Horns on a helm not showing up properly.

jatneosen

I've been working on retexturing the death dealer helmet from Francesco's mod.

However, there is a problem, horns won't show up properly.

This is what the horns looks like in nifskope, and how I want them to look like in the game.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x270/Stizlurder/deathdealerhelmproperhorns.jpg

This is how the horns show up in-game. (My screenshot feature in oblivion doesn't work, so I had to use a different picture)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x270/Stizlurder/2518-3-1193160677.jpg

The textures on this image is different, but you can clearly see the wave like effect on the horns, makes them shine and stuff.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Ok, thanks, do you know how to fix them?

What does the normal map look like, Is it the default that comes with the helm? ( the normal map is the one named with an underscore n at the end )

myHELMETtexture.dds ---------------> Regular texture

myHELMETtexture_n.dds ---------------> Normal map

I think there isn't anything to fix. Nifscope shows a mesh. Bump maps and displacement maps don't alter meshes in any way. If you want your helmet to have wave effects you will have to create a bump/displacement map yourself, or just recolor the old textures using GIMP or PS. Look here for bump and displacement maps explanition. Pages 11 and 12

PS I tried to learn 3d modeling, but ditched it. Too hard. I will maybe get back so I can learn retexturing. :)

Sorry if I I didn't help. Didn't always get bump mapping.

I think there isn't anything to fix. Nifscope shows a mesh. Bump maps and displacement maps don't alter meshes in any way. If you want your helmet to have wave effects you will have to create a bump/displacement map yourself, or just recolor the old textures using GIMP or PS. Look here for bump and displacement maps explanition. Pages 11 and 12

I think what he's looking to fix are the vertical ridges that the bump map is visually "creating". I believe he would like to have horizontal ridges like his nifskope screen shows.

jatneosen:

If you just would like a quick fix, send me a link to the files via pm.

That would be totally awesome. Do you just need the normal map for the horns? Or do you need meshes and so on as well?

On the screenshots, you can enable them in your oblivion configuation settings.

The default is: bAllowScreenShots = 0

Change that to: bAllowScreenShots = 1

For me, this is found in My Docs/My Games/Oblivion

Its the same folder as where your saved games file is.

And i just use find to search for bAllowScreenShots... its a really long list to look through.

I know about the screenshot thing, worked fine until I had to re-install it. Now it won't work no matter what I do.

Thanks though =).