New To Modding Oblivion

wolfpack91

Ok i am An Elder scrolls vetran i have played all of them. but i never modded till Fallout New Vegas back when it was the newest game on the market and then continued to Skyrim, well now im backtracking i just got my Hands On the Anthology and now have All 5 games and ALL their DLC, well i am jumping into Oblivion Now and i was wondering what were the Must have Mods that are still up. i usually Always Play as a Vampire so mods that would work with that would be nice, i am a completionist, but i love adding New Quests and Content, i Love Assassins. DB is My Favorite thing to do and a close second is Mages Guild. things that improve those would be Amazing. but i dont even know where to start in oblivion, i been around the Nexus community since the end of fallout 3 and got in heavily in Fallout NV and Skyrim but i got a Craving for nostalgia and Oblivion was the best writen most diverse Elder Scrolls of the new Generation (IE 3, 4, 5) . But i Cant Play unmodded as there is no real challenge and i already know the whole game front to back. i need some variation to help Shake the dust off this old game.

Any suggestions?

Well to start let me say that asking what are the MUST HAVE mods will, as with any question of that kind, get you 50 different answers from 50 different people. It's all very subjective to personal taste. An easy way to find quality mods is just take a look at Files of The Month or Top 100 lists. But just to chime in on some of my personal must haves:

1. Better Cities or Open Cities ( There is even a version of Better cities that is built to work with Open Cities). Whichever you happen to go with will transform all the vanilla cities and give the feel of a brand new game. Open Cities even does the Shivering Isles Cities.

2. Unique Landscapes series. All of them in my case. There are potential mod conflicts depending on what other mods you choose to install. With that said, most popular mod conflicts have existing patches made already. No other mods transform the look and feel of this game more than UL. With UL and one of the city mods mentioned above, you effectively have an entirely new game world to explore.

3. Mart's Monster Mod. Just as the name suggests adds more new types of creatures..lots of them..and new variations of existing creatures..lots of them.

4. Francescos. Adds new weapons and armors into the game. In chests, loot, and on NPCs throughout the game.

5. Various vanilla village mods by Arthmoor. There are several, and each transforms the vanilla location it is made for. Some of if not the best village mods out there. What makes them truly must have is the combination of reworked locations with the addition of new quests.

Being a Dark Brotherhood fan myself these next are geared specifically towards that end

6. A Brotherhood Renewed by Arthmoor. Expands on and enhances the vanilla questline including the addition of more sanctuaries.

7. A Better Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary by Khettiena. Totally transforms the interior of the Cheydinhal Sanctuary. Also is compatible with a few smaller mods which add new content to the interior.

8. Dark Brotherhood Chapel Memorial. More for added atmosphere inside the Cheydinhal Sanctuary. Adds a new room with clutter and a memorial that shows up after finishing parts of the quest. The mod above has a version that is compatible with this one.

9. Cyrodiil NPC Remodeling Project- Dark Brotherhood. Totally revamps the outfits, equipment, even hair styles of all the NPCs in the Dark Brotherhood. There are other mods in this series as well including one for the Fighter's Guild.

I'll leave off here. As I said taste is highly subjective so just take a look at these. No doubt you will receive many other suggestions as well. But do some thorough research. There are so, so many good mods out there to try.

Edited by mhahn123

Well had to come back and suggest a few more. Since you mentioned adding new quests. These are some of my all time favorite quest mods.

1. Gates to Aesgaard Episodes 1 and 2

2. The Lost Spires

3. The Heart of The Dead

4. Tears of The Fiend

5. Ruined Tails Tale

6. Kvatch Rebuilt

7. The Dungeons of Ivellon

8. Knights of The Nine Revelations

9. Reclaiming Sancre Tor

Again there are many others out there. These are the ones that have stayed in my game time and again since first trying them.

Thanks for the List. i have been having troubles Getting the Steam Version to Work so i had to fall back on the GOTY Physical Non Steam disk install (thank god the Anthology came with Physical Disks) but i snatched the steam DLC mods and just used the GOTY SI and KOTN and now having to use the physical Disk. anyone know where i can get a No disk crack since i do have it purchased legally so i can just put the disk away where it wont get damaged?