See my legs when I look down

ancalimonungol

I remember seeing a mod like this for Oblivion. The results looked pretty bad, though. The problem is that the person models don't lend themselves to be properly viewable from the first person view.

Too bad :( I think 1st person games in which you can't see your legs feels like engine demos.

well its like this...

when you enter first person mode the engine replaces the players model with a first person version of it that only consists of the players hands and the weapon you're using.

this allows for higher quality models to be used in first person view.

the models used in 3rd person would seem blurry in 1stp if this wasn't done...

and the extra polies used for the higher detail models are made up for by discarding

the stuff that is 'not as important'

this made a lot of sense back in the days when 3d was new and most pc's were struggling with it and so it became the industry standard for fps games.

i'd really love to change that in fallout3...

but doing that would require importing and exporting every piece of armor individually

in addition to creating new animations for the 1stP models...

and some simple things like walking animations might not even be doable because they are hardcoded for 3rdP.

now even if someone did all the hard work required for this .. it would not be compatible with mods that add new armor to the game... every modder would have to create new 1stP versions of their armor.

so the other way to approach this would be to disable 1stP mode und simply use 3rdP mode with the camera placed in front of the head.

but then you'd essentially disable high quality weapon models and reload animations

and the head model would clip through the camera, meaning you would have bits of your own face blocking your vision.

• 3 years later...