Post War Town

Tony the Wookie

Chances are that 200 years after the war most people wouldn't have a clue about building methods because there is no organized education, and skills have been lost. There would likely still be stockpiles of building materiels like bricks, lumber and bags of concrete to use, but that is still scrounging. It doesn't even seem as if the BOS or Enclave are involved in new construction, and they are the most organized groups in post-Apocalyptia.

That's what I was getting at. :wallbash:

It has been 200 years, I think it is about time people moved on from living in pre-war cities and building with the rubble of pre-war trash. I don't want to simply occupy and already build pre-war area.

Sry an idea just hit me. Building on my metro idea, how about the people just use it as a template and gut it out, build new support pillars, stairs, waking platforms, and expand outward (slowly as the population grows). Then break-up the old building materials and either use in the making of the new building materials or use it as an ingredient in the the of new building materials (I think that how they do it now a days).

Anyway this is an easy way to do it and technically the only think left of the old Metro is the man-made cave and tunnels. Even that going to be unrecognizable.

It also give an ideal and defend able town manually cave-in the Metro tunnels and seal the entrance with reinforced concrete(feral ghoul problem solved, hostile Super Mutants are another thing :sweat: ), but Reporgrammed Protectotron inside and outside new and old entrances (can cave-in the old at any point)... :mellow:

I think I inspired myself make a mod. :sweat:

Exuce me I'm going to go workout the details :biggrin:

Chances are that 200 years after the war most people wouldn't have a clue about building methods because there is no organized education, and skills have been lost. There would likely still be stockpiles of building materiels like bricks, lumber and bags of concrete to use, but that is still scrounging. It doesn't even seem as if the BOS or Enclave are involved in new construction, and they are the most organized groups in post-Apocalyptia.

That's what I was getting at. :wallbash:

It has been 200 years, I think it is about time people moved on from living in pre-war cities and building with the rubble of pre-war trash. I don't want to simply occupy and already build pre-war area.

Sry an idea just hit me. Building on my metro idea, how about the people just use it as a template and gut it out, build new support pillars, stairs, waking platforms, and expand outward (slowly as the population grows). Then break-up the old building materials and either use in the making of the new building materials or use it as an ingredient in the the of new building materials (I think that how they do it now a days).

Anyway this is an easy way to do it and technically the only think left of the old Metro is the man-made cave and tunnels. Even that going to be unrecognizable.

It also give an ideal and defend able town manually cave-in the Metro tunnels and seal the entrance with reinforced concrete(feral ghoul problem solved, hostile Super Mutants are another thing :sweat: ), but Reporgrammed Protectotron inside and outside new and old entrances (can cave-in the old at any point)... :mellow:

I think I inspired myself make a mod. :sweat:

First of all, I don't think the knowledge of building would be lost at all. They didn't have any form of organized education in the dark ages, but they still managed to build houses and towns and even gothic cathedrals. One trained carpenter would pass down the knowledge to his son or an apprentice or something, and they continue on the legacy of building.

Carpentry and Masonry have been around as long as human civilizations, and I don't think a simple apocolypse could kill it.

The one problem with the metro would be the lack of sunlight, so they couldn't grow food or anything.

And i'm thinking Ghoul Masons

Exactly.

In the fallout universe ghouls live an extremely long time, and since there are still people in ghoul form from before the war the knowledge would not be lost. If a small town had a smart ghoul they would probably know how to make proper concrete and how to use simple electricity.

And i'm thinking Ghoul Masons

Exactly.

In the fallout universe ghouls live an extremely long time, and since there are still people in ghoul form from before the war the knowledge would not be lost. If a small town had a smart ghoul they would probably know how to make proper concrete and how to use simple electricity.

My ghoul worked makeing vaults for Vault-Tec before the war :ninja:

and no, I didn't just make that up, it is a major part of my story

But the carpenter in my town learned everything he knows from his father, who was taught by his father, who was taught by his father who was a carpenter before he entered the vault.

Ok, so I have a bit of a plan now

First I am going to make a few really simple 3D models that will be new clutter items. But, these clutter items will be valuable if you colect them and bring them to the town Mason. I am going to add...

- A simple brick - nothing interesting really, just scattered bricks where houses or building used to be

- Large stones - these will be stones that you can pick up that are suitable for use in building walls

- Portland cement - a simple enough bag, that holds the main ingredeint to make concrete, that can be used as mortar for the masonry wallsPIC

They will be simple enough to find, but heavy. You can find the bags of cement around industrial sites and stuff.

But anyways, the one thing I am missing is a good source for lumber...

I have come up with two possible solutions. The first is importing it from Point Lookout by Ferry, and the second is scavanging whatever decent wood they can find from pre-war houses and such. Though, I am not sure the condition it would be in after 200 years and an atomic bomb... (where did Little Lamplight get all that lumber?)

But one way or another, I need lumber for the carpenter to make furniture and houses and such (even though a lot of houses will be out of masonry as well)

I am going to model a pre-war lathe and some other various saws on quipment needed.

I am thinking that I might have the town build on the ruins of pre-war town, but all but a couple of the buildings were so destroyed that is was easier just to tear them down and build new ones. Two pre-war building will be fixed up. They colected and repaired as many tools as possible to help rebuild their society.

But what I am going to be doing with this, is makeing the town in a repaired state, but then systematically tear it apart and give the player the worst possible condition. And then the town will get slowly repaired, and I will have a script that first replaces the torn down stuff with a "construction period" mesh, that has the wood frame showing and such. And the it will finally be replaced by the good mesh.

• 3 weeks later...
Well since i was sent here :P I'm not gonna build off anyone's idea for location of city or make my own up, BUT i do agree people would move forward in due time and make a "new" city/town a safe haven/fresh new start for wastelanders or run away slaves/androids/ghouls. I read importing wood from point lookout if your gonna incorporate DLC's into this Mod then i'd say incorporate 1 more :) The pitt. A wonderful place full of what? Refinery goods/metal workers and machines. An active trading in dialogue to explain the build up of the town and the player actively chipping in caps for trading / buying ect... Also what else is around in the wasteland? Dirt, Broken down buildings, Radiation, Twigs, lot's of scrap metal. using these abundant resources (except radiation) you could come up with Many different building materials, bricks , sand bags, dirt mounds/walls. Also one last point, in history civilizations that were somewhat educated (I think wastelanders are somewhat, all because of three dog) learned to build towns and cities to defend against attackers using the bonuses and positives of battle of the land, such as hills/ cliffs, mountains, and islands. Possibly that could be incorporated into the Mod for location wise instead of just in the middle of nowhere waste.

Ok so check what I have to say about this and tell me what do you think?

So just make patriarc or the Wise Old Dude, a Ghoul, ( or Many Wise Ghouls ) A human that got Ghoulified by the extreme radiation of Atomic Attack. And maybe he was a Pre-War Architect or just a guy that worked in constructions. Or maybe just a Ghoul that was smart enough and had a really good memory to remember how houses where and how logically where built and which materials where use for them.

And by that the Settlement approves the Ghouls because some still remember important info about the probably their professions Medic, Architect, Farmer/Agronomer, computer engineer, teacher And soo on. So by that you get a Smart Humanist Society that approves Ghouls and A.K.A. are Peaceful and Very Very Smart and polite. So by their knowlegde they are self sustainable and where able to stand the harshness of the Wasteland.

Tell me about this, I would like to hear what you guys think about my idea.