marajuwana

grungeboy3

"A drug is neither moral nor immoral -- it's a chemical compound. The compound itself is not a menace to society until a human being treats it as if consumption bestowed a temporary license to act like an a$$hole." -Frank Zappa- (1940-1993)

That said, I have quite a few acquaintances in my hometown who have gone the "temporary license" path... one who's 45 years old (still living in his parents' basement and delivering pizzas for pocket-money), one who's 39 years old (pursued a career in cinematic lighting, stopped getting jobs because he came to work high on a regular basis, and now lives in a rathole apartment delivering pizzas for the same company), one who's 44 (pursued a career as a teacher, lost one job due to his "hippie" appearance, has kept a lower-level job to avoid urinalysis testing), one who's 45 (small-time dealer, homeless couch-surfer, hasn't held a regular job in years and has lost most of his teeth due to lack of dental insurance)... all of these people have had their lives negatively impacted by continuous consumption of marijuana. When I go home on Leave, it's highly uncomfortable to be around them... they have nothing new to talk about, no new experiences to relate... they just talk about television shows, and they speak to me condescendingly about "selling out to The Man" at least once a year.

Legalization & decriminalization arguments aside, I personally hate the stuff.

It's robbed me of a number of people whom I used to consider friends.

People who, effectively, stopped learning and growing up sometime in the late '80s.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who, effectively, stopped learning and growing up sometime in the late '80s.

unless its regulated medical grade and needed by some to relieve nausea and pain(which it does) I agree with Bean!

there's a reason it's called dope!

".

I lost some friends to alcohol as well. As for weed I quit smoking it myself, I have a nice life, a nice carrier, and a widen horizon.

It depends on the person who takes it, I guess. Not all who drinks beer or wine become alcoholics either, I believe.

I guess one can also become a superstar without ending up like Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson.

".

I lost some friends to alcohol as well. As for weed I quit smoking it myself, I have a nice life, a nice carrier, and a widen horizon.

It depends on the person who takes it, I guess. Not all who drinks beer or wine become alcoholics either, I believe.

I guess one can also become a superstar without ending up like Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson.

some people are addiction prone.Its a lack of 2 enzymes in the liver for alcohol to be processed.For drugs.All drugs are converted to a type of lasting substance( I forget its name offhand) but it remains in the brain and constantly applies a need to that person to drink or to use.

For a while this substance which is a derivative of heroine was used as a pain killer,but was so addictive that its use was stopped.This substance is also found in the brains of dead alcoholics who never used any drugs in their lives

".

some people are addiction prone.Its a lack of 2 enzymes in the liver for alcohol to be processed.For drugs.All drugs are converted to a type of lasting substance( I forget its name offhand) but it remains in the brain and constantly applies a need to that person to drink or to use.

For a while this substance which is a derivative of heroine was used as a pain killer,but was so addictive that its use was stopped.This substance is also found in the brains of dead alcoholics who never used any drugs in their lives

Cannabis is not chemically addictive in itself. The high from taking cannabis can be addictive, however, this only comes from regular use.

...And did you just compare marijuana to heroin? That's like comparing a cherry bomb to an A-bomb.

".

Cannabis is not chemically addictive in itself. The high from taking cannabis can be addictive, however, this only comes from regular use.

...And did you just compare marijuana to heroin? That's like comparing a cherry bomb to an A-bomb.

The addiction part is the only part I'd worry about myself. Not exactly the fact that it can kill people (maybe it can, but it hasn't yet), but the addiction can take a person and make them surround their life around marijuana and forget about all else that they once treasured. That's the part I'd be scare about if I knew someone who was taking it.

And yeah, heroin is bad, but it still doesn't kill as many people as the legal substance, tobacco. Not even alcohol (which is more widely consumed), kills nearly as many people as tobacco. Nor does the consumption of all other drugs combined equal in deaths to the amount killed by tobacco (Source: http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/30 ) However, that's a whole different discussion.

Well, people can surround their lifes around marihuana, some can get (psycologically) addicted, faults in their enzymes, and lack of Serotonine in the brain can cause more ore less addiction to marihuana OR alcohol. BUT we don´t speak about the hundreds of thousands that take pot OR alcohol ocassionally, without problems.

Why make it illigal because a minority has problems they will have anyway.

Neither do we make cars illegal because of the accidents? What about shotguns? They are really dangerous, but as far as I know every body in US has a gun(no offend)

Another view on marijuana, courtesy of Dar Williams (it's probably fiction, but still pretty good).

The Pointless, Yet Poignant Crisis of a Co-Ed

Sure, it´s good. It always touches ones feelings more when put into lyrics.

Fiction? i don´t know, she has propably experienced what she sings.