Time, is a delicate thing.

Gishank

I love this idea! I've always liked the idea of a Fallout Pre-War Prequel game. Infact, if you're looking for Voice actors I volunteer for it. I'm not professional, but it would be good fun and practice incase I do want to go professional.

I've recently gotten back into Fallout modding, I mod the game not create mods.. sadly. Anyway, this sounds like a great idea, hope you get it working! *plays Back in Time by Huey Lewis and the News from the Back to the Future soundtrack* >.>

Putting aside grammar, skill sets, plausability and questions of follow through; what do you foresee as the world of Fallout before the exchange of nuclear weapons and release of FEV into the environment?

The first portion of your mod sounds quite plausible insofar as the GECK has the ability to allow you to create a secret military installation that the player locates while on the FO3 Wasteland map. Interior cells for the base could be created with vanilla assets as well. Going back to pre-war America will take much more than new landscapes and buildings.

At the beginning of Fallout (1), there is a television program devoted to "Our boys in Canada" that shows two American soldiers in power suits executing a Canadian soldier and waving to the camera. Because of that, I picture pre-apocalypse America in the Fallout universe to be under martial law at least as restrictive as America was during WW2. That would mean that anyone in America would need current identification and unauthorized personnel would not be able to move about in body armor carrying weapons without coming into immediate conflict with law enforcement and National Guard elements. There would be no mutated humans or animals. There would be greater availability of food, clothing, shelter and other essentials, but also a fully operational economic system that would prevent a new arrival from the future from obtaining any of those essentials without sufficient pre-war cash. A person who arrives from the future with no birth records would be forced into a life of crime or be quickly imprisoned or killed, I would think.

How would you make a thirteen year pre-war scenario interesting?

You raise a good point Penny, though soldiers committing a war crime would not neccessarily mean that rationing and martial law would be in effect. Perhaps closer to 2077 when international relations begin to radically collapse martial law is brought in, though the other things you noted such as parading about in full armour and with obvious weaponry would obviously arouse suspicion but you wouldn't be able to be detained by the authorities for doing so. Although I am not an American I believe that the American constitution states that any citizen of the USA has the right to bear armaments. Additionally, I aim to keep the pre-war interesting by implementing new quests, and perhaps attempt at adding a new area of DC... I will also ask select modification authors for permission to use their select mods as Fan-Fiction to add some new things to toy around with. (Of course nothing that would upset the canon too much)

... parading about in full armour and with obvious weaponry would obviously arouse suspicion but you wouldn't be able to be detained by the authorities for doing so. Although I am not an American I believe that the American constitution states that any citizen of the USA has the right to bear armaments.

The Constitution is under continual interpretation but believe me, a citizen's right to bear arms does not allow free and open access to weapons and armor in public. If you attempted to stroll a city street in full combat gear without being a member of a SWAT team then you would soon be the focus of one and would be all over CNN. Legal carry of weapons is still closely regulated and law enforcement is authorized to use deadly force against uncooperative violators. Simple possession of a great many of the weapons available in Fallout 3 without tightly restricted legal authorization would be felony crimes under current American law.

Not to say that stops gangsters from having them, but even they try to be discreet most of the time. Though private citizens can legally own firearms and with special licenses even automatic weapons, handguns are by far the most commonly carried because they can be concealed. There are many places where guns cannot be legally carried under any circumstance by citizens and places and circumstances where they can be legally fired are almost nonexistent in populated areas.

Could always pull a Quantum Leap effect, where-as you jump into the body of someone with birth records and such. Though, the weapon/armor bit would be a bit more complicated still. Actually, I think it would be fun to jump in to the life of a kid pre-war. Gives more lee-way for a 13 year timeframe. And would work akin to Tranquility Lane. 'Course you'd have to make the kid's life somewhat interesting.

But I think it would be a fun idea.

True.. Though the mod would need to have some form of combat rather than in a sense just passive running errands and exploration.

I'm not entirely clear about the fictional history storyline of the pre-war Fallout universe, except that Canada is annexed by the United States and China attacks the US in Alaska. Hard to believe that Russia could stay out of the contest. A website devoted to Fallout lore and canon would be helpful for details. Those sort of details will appease canonists, who can be very sharp and vocal critics of mods that do not conform to Fallout lore.

If the player were to travel back in time to an active war zone rather than to a peaceful city then that what provide more combat opportunities. You might have a scenario that pits the player against both Chinese and American military NPCs. Or you could travel back in time to find yourself in a secret military base with a large group of people who have travelled from the future and made contact with the pre-war government and military, so that the player can get involved in combat as an authorized agent of pre-war forces. Involvement with organized crime could provide quests like ones in New Reno from Fallout 2 which could allow combat and give the player a way to acquire money, false identification and new supplies and weapons.

Thats good too. Though, what I meant about leaping into someone else. Could be a "bug" in the time travel system. 'Cause technically it was a bug in Quantum Leap that caused Sam to leap from life to life. He jumped into the Quantum Leap Accelerator, before it was ready to be tested.

Not trying to force my idea on you, no, just explaining what I meant incase there was any confusion. >.> I'm a Quantum Leap nerd, blame my mother.

But yeah, ending up in some pre-war group could be neat. Though, I like a mod that could give me choices on which side to take. You know? Perhaps, the CIA could work. As for pre-war Fallout? Well, it's culture was essentially based off the 1950s depiction of the future, in america. A good website with some lore, and stuff would be the Fallout Wikia: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

The CIA could cover up the fact that you're there, by giving you a false ID and some money. Or you could work for some organized crime syndicate. Or something like that. I'm not quite sure.