Blender version?

Zerin99

I'm new to moding and I was wondering which version of blender I should use? I've been working with the latest versions for the last year and a half or so and am very familiar with it. But I came across a moding tutorial that said I should use version 2.49 because the latest versions don't support Nifscript or something like that. is this still true or can I use a later version? Thanks for the help.

You have to use 2.49 to import and export .nifs. I hear you can work on .nifs that have been imported and saved as .blend in 2.49 and worked on in more recent versions as long as you save with some sort of legacy setting in the newer version.

If I'm being confusing:

1. Import .nif using Blender 2.49

2. Save as .blend

3. Open .blend with your newer version of Blender and make desired modifications

4. Save as .blend using legacy settings (not sure exactly what this is since I've just been using 2.49)

5. Open modified .blend in 2.49 and export as .nif

'Course I'm not sure this works, but it's probably worth a try.

So I think I found out that the legacy settings you are talking about are the export settings in blender. There is an option to select legacy in the export settings however I'm not sure that this is a fix. But that brings me to a new question, can I install blender 2.49 and keep my 2.7 version installed as well? Also how do I install 2.49? I found it in the list of older versions but do I just download all the relevant files? The tutorial on modding that I'm reading says I can find blender and all of the files you need on the Nexus website but I can't find them. How did you download 2.49?

You can install an additional version of Blender simply by installing it to a different location than your existing one. There's a tutorial on installing Blender 2.49 for use in modding here. The link to the Nexus package is broken, but here's an updated link. I downloaded the components separately since I like knowing exactly what I'm installing. Nifskope has been updated beyond what the package contains, but I hear .obj export is broken in the most recent version. I don't ever use that format though.