Post War Town

Tony the Wookie

Ok, it has been 200 years since the bombs blew everything to peices, so I think it is about time people started rebuilding a new civilization enstead of surviving on the leftover crumbs of the past.

Really, I am just trying to think of some interesting, plausible, and lore fitting ways to put together post-war towns in the Fallout universe.

We have towns like Megaton, that are completly put together post war, but rely entirely on pre-war supplies, and couldn't possibly continue to build with the pre-war supply of airplanes now gone. But other than Megaton, most people are still using pre-war buildings (or boats) to live in. It seems like the most advanced builders other than the people of Megaton are the citizens of Little Lamplight, which I find quite odd... Because if the kids can build all those structures, why can't someone out in the wasteland.

I am currently researching primitive building styles as well as the resources available in the area and such, and I will post my thoughts on this matter when I am done. But untill then I figured some other people around here might have some good and interesting ideas on how the pre-war world could make a town that is self-sustainable, and also interesting to fit into a videogame world (so nothing too boring or simple, because we don't play videogames for the purpose of being practical and boring).

But anyways, before anyone asks, yes, I do have a point in all of this. This is not just a pointless hypothetical situation question. I fully intend to be 3D modeling a ton of new buildings and stuff for a town I am building, and extras that I will probly release as a modders resource, or see if the RTS people are interested in any of my buildings and stuff.

So, if you have any ideas, or are looking for something specific for your own post-war town or whatever, tell me, I may just be able to 3D model what you need.

But I will be back later today after I finish my research on architecture and building materials.

So if i'm understanding you correctly your thinking of ideas for other towns to add to the wastelands.

How about a city made out of an abandon Metro station (I'm talking three floors of houses, stores, bars, resturants, and inns. Made out of train cars and tracks.

So if i'm understanding you correctly your thinking of ideas for other towns to add to the wastelands.

How about a city made out of an abandon Metro station (I'm talking three floors of houses, stores, bars, resturants, and inns. Made out of train cars and tracks.

Not exactly...

I am looking for ways to create a new civilization. To move foward, and stop living in the ruins of the pre-war world. I want to make Post-War built towns.

It has been 200 years, I think it is about time people moved on from living in pre-war cities and building with the rubble of pre-war trash. I don't want to simply occupy and already build pre-war area.

Humans have been building permenent brick settlments since circa 7500 B.C.

So why do the people of the Wasteland still not know how to make their own houses and stuff.

still not...

I mean makeing small towns that were built post war. 20-50 people per town.

The population in Fallout doesn't seem high enough to even sustain a moderatly large building project. But a small city, with brick and concrete walls and wooden or brick houses seems more appropriate.

What I want is to create a small self sustaining village with about 25 people, that can produce their own food through farming, and can produce there own ammo, and even "post-war muskets" that I want to make.

I'm thinking the setting is more fitting of like the old Wild West towns and such. A bunch of people out in a wasteland that band together to try to survive.

I've been playing a lot of Call of Juarez lately, and have been getting ideas from that...

This sounds interesting. In my phoenix mod I have gone a similar way, there is a lot more things built by the people from scratch, along with new structures built in the ruins.

One faction has gathered a lot of resources and are able to mine iron and use it to make steel. Basically they build new buildings and repair old ones. They also use a lot of concrete, because its very simple to make basic concrete.

This sounds interesting. In my phoenix mod I have gone a similar way, there is a lot more things built by the people from scratch, along with new structures built in the ruins.

One faction has gathered a lot of resources and are able to mine iron and use it to make steel. Basically they build new buildings and repair old ones. They also use a lot of concrete, because its very simple to make basic concrete.

For a larger faction steel would work well.

Though, with only about 25 people in my town it is a bit over the scale they could probly pull off. Concrete and brick and stucco would however be simple enough to pull off.

What I was thinking was, that the two biggest obsticles the town would face would be the lack of trees left over after the war, and the constant attacking of Raiders and such. So the first priority of a post-war town would probly be a wall.

There are plenty of materials left around that could be made into a wall. With all of the concrete structures and the large freeway bridges and stuff, it wouldn't be hard to get a large amount of material to use. Though in the big chunks they are in, they wouldn't really be possible to move, for a small group of people with no powerful machinery, so they would probly have to break it into smaller movable peices.

I would also assume that there would be a large amount of pre-war bricks left over from houses that were blown apart when the bombs were dropped.

So with some simple primative mortar it would be more than possible for the people to make a decent sized wall to protect them and their crops from outside invaders. I was thinking about makeing it about 10' tall.

I think it would look pretty cool if I mixed up the different building materials, so I could get a random mixture of concrete blocks of varrying sizes, standard bricks, and stones.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8114/cojbibgamex862009111223.png

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8114/cojbibgamex862009111223.png

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4025/cojbibgamex862009111623.png

It is natural to scrounge for manufactured materials if they are available. There is no way that I would construct a kiln and fire my own bricks if I wanted to build a house near abandoned damaged buildings that offered a supply of free building materials. I would do exactly like my Grandfather who built a farmhouse with processed building materials from an abandoned lumber mill in real life. It was very stout.

Chances are that 200 years after the war most people wouldn't have a clue about building methods because there is no organized education, and skills have been lost. There would likely still be stockpiles of building materiels like bricks, lumber and bags of concrete to use, but that is still scrounging. It doesn't even seem as if the BOS or Enclave are involved in new construction, and they are the most organized groups in post-Apocalyptia.

Stone houses were common in pre-industrial America, and stone would still be available as a wall building material. Personally, I would not build a house from bricks or cinderblocks because high velocity small arms fire can shatter them easily. If I could scrounge a mixer, bags of pre-mix concrete and rebar from a pre-war construction site then I would use them for new, survival oriented dwellings and town walls.

Any group that counted on homemade muskets against pre-war AK-47s and plasma rifles and post-war deathclaws would be short lived. The sort of community that you describe might exist 200 years after the End, but would be more likely to be found in more remote areas that don't have ready supplies of abandoned buildings and materials. That is the scenario for the tribal settlement where the player starts in Fallout 2. The houses are thatched huts, weapons are spears, knives and clubs, and medicine amounts to little bags of herbs. Might be fun to see something like that in FO3, where even Oasis tribals have automatic rifles.

Any group that counted on homemade muskets against pre-war AK-47s and plasma rifles and post-war deathclaws would be short lived. The sort of community that you describe might exist 200 years after the End, but would be more likely to be found in more remote areas that don't have ready supplies of abandoned buildings and materials. That is the scenario for the tribal settlement where the player starts in Fallout 2. The houses are thatched huts, weapons are spears, knives and clubs, and medicine amounts to little bags of herbs. Might be fun to see something like that in FO3, where even Oasis tribals have automatic rifles.

Well, I wasn't thinking of haveing the post-war muskets be the primary protection of the town. I was thinking of it more of a novelty, as a way to show that someone is actually trying. The gaurds are going to be very heavly armed behind their fortified wall.