Lets allow genetic engineering for humans

stars2heaven

What about viruses they insert dna into cells if we were to make a good virus (wed have to kill all of the white blood cells and keep them in a clean room) it would insert the dna from a bird and over the years their great grandchildren might have noticeable changes its fail proof See im great you just got to realize it

Erm, it doesn't work like that. Not only would you have generations which would be incapable of existing outside that environment, but you also open up many horrible possibilities for those outside. Not sure if you've been paying attention, but humanity has a rather bad success record when it comes to controlling or containing a virus. And those are natural viruses which aren't designed to screw with people's DNA. Something like this would be an absolutely horrible idea.

I know i watched resident evil real close but let me tell you something i belive that there is nothing in this world a bullet cant stop

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russian scientists have recently discovered how to make pig meat in a lab. Asian scientists created a glowing cat. I see this as only a mild beginning for all of the good, and bad possibilities with the human genome.

One case that was brought to my attention was the problem that could occur with using D.N.A. to falsely accuse someone of a crime. Another possiblity could involve using stolen stem cells to create an unauthorized fetus. (European scientists have made great strides in this area)

The benefits are just as great as the dangers.

I'm almost certain the U.S. has been experimenting with stem cells long before Obama gave the thumbs up. As pioneers of death and military warfare, Americans seized on the opportunity to create nuclear weapons when the secrets of the atom were discovered. Of course, we got microwaves too. But who knows what kind of biological weapons\aids exist, or will exist in the years to come. Cross your fingers.

I'd have to say yes, although at this point only to rectify malignant traits, wholly detrimental to the individual in question - gene therapy.

Definitely no on enhanced genetic engineering embryos, as this defiles the rights of the fetus.

I have a mixed view on enhanced somatic genetic engineering - people should have the right to attend potential targets such as vulnerability to diseases, and in time, the capability to modify one's own physical appearance.

Germline engineering would result in the same changes being made in all further generations of the original recipient. However, it seems that gene therapy of this type would present quite a danger.

However, advanced genetic engineering of those kinds, as well as applications such as extending life expectancy and increasing brain stamina, are just not possible and at this point, and will not be, for the foreseeable future.

But when the time arises, the complications that could arise from modifications to such integral parts of our body functions would be unpredictable and possibly quite dangerous.

Not to mention the unethical and hazardous human experimentation that would be a byproduct of performing such tests.

The current experimentation on animals is also rather unethical, in my opinion.

However, I feel that in time, genetic engineering will become more prominent. It holds very promising potential, and research and progression on the subject should continue. As technology progresses, perhaps genetic engineering will become commonplace - people would turn to gene therapy for a variety of purposes; examples of applications: curing muscle atrophy from prolonged periods in space, or treating a person with diabetes.

I also find Lee Silver's two books on biotechnology (especially Remaking Eden) very enlightening and interesting on this subject. Mr. Silver's predictions on the effects of genetic engineering on future society is particularly intriguing.

I would highly recommend anyone interested in the subject and looking for further information to read these books.

Genetic engineering in science fiction (especially biopunk) is also quite interesting. The Sprawl Trilogy, Jurassic Park, and BioShock are all examples of fiction in which genetic engineering hold a large place in.

In total, I wholly agree with the prospect of pursuing genetic engineering. Although it holds certain dangerous elements, the promise is too great to ignore.

Also, to rbrophy: the Maximum Ride series, by James Patterson holds a premise very similar to the one you are suggesting - implanting bird DNA in humans. Although it is not a realistic prospect, still.

I'm almost certain the U.S. has been experimenting with stem cells long before Obama gave the thumbs up. As pioneers of death and military warfare, Americans seized on the opportunity to create nuclear weapons when the secrets of the atom were discovered

America didn't pioneer death and warfare. *snip* ,death and warfare have been around long before the US came into being. All we have done is bring it to a point where others can fear us...good for us.*snip* I'd rather be safe than sorry

If you're going to complain about personal attacks, please refrain from inviting them.

- Vagrant0

Edited by Vagrant0

I'd have to say yes, although at this point only to rectify malignant traits, wholly detrimental to the individual in question - gene therapy.

Definitely no on enhanced genetic engineering embryos, as this defiles the rights of the fetus.

I have a mixed view on enhanced somatic genetic engineering - people should have the right to attend potential targets such as vulnerability to diseases, and in time, the capability to modify one's own physical appearance.

Germline engineering would result in the same changes being made in all further generations of the original recipient. However, it seems that gene therapy of this type would present quite a danger.

However, advanced genetic engineering of those kinds, as well as applications such as extending life expectancy and increasing brain stamina, are just not possible and at this point, and will not be, for the foreseeable future.

