The Last Child of Gallifrey [WIPz]

Demeggy

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5265/lcogtitle.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6015/consoles.jpg

The Last Child of Gallifrey [WIPZ]

Synopsis:

In the depths of the Wasteland, an alien artefact has been discovered by the Brotherhood of Steel. Seemingly infinite in size, with a labyrinth of endless corridors bizarrely fitting inside an Eight foot tall Blue box and jam packed full of unearthly technology, you have been asked to help a young initiate by the name of Penny Tennant to uncover the artefact’s secrets and give the Brotherhood answers.

Where did the artefact come from? What is its purpose? What mysterious agenda does the Brotherhood have? Only stepping through the doors can answer these questions...

Features:-

• 2 expansive Quests taking you into the depths of the alien artefact and beyond
  • New and completely unique items exclusive to the Universe of Doctor Who
  • 2 Hidden quests and Easter Eggs, can you find them all?

-

The Last Child of Gallifrey is a mod derived from an original mod from Murfy, featuring the most popular Time Travelling Machine in the world, the TARDIS.

If you’re unfamiliar with the TARDIS, the Doctor or the world of Doctor Who, click here for a detailed insight.

As I’ve explained, this mod itself is an adaptation of Murfy’s original TARDIS mod. The original mod allowed players to explore the console room and pilot the TARDIS to a series of locations across the Wasteland at the push of a button.

I decided to emulate the TARDIS more accurately, and as a result, came up with the slightly complexed mod I’ve got on my Hard-Drive today.

Surrounding the TARDIS itself, The current version (1.3), has 2 complete functioning Quests which sees you helping to uncover the nature of the ‘artefact’, ‘rebuild’ the console, take it for a test flight and then fly about the Wasteland using a randomiser (with a ‘memory bank’ to store up to 8 of your favourite locations). Regarding additional Who related content, it contains a hidden quest with a tasty reward – The Doctor’s trusty Sonic Screwdriver can destroy ANY robot, and unlock or alternatively lock any door or container in the game. There’s also a cameo from the Doctor’s old robot companion K9, although not quite in the capacity you’re used to seeing him...

On top of the functionality of the mod, you’ll also notice in the above few screenies that included is some of my own 3D mesh work. The console and Sonic Screwdriver are both completely modelled by myself, and I’m currently implementing a new version of the console complete with animated Time Rotor (the column in the centre). Aesthetics are the final stage I want to work on though, which will allow me to fully work on the Flight mechanics of the game.

Plot:

As stated in the above synopsis, the plot see’s you helping the Brotherhood to uncover the origins of the TARDIS. I won’t go into detail, otherwise it will spoil it, but I will state here and now that the mod ends with a choice that will affect the player’s game irrevocably. Choosing either option will result in an entirely different branch of game play from there on in, which will affect the Vanilla plotline and content.

Release:

I’ve been continuously promising avid followers of a release date for ages now, and with a hefty month behind me (moving, career change etc), I can happily say the mod will be released some point in the next 4 weeks.

Although this isn’t the only release. Penned, planned and part implemented are 2 more releases, the second being heavily quest based and the third... well, the third implements a game mechanic which will DEFINITIVELY change the way you play Fallout 3... but I won’t go into ANY of that so don’t ask ( :P ;) ).

Below is a brief FAQ of the modification's blood and guts. Keep your eyes peeled for further updates.

Kris... aka Demeggy... Aka Red Imp Studio.

A Brief FAQ -

How does this mod affect the Vanilla Plotline/Setting/Outcome of Fallout 3?

Outcome... quite heavily. As stated above, a certain choice will lead your player down one of two paths for the rest of your FO3 days.

Setting wise, the story fits into FO3 in the simplest Doctor Who plot mechanic – Parallel Worlds. I’ll say no more now.

Can I fly the TARDIS straight away?

No... nothing’s ever that simple is it? You’ll have to work to get your hands on that prized TARDIS key, and even then, nothing’s free in a dead world is it? You’ll need to ensure the TARDIS is fuelled up at all times, pit-stopping at Rift Points across the Wasteland to fill up.

So what happens next?

Two Releases. Release Two see’s the TARDIS re-awakening its ability to travel through time, whilst the third is set pretty much during present-post-apocalyptic world. Giving away the plot would ruin it.

Is there any compatibility with the Add-On packs?

I’ll be releasing a version for each of the add-on’s after the base release. The TARDIS will be able to travel to Point Lookout, The Pitt and hopefully even take its first voyage into space...

Any further questions/comments and I’d be glad to respond.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE YOU !!

definately needs more Dr. Who (you should release a first trial in 7 days ;) right after the Dr. Who special :D )

if you need help with scripting/dialogue etc. let me know.

Haha... *swoon* Cheers fella. I'm going to crack on with it right now, I've managed to implement a little bit of player optimisation to the TARDIS systems allowing you to calibrate and refine its speed in exchange for internal space.

I think my main goal with the mod is to have it fit in with the setting of FO3 believably, but be as close to a TARDIS-like simulator as possible. There's no simple 'push button to fly to Megaton' buttons, something I've proven to myself over the past couple of days by throwing in a...

nah... I won't spoil it ;)

Cheers for following though, I'll update as much as possible.

I srsly. miss ma Doctor in Fallout (though i was kinda surprised that he even was in the first 2, I don't think anyone payed anything for obtaining the rights to do so ;) )

so just out of curiosity, is the Doctor actually in the mod (would be a nice feature :D) ?

I srsly. miss ma Doctor in Fallout (though i was kinda surprised that he even was in the first 2, I don't think anyone payed anything for obtaining the rights to do so ;) )

so just out of curiosity, is the Doctor actually in the mod (would be a nice feature :D) ?

I couldn't possibly say... other than there's no sign of him in the first release. Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't?... :whistling:

Coral Buttresses put in tonight, had a wee dabble with Max and came up with some nice static meshes.

I incorporated a new mechanic to the Flight process, but it became overcomplicated, so I'm going to remove it and add it to an existing process.

I've moved house this weekend though, so last nights being a leaving do full of booze, and tonight being a welcome back do... full of booze.... I'll be no doubt in a bit of a state to work on it. I will crack on tomorrow though.

Oh, I've also incorporated a few more tweaks to the sub-quest which involves you finding Ten items in order to receive a reward...

More to come tomorrow.

On a side note - make sure you all watch Waters of Mars on BBC One tomorrow night at 7pm :) Need I remind you if youre a Who fan :P

It does, it does. Im not a 3D modeller so it's really my first full export, but I am going to ensure that its updated before release. Im intending to get the time rotor scaled up a fraction, add buttons and the likes and have the column animated.

Just an update: The TARDIS is fully working now, with a lot of optimisation options available on the console. I'll be spending the next couple of weeks redoing the model and finalising the Quests and a few other minor adjustments.

If anyone has any particular suggestions, I'm all for them, providing it fits in within the context of the mod.

I'll be looking for 2 testers aswell in a few weeks if anybody's interested.