i have questions that needs answers

ineedanamethatworks

my friend and i were talking and he gave me the idea of making a island ontop of the wasteland and having water all around it and other smaller islands you can swim to and a ladder in the middle of nowhere you climb up to get to the big island and i was woundering if you can make land mass and water mass you can swim through and if you dive down to much you fall out the bottom and fall to your death and i want to make it like 4-5 times higher in the air than the washington monument and i seached on the the internet and it was like beating my head against a wall :wallbash:

ok i will post my questions more clearly now

can you make landmass float in the air?

can you make water mass in the air and swim in it?

can you make it so you can swim through the bottom and fall to your death?

can you make it that high in the air (4-5 times higher than the washington monument)?

can you make a ladder that high?

and will it make my game crash?

if it all goes great i will make this mod and post it up here for you all to enjoy and remeber this is going to be my first mod so there could be (probroly will) have alot of bugs so don't expect a number one mod and tell me if this idea is already taken.

I believe that water, no matter how high you make it will always go infinitely down. A floating land mass could be made but it would have to made from pre made sections (you would have to make them in 3d software then import them, you can't make more than one deformable land plane in a world space).

I have never tried placing a water plane sideways yet so you could try that and then put a fake water plane on top.

I tried placing water sideways once in hopes of making a reflective wall. It didn't work.

Not sure why you would want floating islands in the sky and oceans that you can fall out of, but that is your prerogative. Picking a first mod that does not attempt to defy the limits of the game engine might not float your fancy as much but will promise a greater chance of success.

If someone uploads a mod and says "This is my first mod. It has lots of bugs. Take it or leave it." I will leave it.

But thanks for the warning.

Static objects are not affected by the Havok engine, so Yes.

Yes, at least I have done this in an interior cell. I would imagine it would be the same for exterior cells as placeable water is also a static object.

No, swimming through the bottom (Yes it has a bottom) or the sides teleports you back to a coc marker or teleport marker near where you entered the cell. That is for interior cells, however. I'm not sure how it would work in an exterior cell. You might just fall to the ground.

can you make it that high in the air (4-5 times higher than the washington monument)?

There is a limit to the total Z direction. I think its 30,000 units. But I'm not sure about this. Exceeding the limit will either produce an error when you try to save, or will put all out of bounds objects into one location (looks rather wierd when this happens).

Again, based on the total Z max difference from bottom to top.

Since you won't be able to save something out-of-bounds, I would think not.

I'm not sure what would happen to misc objects that fell off the sides or through the bottom of your mid air level. Perhaps they would fall to the ground.

I just tested this for you by placing some placeable water above megaton and a bit of rock outcropping in the middle. I then linked it with two doors, one on the ground and one on the rock outcropping. I was able to see the rock/water way up in the sky and was able to teleport to the rock. I dove into the water and swam to the bottom. Unfortunately, when I emerged from the bottom of the watter, the game still acted as though I was swimming. So I swam in the air down to the land. Once I touched the land, I was reverted to walking again. I was not able to swim up anymore, just down and sideways. When I walked off the edge of the rock where there was no water, I fell to my death. :blink:

So it should work. Perhaps you can correct this via some triggers around the bottom/edges of the water, of this I am not quite sure.

Static objects are not affected by the Havok engine, so Yes.

Yes, at least I have done this in an interior cell. I would imagine it would be the same for exterior cells as placeable water is also a static object.

No, swimming through the bottom (Yes it has a bottom) or the sides teleports you back to a coc marker or teleport marker near where you entered the cell. That is for interior cells, however. I'm not sure how it would work in an exterior cell. You might just fall to the ground.

There is a limit to the total Z direction. I think its 30,000 units. But I'm not sure about this. Exceeding the limit will either produce an error when you try to save, or will put all out of bounds objects into one location (looks rather wierd when this happens).

Again, based on the total Z max difference from bottom to top.

Since you won't be able to save something out-of-bounds, I would think not.

I'm not sure what would happen to misc objects that fell off the sides or through the bottom of your mid air level. Perhaps they would fall to the ground.

I just tested this for you by placing some placeable water above megaton and a bit of rock outcropping in the middle. I then linked it with two doors, one on the ground and one on the rock outcropping. I was able to see the rock/water way up in the sky and was able to teleport to the rock. I dove into the water and swam to the bottom. Unfortunately, when I emerged from the bottom of the watter, the game still acted as though I was swimming. So I swam in the air down to the land. Once I touched the land, I was reverted to walking again. I was not able to swim up anymore, just down and sideways. When I walked off the edge of the rock where there was no water, I fell to my death. :blink:

So it should work. Perhaps you can correct this via some triggers around the bottom/edges of the water, of this I am not quite sure.

you my friend are very helpful and i thank you