GECK Issues

Gribbleshnibit8

I'm having trouble with the what would seem to be a very simple feature. First, my snap to grid is, I'm assuming, not working properly. What happens when I enable it and try to move an object is that it first drops the object down about 1/4 to 1/6 the distance of my snap distance and then behaves properly. No matter what I try, it always seems to do this drop or rise (depending on camera orientation) before working. It makes lining things up impossible, as well as being very frustrating. The menu settings are:

Movement speed: 1.00

Snap to Grid: 128

Rotation Speed 1.00

Snap to Angle: 45

When I first start the GECK and load a cell, it gives me this error

3D for Ref 'MetHallLite01' (000B4379) does not support external emittance but ref has explicit emittance data

NiControllerSequence::StoreTargets 'Open'failed to find target with the following identifiers:

m_pcAVObjectName dialface:0

m_pcCtlrType NiMaterialColorController

m_pcPropertyType NiMaterialProperty

I get both several times in a row. Not sure what they mean. Also, on closing, it'll give me an error on a furniture marker, which I've never even placed on my map.

You could try the snap-to-object function to align objects like walls and floors and such. You can also manually enter x,y,z coordinates and rotation angles to align objects.

The GECK will often display errors concerning vanilla objects. It seems that some of the default items are flawed.

How exactly does that work then, because I'm hitting the hotkey and selecting an object, and it's not snapping. It just continues to either, slide if I don't have snap on, or snap to the normal grid with the displacement deal.

usually the first piece you put is messed up in its dimensions (cause it can't snap to a grid, since there isn't one defined yet)

a nice work around: either just put the first piece and then use CTRL+D to duplicate it (this piece will align to the correct grid) and delete the first piece and work from there.

or which personally i find much nicer in dealing with, is place the first piece and assign its values by hand (just double click it and go tothe 3D data tab)

there just enter a value you can remember easily and type fast (like 32000 just make sure its dividable by the regular grid sizes (32,64,128) personally since I'm lazy, I usually just go with 0,0,0 for X,Y,Z on the first piece cause that way I don't even have to think about the new pieces position cause i know its parameters (like if its a 64 units piece, and you want it to be left from the first piece just type -64 for X (or 64 if you want it to the right). I have no idea why the GECK starts with values in the 33.000 there's no point to it, the only place where values are important is in the worldspace area, but since I assume you work indoors, theres no water required so you can pick any values you please. so don't make it harder on yourself by workin with pieces that use values like: 33957.65 (thats horrible to type, at least shape it to something clean (like 34000))

that way it also becomes much easier when you drag and drop a new piece in (cause you don't have to Z+mouse it all over the place, you can just type 32000 in the 3D data tab and its right on the spot) and it makes connecting different grid pieces a lot easier (like if you use one that snaps to 64 and one that snaps to 128, no need to fumble it into place, just type the values that way the pieces are always connected cause you clearly put them in place and not -0.1 units off)