may be bethesda that needs to fix it.

This appeared to work at first and it does have an effect on the problem but in my case performing these steps actually made things worse. Use with caution!

As an update to the previous entry... now its all working the way it should. I just don't know. I used to be a robotics engineer and I've seen more than my share of intermittent software quirks and hiccups but this is just freaking stupid. I hate crap like this. Try the following steps at your own risk. As I said, for the time being, it works again.

http://geck.bethsoft...utorial_Clutter

Excerpt from the site:

"December 20, 2008: Several Vista users have reported bugs regarding the GECK crashing when clicking on items in the object palette list and/or when accessing/editing AI packages. A suggested workaround solution is to disable tablet functionality in Vista when using the GECK. Navigate to "Control Panel" -> "Programs" -> "Programs and Features" -> "Turn Windows features on or off". This last link is found in the left-side pane of the "Programs and Features" window. When the "Windows Features" dialog box appears, unselect "Tablet PC Optional Components", click "OK", and restart Vista. "

The procedure is the same for Win 7 and works like a freaking charm. It's 6:52am and I think I might just have a beer or 6 to celebrate!

It fixed my problem so now I can finally work on AI packages. I am thrilled.

Ummm OK, not quite as thrilled as I was a few minutes ago... I tested it a lot before I posted up here and now I am having a different but related problem. Now I can't even open the AI tab on a toon that has packages attached without a crash. I can however, click on existing packages to edit them in character/packages... or open the AI tab on a toon that doesn't have packages attached without a problem. This is such a stupid problem.

Wulf

I follow this thread with interest because I'm one of the win7 users that is not having the problems that you are experiencing.

Mention of turning off the tablet reminds me of a reported bug with oblivion crashing when the system was set up with a joystick and problem went away when the joystick was disabled. My recollection of details is fuzzy because I don't have a joystick either - but it might be something that you want to check into...

• 1 year later...

Just out of curiosity, those of you who have 100% AI Pacage re-editint crash, is's your OS 64-bit? And do we have anyone with 32-bit OS experiensing this same crash?

If so the problem might be how 64-bit windows handles 32-bit files. And according to previous post it sounds like memory allocation error. Mayby changing your OS to 32-bit might help.

Yeah, my OS is Windows 7 64-bit and I always get this problem. I can't even touch the edit AI button in the base NPC menu without a crash. I really do not want to reinstall windows to get 32-bit, so each time I have to edit a package, I just sent it back to my other HDD and touch it up. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but I don't see any other way.

Does this occur in TESConstructionSet 1.0 by any chance?

- P