Post War Town

Tony the Wookie

Ok so check what I have to say about this and tell me what do you think?

So just make patriarc or the Wise Old Dude, a Ghoul, ( or Many Wise Ghouls ) A human that got Ghoulified by the extreme radiation of Atomic Attack. And maybe he was a Pre-War Architect or just a guy that worked in constructions. Or maybe just a Ghoul that was smart enough and had a really good memory to remember how houses where and how logically where built and which materials where use for them.

And by that the Settlement approves the Ghouls because some still remember important info about the probably their professions Medic, Architect, Farmer/Agronomer, computer engineer, teacher And soo on. So by that you get a Smart Humanist Society that approves Ghouls and A.K.A. are Peaceful and Very Very Smart and polite. So by their knowlegde they are self sustainable and where able to stand the harshness of the Wasteland.

Tell me about this, I would like to hear what you guys think about my idea.

The story I am going with at the moment is that two people founded the town. They end up getting a water purifier out of one of the vaults as part of a deal with some Raiders, and then they take the water purifier and start the town as more of a tradeing post at first.

So, the first of the founders is Franklin, who is a Ghoul that was 27 years old when the bombs went off. Before the bombs he worked setting up security systems in vaults, but he had a college education in engineering and a strong knowledge of architecture both modern and ancient. He has also traveled across a large amount of the Eastern section of the Post-War United States, all the while learning the different ways people have come to survive.

But anyways, Franklin doesn't really take on a leadership role in the town though, he is more a teacher than a governor. He sets out to teach the people in the town what they need to know to survive and to push foward their civilization. He tries very hard to teach all of the childern to read and has a library full of pre-war books, and a volume of his own writing.

He has been the number one advisor to every Mayor the town has had, but he has never really taken a realy position of power.

The second of the two founders is the one that takes on a real leadership position. Charles had been traveling with Franklin for quite some time before the formed the town, and he was the one that made the deal with the Raiders to get the water purifier (though it was Franklins skills at breaking into vault secutity that allowed the deal to happen) But Charles becomes the guy that runs the town.

Charles takes on the position of leader, and then when he gets married and has kids, he puts his son in position to take over after him, creating a form of wasteland monarchy.

But anyways, when they start building things up to create their tradeing post they bring in a man that they had met a few years back that has been trained by his father that had been trainded by his father, that had been trained by his father, that had been a carpenter before spending 50 years inside of a vault. So, this guy has the past down knowledge of generations of pre-war and then post-war architects.

So with this guy they start building up a really nicely defended tradeing post. Then the people they hired (paying them with purified water) to help build the walls started building up their own homes and setteling their families their, so then it eventually grows into a full fleged town based on haveing purified water (to sustain life and grow food) and haveing the knowledge to build fortifications.

But anyways, I will stop for now and see what anyone else has to say. I do have some more ideas inside my head, but I want to give you the chance to respond before I keep on going.

I take it you're going for a bit of a primitive or tribal aesthetic with this. With that in mind, it would not be unreasonable that one would make armor out of Mirelurk carapace, or (if they're particularly grisly - one might assume they are if they're doing deals with raiders) super mutant hide. Super Mutant skin may be a bit rarer of a commodity, but it would be a good source of leather when it can be obtained.

For a quest since the town is being built as the player advances looting for food and other necessary items should be another not just building materials. Helping the town build up on its food supplies cause you cant work on an empty stomach. You can bring them food you loot and they can repay you in some way. Also bring the town doctor medical supplies like braces etc. It would give all that clutter a purpose and scavenger hunts are always fun.

For a quest since the town is being built as the player advances looting for food and other necessary items should be another not just building materials. Helping the town build up on its food supplies cause you cant work on an empty stomach. You can bring them food you loot and they can repay you in some way. Also bring the town doctor medical supplies like braces etc. It would give all that clutter a purpose and scavenger hunts are always fun.

Well, the town isn't really being built as much as repaired, the biggest part of the town is going to be there, just in torn up shape.

I did think it would be cool to build the town from scratch, but when I thought more on it, it just looked like way too much work to be completed in a reasonable amout of time.

But anyways, I'm not sure if you ever read my other thread for my "Growing and Dynamic Town" but these mods are really just one in the same. I just wanted to let the other thread die for the moment and I started this to keep people on one topic which wasn't possible with the all inclusive topic for my mod.

But the point to that being, a big part of the eventual goal of this mod is to give players something to do with all of the loot and stuff they find across the Wasteland. Because personally, just selling loot for caps, when I already have more money than I know what to do with is pretty pointless...

So I want to set up all the different shops with certain loot they accept, which will make that shop prosper and they will eventually give you one of a kind rewards. (that will have something to do with a custom model made by me, maybe a house item or outfit or something)

You can bring pretty much any kind of loot and it will help one of the various people in my town. As you help them it will unlock dialogue as well as help them repair their own shop and maybe other parts of the town as a whole. I might make a certain player home item that you can only get through helping each particular shop to its full potential. So if you want the ultimate player house you must first help everyone else by bringing them stuffl

But anyways, I am going to stop there, even though I have a ton of other ideas on the subject, just to keep this particular thread on topic. I need to get the physical aspect of this town built first, before I move onto other things and get overwelmed. I figure if I make this town look really nice I may just be able to recruit some script people to my cause. I already found one guy that works with me that is a veteran Oblivion scripter that may help me out.

But anyways, I am rambling now... But if you have more ideas on quests and the like, feel free to hop on over to my Growing and Dynamic Town page, it isn't very active anymore, but I can assure you that I read everything that is put on that page.

And now a question, is anyone interested in seeing the layout ideas I have sketched out? I can post them on here if you want, but if no one is interested I won't waste my time.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that people build with the materials at hand. if you can get scraps of the old world then you will use them, if you cannot you will not. This means that the towns would be built with what ever was handy. Megaton is a bad example actually, the materials they used are all in pretty rough shape and would not really stand up to a rocket launcher or even a sever storm.

But, back to the point at hand. If you want a town that has used new materials then do not put them in reach of old ones. You need to give them a reason to have settled there however. A non-radiated well? Good crop land? Some wierdo wandering but and asking them about crop rotation? Maybe someone took a seed from oasis and planted food thet will grown here.

Once they have chosen to live there they will use the materials around them for the first buildings. Stone shelters withe the odd bit of recovered scrap (maybe a radar tower dish for the roof of the town hall.) then, as the town grows and prospers they will get materials from further away and attract more people (good and bad)

It seems to me that people build with the materials at hand. if you can get scraps of the old world then you will use them, if you cannot you will not. This means that the towns would be built with what ever was handy. Megaton is a bad example actually, the materials they used are all in pretty rough shape and would not really stand up to a rocket launcher or even a sever storm.

But, back to the point at hand. If you want a town that has used new materials then do not put them in reach of old ones. You need to give them a reason to have settled there however. A non-radiated well? Good crop land? Some wierdo wandering but and asking them about crop rotation? Maybe someone took a seed from oasis and planted food thet will grown here.

Once they have chosen to live there they will use the materials around them for the first buildings. Stone shelters withe the odd bit of recovered scrap (maybe a radar tower dish for the roof of the town hall.) then, as the town grows and prospers they will get materials from further away and attract more people (good and bad)

The idea is not as much that they shouldn't collect materials from the ruins and stuff, but more the idea of building new structures and the like.

More like takeing the supplies you can get and building something new, because all of those pre-war ruins would be entirely unsafe to live in. Not only would they be likely to colapse, but they don't have much in terms of deffense from outsiders as well.