But when the time arises, the complications that could arise from modifications to such integral parts of our body functions would be unpredictable and possibly quite dangerous.

Not to mention the unethical and hazardous human experimentation that would be a byproduct of performing such tests.

The current experimentation on animals is also rather unethical, in my opinion.

However, I feel that in time, genetic engineering will become more prominent. It holds very promising potential, and research and progression on the subject should continue. As technology progresses, perhaps genetic engineering will become commonplace - people would turn to gene therapy for a variety of purposes; examples of applications: curing muscle atrophy from prolonged periods in space, or treating a person with diabetes.

I also find Lee Silver's two books on biotechnology (especially Remaking Eden) very enlightening and interesting on this subject. Mr. Silver's predictions on the effects of genetic engineering on future society is particularly intriguing.

I would highly recommend anyone interested in the subject and looking for further information to read these books.

Genetic engineering in science fiction (especially biopunk) is also quite interesting. The Sprawl Trilogy, Jurassic Park, and BioShock are all examples of fiction in which genetic engineering hold a large place in.

In total, I wholly agree with the prospect of pursuing genetic engineering. Although it holds certain dangerous elements, the promise is too great to ignore.

Also, to rbrophy: the Maximum Ride series, by James Patterson holds a premise very similar to the one you are suggesting - implanting bird DNA in humans. Although it is not a realistic prospect, still.

What makes it non realistic?

Did you read Vagrant's post at all? Birds have specialized bodies, designed for flight. These bodies developed over thousands upon thousands of years. If you've picked up a bird before, you may notice that it weighs very little. Unlike us. Our bodies are not designed for flight, and never will be.

Not to mention the countless social and ethical complications that would arise even if it were possible. How would we go about testing this?

Did you read Vagrant's post at all? Birds have specialized bodies, designed for flight. These bodies developed over thousands upon thousands of years. If you've picked up a bird before, you may notice that it weighs very little. Unlike us. Our bodies are not designed for flight, and never will be.

Not to mention the countless social and ethical complications that would arise even if it were possible. How would we go about testing this?

The reason for the body taking thousands of years is because it happened naturally this is artificial

I'm almost certain the U.S. has been experimenting with stem cells long before Obama gave the thumbs up. As pioneers of death and military warfare, Americans seized on the opportunity to create nuclear weapons when the secrets of the atom were discovered

America didn't pioneer death and warfare. pick up a history book and read it,death and warfare have been around long before the US came into being. All we have done is bring it to a point where others can fear us...good for us.Don't like it? leave! I'd rather be safe than sorry

*snip* personal attack without mentioning anything to moderators or providing evidence prior to injecting it into a public venue*snip*

My comment obviously wasn't meant to allude that Americans pioneered "death" and "military warfare", per sea. *snip*. It was a topic of reference meant to emphasize my next point, which was creation of nuclear weaponry; to which we are the pioneers. *snip* Rant *snip*

*snip* Rant, personal attacks, rant *snip*

But the point of this topic revolves around stem cell research which could potentially trump the nuclear card. The creation of a radioactive enzyme capable of infusing human immunity towards such weapons, is just one example.

Class dismissed...Rant over...

If you have an issue of past harassment by a member, please don't discuss it publicly. Either get help related with the service that those events occurred on, or settle it on your own. Thanks.

Getting personal in a debate thread never ends well. Getting long winded and preachy about certain facts, and about how you are apparently the only one who has any right to comment, also never ends well. Either play nice, or you will be given a time out.

- Vagrant0

Edited by Vagrant0

The reason for the body taking thousands of years is because it happened naturally this is artificial

That's not the point I was trying to make. Even if, by some tiny chance, you were able to implant an embryo with the proper genes to allow growth of wings successfully, the result could not fly. Sprouting a pair of wings from our shoulders/limbs will not allow us to fly. Our bodies are not designed for flight. In order to fly, our bodies would have to be very similar to a flying animal's. You cannot achieve this by just inserting several genes, and even if attainable, the end result would ultimately be pointless.

That's not the point I was trying to make. Even if, by some tiny chance, you were able to implant an embryo with the proper genes to allow growth of wings successfully, the result could not fly. Sprouting a pair of wings from our shoulders/limbs will not allow us to fly. Our bodies are not designed for flight. In order to fly, our bodies would have to be very similar to a flying animal's. You cannot achieve this by just inserting several genes, and even if attainable, the end result would ultimately be pointless.

Not nessceceryly (cant spell....) over millenia the test subjects children would evolve slowly but surely ending up with hollow bones smaller figures and wing size an eagle has an 8-foot wingspan imagine how big the wings would have to be it is nonlikely but not impossible