Scripting and Object Creation

Gribbleshnibit8

Ok, this is actually several questions across a bunch of topics.

1) I created a new object, so that I could add a custom script to it without affecting the originals, however, the object.....isn't, it's just in my list, the object itself has no 3D representation. What I can't figure out how to do is set the nifs on the file. Cause when I go to look for them, there's no file to open. I've looked for this and couldn't find anything, so it's getting asked.

2) I want to set these switches to control a bunch of things, lights, doors, and terminals. Is this possible, and if so, how? This same switch would also be controlling lights, doors, and terminals in other cells, so that needs to be taken into account, if it matters.

3) How do you control what shows up in a container? I was testing something and had a key for a place that has nothing to do with my location.

I guess what I really need is a pointer to a really good series of tutorials to teach scripting.

Thanks for those, the scripting for sure. However, my biggest problem, and one I don't see answered, is object creating. Basically, I just need a clone of a switch, with a new ID on it so I can give it a custom script. Everything I've seen so far is just a tutorial on how to bring brand new objects into the game, not adding a nif to a file. Since the nifs I want are already part of the fallout3.esp, I would think there should be a way to access them somehow. Though I could be mistaken. I just can't figure it out, short of extracting that file and adding it again, which seems pointless and wasteful.

Select a switch from the Object Window, for instance "ElectricalSwitch". Right click on it in the list and select Edit. In the case of this object you will see another box open that is titled "Activator" and shows an ID window in the upper left hand corner that is called "ElectricalSwitch".

Rewrite that ID for the switch to something else (i.e. "ElectricalSwitchCustom") and click the OK button. Another box will open that announces that you have changed the Form's Editor ID. Create a new Form? Click YES. Now you have a "new" object that is identical to the original in appearance and function and can receive a unique script that will not be applied to the original object. If you click NO when it asks you if you want to create a new form, then it will rename all of the ElectricalSwitch units in the game, so be careful at that step.

Scripting that switch to toggle one object that is an activate parent for other objects will allow you to control many references with one switch.