3dsMax - Dawnguard Armour 3 (Rusty/red/"light" Var.) Crashing?

***PROBLEM SOLVED COURTESY OF ZZJAY, B3LISARIO, AND URIEL! SEE FOLLOWING POST!***

I have a very strange problem relating to the dawnguardbody3f_0 and dawnguardbody3f_1 meshes (the rusty, "red", light armour variant)...

Whenever I try to replace the Vanilla (or other modded) versions of THESE MESHES ONLY, my game crashes when I try to equip them.

The thing is - if I rename those meshes intended for the "3" Dawnguard variant to 1, 2, 4, or 5, they work PERFECTLY.

It is ONLY when they are used to replace the "3" version that they crash the game, and I cannot work out why.

I have tried simply replacing the "3" version with other modded meshes with a separated top & bottom - even meshes from other armours - and my game crashes. Other savegames, same problem.

For example, these meshes work fine with any other Dawnguard option OTHER than "3" (try renaming them to replace all the other variants, and then as 3):

***SEE "FastestDog DGF variant 5 troubleshooter" UNDER "MISCELLANEOUS" FILES AT MY MOD PAGE - CLICK THIS LINK!***

It appears to be something to do with the LOWER BODY only, and ONLY on dawnguard "3". Attempting to replace dawnguardbody3f_0 and 1 with ANY mesh that has a modded lower body causes the game to crash - even if those meshes are known to be in perfectly good order. By contrast, if I replace dawnguard "3" with my SeveNBase "Thieves Guild" meshes, which do not have a separate lower body, there is no crash.

These meshes, which do not contain a lower body at all, work fine for dawnguard "3":

***SEE "FastestDog DGF variant 3 UPPER ONLY" UNDER "MISCELLANEOUS" FILES AT MY MOD PAGE - CLICK THIS LINK!***

- the problem is not savegame related

- the problem is not Load Order related (*I even tried deactivating everything except the main Vanilla & DLC .esms, but it still happens)

- the problem is not texture-mod related

- the problem is not related to either the presence or absence of fixed BSLightingShader properties (*all the above meshes are simply grey "hot-out-of-the-oven" to test sliders, BSD's, & whether they will cause crashes).