What's all this beautification about?

domanz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

white teeth came out first because it was really really really really easy to make...

a lot of these other ones are made as a consequence of the makers' interests. If you study art and the human form, then you might feel like seeing how beautiful you can make some models.

Probably it's just because it's a fantasy make-believe world we're escaping to. If we wanted realistic levels of prettification, we'd try to make our avatar look exactly like ourselves (or as much as the game permits). I don't like doing that (indeed, my characters are distinctly very diametrically opposed to me, in look and manner, not least because they're often female, where I am not).

We all love pretty things, I don't see this as necessarily a bad thing.

The obvious corrolary question is why there are so many nude mods for these games. Rule Thirty-Four, or All Gamers Are Perverts? You decide :P

To me it's not about making things more beautiful for the sake of beauty alone, it's about correcting forms that assault my vision.

For example, vanilla bodies in Oblivion were very ape like and disturbed me because I don't see fit people in life look or move that way, hair is always a must to have because default hairs tend to be too short, lack variation to begin with or look like plastic caps with spikes. I exaggerate but you get my drift. :)

As for face mods, I made mine early on because Morrigan and Leliana's faces were not proportional to me. Morrigan being the worst culprit, her whole face was a visual affront. I appreciate not everyone feels that way, but that's why I did those and I only released them to share because my first idea was to keep the mod to myself, as most of my mods are kept because I can't be bothered to fix everything...

I'm not a big fan of overly beautiful faces and mods either, I just like faces and bodies with proper proportions and smooth animations. I really don't understand the mods that make Wynne young for example, makes no sense to me. My favorite mod in Oblivion is Tamriel NPC's revamped, this changes the face of every single NPC in the game, but does not make them perfect or beautiful but gives them symmetry and character, something severely lacking in the vanilla version where everyone has pudding face syndrome. :D

This is a rather philosophical question I'm asking and has not much to do with modding itself. I've noticed that no matter which moddable game I'm looking at (Oblivion, Fallout 3, DA:O to name specifics), a great deal of attention is paid on making the actors look like beatiful people, up to the extreme. Baby faces, skin as pink as pink it would get and as soft as... well, I don't know, a softcake? Doesn't matter, I just wonder why. Dont get me wrong, I feel you in a certain way, but there are places in the internet to get your kicks elsewhere.

I was rather amazed that one of the first mods to be released made the teeth white. There I was thinking, yay, finally they got it that people living in the medieval had no teethbrushes, and there you go, teeth are white again. I'm asking myself if beauty is not overrated and even greatly misunderstood. Sure, it's something everyone has a different view of, and every view is to be respected. So, to be able to respect you, I ask you now what makes you do that. Personally, to me, all "beautificated" actors already available for DA:O look far worse than the original ones, because I learned to like their specialties. The strange lips from morrigan or these little wrinkles leliana has at her eyes. All beautification projects eventually end up removing all specialties from the original faces and turn them into standard faces which all look the same, big eyes, no wrinkles, kiss-me-lips, you know what I'm talking about.

Have I lost you all or are there some who followed?

I admit having some sort of uneasy feeling when talking about this, but I hope I managed to enable you to answer in a civil way. No harm done, I hope. Just something interesting to talk about, I think. Considering how many mods with just that topic there are...

I agree wholeheartedly. I rarely use such mods, preferring ones that add eyes and hair, but leave faces alone. Each to their own and all that, some people like a world of pretty girls, but for the most part, I like the original faces in games. I like ugly people. The only one in Dragon age that I've changed is Zevran, and it was the one mod that made only minimal changes without changing his whole character. Same applies with Oblivion and Fallout - I like the original faces and have grown to know them.

Well, domanz,

I will tell you what is beautification about...

In real life exists a very biased and very cruel tyranny of the beauty. Unfortunately.

It means if you have flawless skin, beautiful face and your breath does not stink, you are doomed to make easily big bucks and sometimes be famous, have lots of fans and followers.

Modders are human, they are slaves of this same tyranny. They beautify NPCs and create means to build prettier characters. because they want to re-create life's basic laws in-game. And are happy and proud.

Players are slaves of the same tyranny, they download and install beautification mods and are happy and proud.

There are people ready to kill to get a stunningly beautiful lady. Mahy.

Only occasionally there are people like my beloved modder AlienSlof who can see beyond the 'beauty' ruse and raise themselves above it.

I however am not among them. I am slave of the beauty. I like watching old films with Angelina Jolie, Catherine Zeta-Jones and so on and so on.

Hence the Hi-Res skin textures mods, better bodies and faces and we use them and we live the dream as the billions on this planet...

So, you were asking... :D

• 8 months later...

well i kno this thread is super out dated, but to me personally, a good conversation never ends. So please do not be angered that i replied to this thread.

now to the question of why big boobs, i have an answer.

to be honest im not a big boob fan, the best size to me is a c or b. I am more of a rear person, i love nice tushies :P

but i wanted a big boob mod to add more realisim. not to give everyone big boobs, just certain percent. to be honest i wish there was a mod that just went through the game and changed all the boobs and butts into different sizes and looks. I just want a game to have concious realism. If the npc and things you play as resemles humans and have the same human body parts, like arms legs or in this case boobs, then shouldnt they all look different? I like fasntasy because its a break from reality, but if you play a game that is completely unrealistic and repettitive, its becomes mundane. So by adding diferent sized jub jubs and buts, you add a more realistic truth to the game: no one is exactly like some one else, and know aspect of a person looks like anothers perfectly. So if ther was a mod to give some ppl small boobs, and others big boobs, and give one guy a limp, and another guy one deformed arm, it would make the game easier to place yourself in, it would be more simple to pretened your the main character.

But all in all this is just my oppinion, and i appologize if i angered ne one by reviving a dead thread and apologize for angering any one with my oppinion.

Heyas Aiden, welcome to the nexus forums :)

Yeah...technically, you're not supposed to revive old threads that are this old. But since our section of the site is fairly slow right now, I'll let it slip this time, just dont make a big habit of it ;)

As for the topic- its all about having fun, and personal taste. I mean, its a lot easier to enjoy a game, when the graphics are pleasing to the eye. Its like back in my old comic book days. The story coulda been really good, the action really good, but a lousy artist could ruin the whole experience.

And IMO Bioware made some of the characters in the game just downright mutt ugly. And the body meshes in the game have quite a bit that could have been done a whole lot better.

So if the community can do it, then let them make improvements and power to them.

If it's not to somebody else's particular taste... well, nobody is forcing them to download and install and then play that particular mod.

... i wish there was a mod that just went through the game and changed all the [attributes] into different sizes and looks...

Well, they don't give anyone a limp or anything, but the combination of the following mods will go a long way to providing the diversity of appearance that you would like to see!

a) "Natural Bodies All In One" (NBaio) brings together a large number of different (nude) body models for all races and genders. (Using the ".override" version via DAMM is probably the easiest way to mix-n-match.)

b) "NudeVariety v4" (NV4) will allow you to select individual body models for the PC, all Companions, and a number of other NPCs.

c) "Dragon Age Redesigned" (not available here on Nexus, but can be found on the BioWare Social network) contains an enormous collection of new faces for virtually ALL of the NPCs, even the most minor ones, and a set of hi-res textures to make everyone look even better!

Getting all these installed and playing nicely together may take some time, but the results can be spectacular.

Have Fun! :thumbsup:

"Dragon Age Redesigned" (not available here on Nexus...

Better look again, Dracomies reconsidered a few weeks back and the mod may be found here: http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=686

Man! Just when I started to get used to the fact that he'd moved it off of here... Look away from the Files Section for a few days and so much changes. :teehee: