A Grenade model how many polys are acceptable

lolgast

This is my first ever model, it's supposed to be a makeshift grenade but the texture will clarify that. And I need to know how many polys are acceptable. At the moment it got 1220 polys and 1286 points. Should I reduce it or is it fine?

Here are 2 screenies:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8986/zbrushdocumentwireframe.png

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9786/zbrushdocument.png

The frag grenade in the game has 1395 points in total. I might lower the number of sections around the round part, but overall it looks reasonable to me.

Did it? I looked at the frag grenade in max and while it did have around that many vertices, the polygon count was 822. That's in tris. In quads that's around 411 polygons. The pulse grenade had around 1000+ and the plasma grenade was twice that. The latter two were much more detailed though.

Still though, you should cut down on the amount of polys you're using to make it round. A normal map can help with that if necessary, but otherwise it'll look round enough in the game with much less. Also there's a bit too many horizontal lines down the main cylindrical part that don't seem very necessary. Unless it's shaping the form, it's not needed.

Also there's a bit too many horizontal lines down the main cylindrical part that don't seem very necessary. Unless it's shaping the form, it's not needed.

right... too many unnecessary horizontal lines...

create a low poly version from the start ("initialize" is your friend before you tunr it into a 3dpolymesh)

or you could for example export it to max or blender, reduce the polycount and import the reduced mesh back into zbrush while having your model loaded on the lowest subD level

or you could use zbrushs retopo tool to do just that